Iraq Turkmen leader calls for ‘federal model’ in Kirkuk
The Iraqi Turkmen Front (ITF) is calling for a “special federal model” in the city of Kirkuk, an ITF spokesman told Anadolu Agency on Wednesday, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
“This is also in line with Iraq’s constitution,” spokesman Ali Mehdi said, noting that, since 2006, Arab and Turkmen members of Kirkuk’s provincial council had requested that Kirkuk be granted “federal” status.
According to Mehdi, the Turkmen people have never shown hostility towards their Kurdish neighbors. Nor have they ever taken part in any armed campaigns against specific religious or ethnic groups, he said.
He went on to attribute Iraq’s current precarious situation to “erroneous policies” pursued by Washington.
“The U.S. has never worked in the interests of Iraq’s unity or prosperity,” he said.
Pointing out that Iraq’s post-invasion governments since 2003 had been largely dominated by Shias and Kurds, he lamented the “political isolation” now faced by the country’s Sunni Muslims.
This situation, he said, had given rise to various terrorist groups like Al-Qaeda, which, he asserted, were covertly supported by the U.S. and some other states.
“Iraq’s Turkmen population is roughly two thirds the size of its Kurdish population,” Mehdi said. “But none of the country’s leading positions are held by Turkmen.”
Related news releases
- 24.10.2017IS terrorists control less than 5% of Syria’s territory — Russian defense minister
- 24.10.2017Oil prices inch up, support from drop in southern Iraq exports
- 24.10.2017Philippines: 42 terrorists’ bodies recovered in Marawi
- 24.10.2017Tillerson arrives in Iraq after rebuke from Baghdad over paramilitaries
- 23.10.2017Tillerson makes unannounced visit to Afghanistan
- 22.10.2017Super Typhoon Lan to make direct hit on Tokyo
- 21.10.2017North Korea has the missile technology to destroy US carriers near its shores
- 21.10.2017Moscow welcomes any action to combat ISIL
- 21.10.2017Rockets strike downtown Kabul, no casualties reported
- 21.10.2017Iraqi forces take control of town in Mosul
- 21.10.2017Suicide bombers attack two Afghan mosques, at least 72 dead - UPDATED
- 21.10.2017Iranian commander issued stark warning to Iraqi Kurds over Kirkuk
- 20.10.2017Lebanon sentences 2 to death for 1982 assassination
- 20.10.2017North Korea says to continue nuclear tests
- 20.10.20171 police dies, 4 injured in northern Iraq attack
- 19.10.2017Erbil says ready to hold talks with Baghdad
- 19.10.2017Turkish jets kill 4 PKK terrorists in northern Iraq
- 19.10.2017North Korea warns U.S. could face 'unimaginable' strike
- 19.10.2017Taliban insurgents kill at least 40 soldiers in Afghanistan
- 18.10.2017North Korea building new ballistic missile submarine
- 18.10.2017Iraq's Kurd region halts preparations for Nov. 1 polls
- 18.10.2017Raqqa drone video shows the city in Ruins
- 18.10.2017Communist Party of China opens the 19th National Congress
- 18.10.2017North Korean official: We won’t negotiate until we can strike US east coast
- 17.10.20172 UAE pilots killed in Yemen crash
- 17.10.2017Raqqa: IS 'capital' falls to US-backed Syrian forces
- 17.10.2017At least 50 killed in Taliban attacks on Afghan police - UPDATED
- 17.10.2017Massive Us-South Korean naval war games begin near Korean peninsula
- 17.10.2017Four nations meet to resume stalled Afghan peace talks in Oman
- 17.10.2017Iraq forces seize main govt HQ in Kirkuk: Police source
- 16.10.2017Arshad Al-Salihi: Kirkuk under control of Iraqi army and federal police
- 15.10.2017ISIL linked leader trapped, heavy Philippine fighting
- 15.10.2017Islamic State loses al-Mayadeen in eastern Syria
- 14.10.2017Tomahawks near the DPRK serious challenge to Pyongyang
- 14.10.2017Turkmen militia, Peshmerga clash in northern Iraq
- 14.10.2017‘Closer to the trigger’: North Korea renews promise to bomb Guam if attacked
- 14.10.2017UAE says fully supports new U.S. policy against Iran
- 13.10.2017US president’s anti-Iran speech pile of delusional claims: Rouhani
- 13.10.2017Small Quake Rattles North Korea Nuclear Testing Grounds, Not Manmade: South Korea
- 13.10.2017Turkish military convoy enters Syria's Idlib
- 13.09.2015Million more Syrians face displacement this year: UN
- 14.09.2015Iranian President Rouhani wishes Jews happy Rosh Hashana
- 14.09.2015Iran could become major supplier of natural gas to EU
- 12.09.2015Suspected kidnappers of Philippine mayor arrested
- 12.09.2015Two Britons killed as train goes off track in north India
- 12.09.2015Riyadh blamed for negligence in Mecca deadly incident