Iraqi Kurdistan's President will not run for next term - UPDATED
Senior Barzani assistant Hemin Hawrami tweeted on Saturday evening that the present KRG president had "refused to get any extension, or any amendments".
"President Barzani called for Parliament / President elections on12/7 to be held in Nov 1. Parliament extended its work for two seasons.
“President Barzani refused to get any extension, or any amendments. He sent a letter to the Parliament today. Parliament convene tomorrow," Hawrami tweeted.
On Wednesday, the KRG -- fearing more military escalation by Baghdad -- offered to “suspend” the results of last month’s illegitimate referendum, halt all military activity and enter into dialogue with the central government.
Tension has steadily mounted between Baghdad and the KRG since Sept. 25, when Iraqis in KRG-held areas -- and in several disputed areas, including Kirkuk -- voted on whether or not to declare political independence.
The unconstitutional referendum was heavily criticized by most regional and international actors, with many warning it would distract from Iraq’s ongoing fight against terrorism and further destabilize the region.
On Monday, Iraqi forces took over Kirkuk from Kurdish elements. The operation came weeks after an illegitimate independence referendum in territory controlled by the Erbil-based Kurdish Regional Government (KRG).
Kirkuk was among territory seized by Kurdish forces when the Iraqi military abandoned the city in the face of Daesh advances in 2015 but is not within the borders of the KRG’s autonomous territory.
Iraqi Kurdistan’s leader Masoud Barzani will not extend his presidential term beyond Nov. 1, a Kurdish government official said on Saturday, APA reports quoting Reuters.
A plan to divide up the president’s powers was outlined in a letter Barzani sent to the Kurdish parliament on Saturday, which it will discuss on Sunday, the official said.
Related news releases
- 23.11.2017Palestinian factions agree to hold general elections by end-2018
- 22.11.2017Iran’s General Soleimani: Over 6,000 deceived young members of Daesh carry out suicide attacks
- 22.11.2017Khamenei: Fall of Daesh was also a blow to U.S.
- 22.11.2017Medicine and bread prices go up in Iran
- 22.11.2017Lebanon PM Saad Hariri 'suspends' resignation
- 22.11.2017North Korea punishes top military leaders
- 22.11.2017Russian president, Israeli prime minister discuss Mideast settlement in Syrian context
- 22.11.2017Journalist shot dead at point blank range by police in northeast India
- 21.11.2017Army chiefs discuss de-escalation zones in Syria
- 21.11.2017Iranian president declares end to ISIS
- 21.11.2017Pakistani forces rescue 18 hostages near Iran’s border
- 21.11.2017At least three dead, 20 feared trapped after plant in India collapses
- 21.11.2017Suspected cholera cases in Yemen hit 940,000: WHO
- 20.11.2017Iran president due in Russia on Wednesday for tripartite talks
- 20.11.2017Third round of Iran-EU talks kicks off in Tehran
- 20.11.2017Iraq top court declares Kurdish referendum ‘unconstitutional’
- 20.11.2017Tuck-minibus collision leaves 17 dead in Pakistan
- 19.11.2017Syrian army clashes with IS in Abu Kamal — SANA
- 19.11.2017Militants shell southeastern outskirts of Damascus — media
- 18.11.2017India's Manushi Chhillar wins Miss World 2017
- 18.11.2017Japanese tug boat crashes into US warship during exercise
- 18.11.20173 PKK terrorists killed in northern Iraq
- 18.11.20176.9 magnitude earthquake hits southern China
- 18.11.2017Japan begins disposal of radioactive waste from Fukushima disaster
- 18.11.2017Hariri to leave Saudi Arabia for France on Friday: MP
- 17.11.2017World's first human head transplant carried out
- 17.11.2017Yemeni governor announces resignation
- 16.11.2017Pakistan's parliament restores finality of prophet law
- 16.11.2017Suicide bomber kills nine near Afghan political meeting
- 16.11.20172,200 cholera deaths recorded in Yemen since April: WHO
- 15.11.201748 terrorists killed, 13 villages taken in Iraq's Anbar
- 15.11.2017Opium production in Afghanistan hits record high: UN
- 15.11.2017East China road accident death toll rises to 18
- 15.11.2017Muslim state’s meddling in Lebanon ‘shameful’: Iran’s Rouhani
- 15.11.2017Indonesian police officer killed in shooting near Freeport mine
- 14.11.2017Syrian National Dialogue Congress to be held in early December
- 14.11.20175 PKK terrorists killed in southeastern Turkey
- 14.11.201722 policemen killed in Taliban group attack in Afghanistan
- 14.11.2017Air strikes kill 29 in market in northern Syria
- 14.11.2017Defecting North Korean soldier shot in back, survives to cross DMZ
- 29.10.2017Mattis, in Seoul, says U.S. can't accept nuclear North Korea
- 31.10.2017Pakistani Taliban commander killed in US drone strike
- 31.10.2017North Korea may respond to Trump’s visit to Peninsula with new missile test
- 28.10.2017Bomb attack kills one Bahraini policeman, wounds eight
- 27.10.2017Iraqi PM suspends military activity in disputed regions
- 27.10.2017Several killed in Tehran Refinery tower torch