Iraqi forces take control of town in Mosul
Iraqi forces have taken control of a town and two oil fields in Mosul from Kurdish Peshmerga forces, a statement from the country's Defense Ministry said on Friday, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
"The 15th Brigade Forces affiliated to the army took control of the town of Zummar, located some 35 kilometers [22 miles] northwest of [the city of] Mosul," said the statement, issued by the War Media Network, affiliated with the Iraqi Defense Ministry and aired on Iraqi state television.
With the latest two oil fields captured in Zummar -- among the disputed areas of Iraq between Baghdad and the Kurdish Regional Government (KRG) -- the number of captured oil fields rose to 44, the statement added.
Earlier this week, Iraqi joint forces -- including army troops, Federal Police units, and Hashd al-Shaabi fighters -- entered the oil-rich Kirkuk province following a tactical withdrawal by Peshmerga forces.
The Iraqi forces swiftly assumed control of the province’s strategic facilities, including the North Oil Company, Baba Gurgur oilfield, K1 military base, Mullah Abdullah oil refinery, Kirkuk’s main airport, and the Tikrit Bridge, among others.
Along with the entire province of Kirkuk, disputed parts of Iraq include the Tuz Khurmatu district in Saladin province, the Khanaqin district in Diyala province, and the Makhmur, Sinjar and Sheikhan districts in Mosul.
The military moves follow an illegitimate independence referendum late last month by the KRG, a poll opposed by most international actors.
Related news releases
- 24.06.2018Russian military demines Syria's Al-Naseriyah, South Douma
- 24.06.2018Senior Iranian Commander killed in Syria
- 24.06.2018Landmark day for Saudi women as kingdom's controversial driving ban ends
- 23.06.2018Turkey neutralizes at least 11 PKK terrorists in ops
- 23.06.20186 killed in landslide in Myanmar's northernmost state
- 22.06.2018Turkish army neutralizes 87 PKK terrorists in a week
- 22.06.2018Saudi-led coalition faces tough battle for Yemen's Hodeidah port
- 21.06.2018Trump: North Korea blowing up test sites, 'total denuclearization...has already started'
- 21.06.2018Syria’s Idlib rocked by twin bombings; 5 killed
- 21.06.2018North Korea preparing to destroy ICBM test site
- 21.06.201810 killed in road accident in NW Pakistan
- 21.06.2018Turkish airstrikes cause serious losses to PKK in Iraq
- 20.06.2018More than 240 undocumented migrants held across Turkey
- 20.06.2018Iran says no plans to increase missile range, rejects talks with Trump
- 20.06.2018North Korea expected to begin transferring remains of U.S. troops soon: officials
- 20.06.2018North Korea, China discuss 'true peace', denuclearization: KCNA
- 20.06.2018Uzbekistan starts direct negotiations with Taliban
- 20.06.2018Afghan president offers year of ceasefire to Taliban
- 19.06.2018Iran rules out OPEC deal as Russia, Saudi push for oil output hike
- 19.06.2018Russia, Saudi push for big hike in oil output despite Iran opposition
- 19.06.2018MERS kills scores in Saudi Arabia
- 19.06.2018North Korea's Kim in China; U.S., South Korea suspend military drill
- 19.06.2018US, Turkey start patrols in Manbij
- 19.06.2018Jordan’s king, Israeli PM hold discussions in Amman
- 18.06.2018Six Iraqis killed in Daesh ambush near Mosul: Official
- 18.06.2018US airstrikes kill 22 Hashd al-Shaabi fighters in Iraq
- 18.06.2018Turkish soldiers enter outer districts of north Syria's Manbij
- 16.06.2018Turkey hits 'critical gathering' of PKK in north Iraq
- 16.06.2018Blast taints cease-fire in Afghanistan, 20 killed
- 15.06.2018Yemen gov’t forces take Al-Hudaydah’s southern entrance
- 14.06.2018Kashmiri journalist shot dead
- 14.06.2018Moon celebrates peace as Koreas hold military talks
- 13.06.2018Arab states launch biggest assault of Yemen war with attack on main port
- 13.06.2018Russian military seize arms cache in Syria’s Homs province
- 13.06.2018Iraq: Al-Sadr allies with Fatah to form majority group
- 12.06.2018Trump: North Korea sanctions will remain, but ‘war games’ to end
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim sign document following Singapore meeting
- 12.06.2018Ex-NBA star Rodman bursts in tears after historic Trump, Kim handshake
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim complete extended format talks - UPDATED-1
- 12.06.2018U.S. unveils de facto embassy in Taiwan amid China tensions
- 21.10.2017Rockets strike downtown Kabul, no casualties reported
- 21.10.2017Moscow welcomes any action to combat ISIL
- 21.10.2017North Korea has the missile technology to destroy US carriers near its shores
- 21.10.2017Suicide bombers attack two Afghan mosques, at least 72 dead - UPDATED
- 21.10.2017Iranian commander issued stark warning to Iraqi Kurds over Kirkuk
- 20.10.2017Lebanon sentences 2 to death for 1982 assassination