Iraqi army retakes strategic border crossing with Syria
Iraqi forces on Wednesday restored the Rabia border crossing with Syria following the withdrawal of PKK/PYD terrorists from the area, according to an Iraqi military source, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
“Troops from the army’s 15th division have secured the Rabia crossing, located northwest of Mosul,” Iraqi Army Col. Hassan Reda told Anadolu Agency.
The strategic crossing links the city of Rabia in Iraq’s northwestern Nineveh province to the city of Al-Yarubiyah in next-door Syria.
“Iraqi forces assumed control of the crossing after calling on the PKK/PYD to withdraw into Syria,” Reda said.
The crossing has been closed to traffic since mid-2014, when Kurdish Peshmerga forces loyal to northern Iraq’s Kurdish Regional Government (KRG) captured the area from the Daesh terrorist group.
Last week, government forces moved into several parts of Iraq disputed between Baghdad and the Erbil-based KRG, including the oil-rich Kirkuk province.
Tension has steadily mounted between Baghdad and Erbil since Sept. 25, when Iraqis in KRG-held areas -- and in several disputed regions -- voted on whether or not to declare independence from the Iraqi state.
According to results announced by the KRG, almost 93 percent of registered voters cast ballots in favor of independence.
The illegitimate referendum was heavily criticized by most regional and international actors, with many warning that it would distract from Iraq’s ongoing fight against terrorism and destabilize the region.
Last week, government forces moved into several disputed parts of Iraq, including the oil-rich Kirkuk province, which is claimed by both Baghdad and Erbil.
On Wednesday, the KRG -- fearing more military escalations by Baghdad -- offered to “suspend” the results of last month’s unconstitutional poll, halt all military activity, and enter into talks with the central government.
Related news releases
- 24.06.2018Russian military demines Syria's Al-Naseriyah, South Douma
- 24.06.2018Senior Iranian Commander killed in Syria
- 24.06.2018Landmark day for Saudi women as kingdom's controversial driving ban ends
- 23.06.2018Turkey neutralizes at least 11 PKK terrorists in ops
- 23.06.20186 killed in landslide in Myanmar's northernmost state
- 22.06.2018Turkish army neutralizes 87 PKK terrorists in a week
- 22.06.2018Saudi-led coalition faces tough battle for Yemen's Hodeidah port
- 21.06.2018Trump: North Korea blowing up test sites, 'total denuclearization...has already started'
- 21.06.2018Syria’s Idlib rocked by twin bombings; 5 killed
- 21.06.2018North Korea preparing to destroy ICBM test site
- 21.06.201810 killed in road accident in NW Pakistan
- 21.06.2018Turkish airstrikes cause serious losses to PKK in Iraq
- 20.06.2018More than 240 undocumented migrants held across Turkey
- 20.06.2018Iran says no plans to increase missile range, rejects talks with Trump
- 20.06.2018North Korea expected to begin transferring remains of U.S. troops soon: officials
- 20.06.2018North Korea, China discuss 'true peace', denuclearization: KCNA
- 20.06.2018Uzbekistan starts direct negotiations with Taliban
- 20.06.2018Afghan president offers year of ceasefire to Taliban
- 19.06.2018Iran rules out OPEC deal as Russia, Saudi push for oil output hike
- 19.06.2018Russia, Saudi push for big hike in oil output despite Iran opposition
- 19.06.2018MERS kills scores in Saudi Arabia
- 19.06.2018North Korea's Kim in China; U.S., South Korea suspend military drill
- 19.06.2018US, Turkey start patrols in Manbij
- 19.06.2018Jordan’s king, Israeli PM hold discussions in Amman
- 18.06.2018Six Iraqis killed in Daesh ambush near Mosul: Official
- 18.06.2018US airstrikes kill 22 Hashd al-Shaabi fighters in Iraq
- 18.06.2018Turkish soldiers enter outer districts of north Syria's Manbij
- 16.06.2018Turkey hits 'critical gathering' of PKK in north Iraq
- 16.06.2018Blast taints cease-fire in Afghanistan, 20 killed
- 15.06.2018Yemen gov’t forces take Al-Hudaydah’s southern entrance
- 14.06.2018Kashmiri journalist shot dead
- 14.06.2018Moon celebrates peace as Koreas hold military talks
- 13.06.2018Arab states launch biggest assault of Yemen war with attack on main port
- 13.06.2018Russian military seize arms cache in Syria’s Homs province
- 13.06.2018Iraq: Al-Sadr allies with Fatah to form majority group
- 12.06.2018Trump: North Korea sanctions will remain, but ‘war games’ to end
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim sign document following Singapore meeting
- 12.06.2018Ex-NBA star Rodman bursts in tears after historic Trump, Kim handshake
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim complete extended format talks - UPDATED-1
- 12.06.2018U.S. unveils de facto embassy in Taiwan amid China tensions
- 26.10.2017Iran says defense capabilities not negotiable amid U.S. pressure
- 27.10.2017South Korea developing more powerful ballistic missiles
- 27.10.2017Australia Deputy PM Barnaby Joyce loses seat over citizenship
- 25.10.2017KRG proposes to freeze referendum results
- 24.10.2017Iran 'sentences Sweden resident to death' for spying
- 24.10.2017Diplomat: Iraq’s regain of power over Kirkuk has opened way to liberate other territories