Iraqi MPs call for troop deployments in disputed areas
Iraq’s parliament on Wednesday called on Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi to send troops to parts of northern Iraq disputed between Baghdad and Erbil, including the oil-rich Kirkuk province, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
The request comes two days after northern Iraq’s Kurdish Regional Government (KRG) held an illegitimate referendum on regional independence.
The poll was conducted in northern Iraq’s Kurdish region and in several areas disputed between Baghdad and the KRG, including Kirkuk -- home to a number of major oilfields.
Parliamentarians also called for the closure of all international borders now under the KRG’s control.
Monday’s unconstitutional referendum had faced opposition from most regional and international actors who had warned that the poll would further destabilize the region and distract from Iraq’s ongoing fight against Daesh.
Related news releases
- 20.04.2018Turkish court remands 3 senior FETO members
- 20.04.2018Four Saudi security forces killed by gunmen in southern province
- 19.04.2018U.N. team fired upon in Syria while visiting suspected chemical sites
- 18.04.2018Peace treaty with North Korea possible following denuclearization
- 18.04.2018Iranian helicopter crashes into Persian Gulf
- 17.04.2018Putin, Merkel discuss Syria — Kremlin
- 14.04.2018Rouhani, Assad hold phone conversation
- 14.04.2018Ali Khamenei accuses US, France and Britain of crime
- 14.04.2018Iranian FM: US, British, French aggression on Syria breaches international laws
- 14.04.2018Israel: Strikes in Syria an 'important signal' to Iran, Syria and Hezbollah
- 14.04.2018Syrian air defenses shot down 13 missiles: state TV
- 14.04.2018Israel says Iranian drone it shot down in February was carrying explosives
- 13.04.2018Russia claims chemical attack in Syria was 'staged and directed by UK'
- 12.04.2018Turkish army neutralizes 3 PKK/PYD-YPG terrorists
- 12.04.2018At least 16 killed by bombing to the north of Baghdad
- 12.04.2018Russian MFA: Israeli air force’s missile strikes on Syria coincident with intensified activities of ISIS
- 12.04.2018Erdogan: Supporters of murderous Assad and PYD are mistaken
- 12.04.2018Israel warns Iran not to test its determination
- 11.04.2018Saudi-led coalition says it does not seek permanent Yemen presence
- 10.04.2018Seven Myanmar soldiers sentenced to 10 years for Rohingya massacre
- 10.04.2018Iraq to take "all necessary measures" to prevent IS attacks from Syria, PM says
- 10.04.2018Iran’s Zarif dismisses Trump’s Syria chemical attack comments
- 10.04.2018Erdogan: Perpetrators of E. Ghouta massacre to pay 'heavy price'
- 10.04.20184 Saudi soldiers die along Yemen's border
- 10.04.2018North Korea tells U.S. it is prepared to discuss denuclearization
- 10.04.2018As prince visits, Saudi Aramco to sign $10 billion of deals in France
- 10.04.2018Syria: 15 reported killed, 36 injured in Idlib blast
- 09.04.2018Russian military: no traces of chemical attack in Syria's Douma
- 09.04.201826 children dead as school bus falls into gorge in India
- 09.04.2018Syrian T-4 airfield hit by Israel’s F-15 jets – Russian Defense Ministry
- 08.04.2018Afghan air strike kills IS commander
- 07.04.2018US Embassy vehicle kills motorcyclist in Pakistan
- 07.04.2018China's state media says U.S. tariff action will be defeated
- 07.04.2018Russia says it will respond firmly to new U.S. sanctions
- 06.04.2018Saudi Arabia to dig canal along Qatar border
- 06.04.2018Israeli troops kill seven Palestinians on day of heightened Gaza border protests: medics
- 06.04.2018Iraqi security forces kill 3 Daesh terrorists in Diyala
- 06.04.2018Singapore police arrest flight passenger for bomb hoax
- 06.04.2018Iranian defense minister disbelieves Trump’s rhetoric on withdrawal from Syria
- 05.04.2018Turkey, Iran, Russia say will work for stability in Syria
- 28.09.20174 killed in Baghdad car bomb attack
- 28.09.201780 civilians killed in shelling in Syria: UN
- 28.09.2017Militants attack Kabul airport during Mattis visit, U.S. strike kills civilians
- 27.09.2017Turkish air companies halt flights to North Iraq
- 26.09.2017Saudi Arabia allows women to drive
- 26.09.2017Baghdad to halt flights to N. Iraq post referendum