Iraq Turkmen leader calls for ‘federal model’ in Kirkuk
The Iraqi Turkmen Front (ITF) is calling for a “special federal model” in the city of Kirkuk, an ITF spokesman told Anadolu Agency on Wednesday, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
“This is also in line with Iraq’s constitution,” spokesman Ali Mehdi said, noting that, since 2006, Arab and Turkmen members of Kirkuk’s provincial council had requested that Kirkuk be granted “federal” status.
According to Mehdi, the Turkmen people have never shown hostility towards their Kurdish neighbors. Nor have they ever taken part in any armed campaigns against specific religious or ethnic groups, he said.
He went on to attribute Iraq’s current precarious situation to “erroneous policies” pursued by Washington.
“The U.S. has never worked in the interests of Iraq’s unity or prosperity,” he said.
Pointing out that Iraq’s post-invasion governments since 2003 had been largely dominated by Shias and Kurds, he lamented the “political isolation” now faced by the country’s Sunni Muslims.
This situation, he said, had given rise to various terrorist groups like Al-Qaeda, which, he asserted, were covertly supported by the U.S. and some other states.
“Iraq’s Turkmen population is roughly two thirds the size of its Kurdish population,” Mehdi said. “But none of the country’s leading positions are held by Turkmen.”
Related news releases
- 17.07.2018Women in Saudi Arabia Will Soon Be Able to Train as Pilots
- 17.07.2018Iran ready to boost uranium enrichment if talks with EU fail - Official
- 17.07.2018Protests in Iraq leave 5 dead, 190 injured
- 17.07.2018Syrian army says it captures strategic hill overlooking Israeli border
- 15.07.2018Indonesian police shoot dead three suspected militants
- 15.07.2018Rouhani: "The US ‘more isolated than ever’ over Iran sanctions"
- 14.07.2018At least 10 killed by landslide in northern Myanmar
- 14.07.2018Velayati: Russia wants to create joint electrical grid with Iran, Azerbaijan
- 14.07.2018China floods wreak havoc, block roads and railways
- 14.07.2018Palestinian teenager killed in Israel-Gaza border protests
- 13.07.2018Suicide bomber kills 128 in attack on Pakistani election rally
- 13.07.2018Former Pakistani premier Sharif arrested in Lahore
- 13.07.2018Indian planes carrying more than 300 people avoid mid-air collision by 200 feet
- 12.07.2018FBI Presents New Details on Lead Up to Saddam Hussein's Interrogation
- 12.07.2018Kim Jong-un: "Extraordinary efforts' made by Trump for improving US-N Korea ties
- 11.07.2018Iran Supreme Leader's aide hails 'strategic' ties with Russia before Putin talks
- 11.07.201812 killed in election rally in NW Pakistan
- 10.07.2018Death toll in Japan flood disaster rises to 156
- 10.07.2018Last remaining kid, coach evacuated from Thai cave - media
- 10.07.2018At least 140 dead after heavy rain and landslides in Japan
- 09.07.2018Death toll rises to 126 in W. Japan after flood, rain
- 08.07.2018Japan floods and heavy rain leave at least 41 dead, dozens missing - UPDATED
- 07.07.2018North Korea regrets US stance at talks
- 07.07.2018Iran calls for EU help as shipping giant pulls out for fear of U.S. sanctions
- 07.07.2018Insider attack in S. Afghanistan kills 1 US serviceman, injures 2 others - NATO - UPDATED
- 07.07.2018Indian army kills 3 civilians in southern Kashmir
- 07.07.2018Both sides seek to 'clarify' as Pompeo holds second day of North Korea talks
- 07.07.2018No breakthrough in nuclear talks as Iran demands more after U.S. exit
- 07.07.2018Israeli air strike hits Syria at Golan frontier
- 07.07.2018Palestinian killed as Gaza protests against Israel enter fourth month
- 07.07.2018Second Saudi teen kills self after playing online game
- 06.07.2018Iranian leader describes EU proposals to save JCPOA as ‘disappointing’
- 05.07.2018German Coalition parties reach deal on Migration
- 05.07.2018Iranian FM summons German, French, Belgian diplomats
- 05.07.2018Pakistani court sends fake degree mill owner to jail
- 04.07.2018Iraq urges world countries to repatriate Islamic State children
- 04.07.20184.3-magnitude earthquake hits southern Iran
- 02.07.2018Thai rescue teams find 13 missing in cave alive
- 02.07.20184 PKK terrorists neutralized in SE Turkey
- 01.07.2018Three settlements in Syria’s southwest de-escalation zone join ceasefire
- 05.10.2017Erdogan: "Turkey to close borders with Iraqi Kurdistan soon"
- 06.10.2017Earthquake with magnitude 6 strikes Iwaki, Japan
- 06.10.2017Iran open to talks over its ballistic missile program
- 04.10.2017UN asked to help resolve Kashmir dispute
- 04.10.2017Federal Security Service Chief: ISIL may create another worldwide terrorist network
- 04.10.2017Train crushes 3 young men taking selfies on railway track in India