Iraq Turkmen leader calls for ‘federal model’ in Kirkuk
The Iraqi Turkmen Front (ITF) is calling for a “special federal model” in the city of Kirkuk, an ITF spokesman told Anadolu Agency on Wednesday, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
“This is also in line with Iraq’s constitution,” spokesman Ali Mehdi said, noting that, since 2006, Arab and Turkmen members of Kirkuk’s provincial council had requested that Kirkuk be granted “federal” status.
According to Mehdi, the Turkmen people have never shown hostility towards their Kurdish neighbors. Nor have they ever taken part in any armed campaigns against specific religious or ethnic groups, he said.
He went on to attribute Iraq’s current precarious situation to “erroneous policies” pursued by Washington.
“The U.S. has never worked in the interests of Iraq’s unity or prosperity,” he said.
Pointing out that Iraq’s post-invasion governments since 2003 had been largely dominated by Shias and Kurds, he lamented the “political isolation” now faced by the country’s Sunni Muslims.
This situation, he said, had given rise to various terrorist groups like Al-Qaeda, which, he asserted, were covertly supported by the U.S. and some other states.
“Iraq’s Turkmen population is roughly two thirds the size of its Kurdish population,” Mehdi said. “But none of the country’s leading positions are held by Turkmen.”
Related news releases
- 18.01.2018Bus catches fire in Kazakhstan, killing 52
- 18.01.2018Palestinian teen ordered held until end of Israeli military trial
- 18.01.2018North Korea rejects sanctions talk, ready for 'successful' Olympics: diplomat
- 17.01.2018Syria talks to be held in Vienna next week
- 17.01.2018North, South Korea to march together under one flag at Winter Olympics
- 17.01.2018Date set for Syrian National Dialogue Congress in Sochi
- 17.01.2018Iran’s President has called a top priority for the Islamic world
- 16.01.2018UN rapporteur on Myanmar to meet refugees in Bangladesh
- 16.01.2018PYD/PKK activities in Afrin seen from Turkish border
- 16.01.2018Japan apologizes for false North Korean missile alert
- 16.01.2018Militant ambush kills 5 paramilitary troops in Pakistan
- 16.01.2018Barzani's party to boycott election
- 15.01.2018North Korean orchestra to perform in South during Olympics amid easing tensions
- 15.01.2018Erdogan vows Turkey will crush 'terror army' in northern Syria
- 15.01.2018UAE says Qatari jet fighters intercepted civilian flights
- 14.01.2018Iraqi PM announces coalition for May election
- 14.01.2018South Korea and North Korea to hold working-level talks on January 15
- 14.01.20184 schoolchildren drown in India as boat capsizes
- 13.01.2018Turkish military convoy dispatched to Syrian border
- 13.01.2018Erdoğan says Turkey will clear border of YPG terrorists
- 13.01.2018Iran rejects Trump's call for changes to nuclear deal
- 13.01.2018Agenda of Nazarbayev-Trump talks revealed
- 13.01.2018Nearly 2,000 Palestinians clash with Israeli forces in Gaza, West Bank
- 12.01.2018Israel to close 7 diplomatic mission worldwide: Haaretz
- 12.01.2018Unidentified gunman kills 4 women in western Iran
- 11.01.2018Magnitude 4.7 earthquake hits western Iran
- 10.01.2018Iranian FM Zarif to visit Moscow today
- 10.01.2018UN Security Council to discuss humanitarian situation in Syria’s Raqqa at Russia’s request
- 09.01.2018Bomb hits police vehicle in Pakistan's Balochistan, 7 killed
- 09.01.2018Turkey summons Russian, Iranian envoys over Syria Safe Zone violation - UPDATED
- 09.01.2018Khamenei: Recent damage inflicted on Iran by U.S. will gain a response
- 09.01.2018Seoul-Pyongyang talks on participation of North Korea in Olympic Games kick off
- 08.01.2018Husseinali Amiri: "Development of relations with Azerbaijan is Iran's strategic policy"
- 08.01.20187 Houthi rebels killed in Yemen’s Taiz
- 08.01.2018Gun battle in Jammu Kashmir kills 3
- 07.01.2018Over 30 undocumented migrants held in Turkey
- 06.01.2018Eleven Saudi princes detained following protest over utility bills
- 06.01.2018Four policemen killed in blast in Jammu and Kashmir’s Sopore
- 06.01.2018Yemeni Chief of General Staff Injured in Mine Blast Near Saudi Border
- 06.01.2018Iran stages pro-government rallies, cleric urges firm punishment for protest leaders
- 05.10.2017Erdogan: "Turkey to close borders with Iraqi Kurdistan soon"
- 06.10.2017Earthquake with magnitude 6 strikes Iwaki, Japan
- 06.10.2017Iran open to talks over its ballistic missile program
- 04.10.2017UN asked to help resolve Kashmir dispute
- 04.10.2017Federal Security Service Chief: ISIL may create another worldwide terrorist network
- 04.10.2017Train crushes 3 young men taking selfies on railway track in India