Iranian speaker dismisses "concerns" over presidential election reform bill
On Sunday, Majlis passed generalities of the presidential election reform bill. According to part of the bill, a presidential candidate requires at least 100 lawmakers to endorse him as a statesman or at least 12 members of the assembly of experts to endorse him before he can present his credentials, Press TV reported.
The opponents to the bill believe it is a violation of the constitution, which have been practised over the past years since the Islamic revolution in 1979.
The new regulations mean that the eligibility of presidential candidates should be further approved by the country's current political, religious and administrative figures.
Larijani also said the bill still needs to become a law if it is approved by the Iranian Guardian Council as the top legislative body of the country and the constitution observer.
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad expressed Sunday his disapproval of the election reform bill, saying that it is in violation of the articles of the constitution and it undermines the people's choices and limits their freedom, according to Press TV.
Ahmadinejad said the new regulations is an embodiment of appointing a president without referring to the people's vote, according to local media.
He also criticized part of the bill that proposes the establishment of executive boards by the judiciary to be in charge of holding the elections, said Press TV.
In the previous presidential elections in the Islamic republic, the interior ministry was in charge of holding the elections.
The Iranian speaker said Monday that the appointment of executive boards for holding the elections will not undermine the authority of interior ministry.
The interior ministry will still have some roles in holding the elections, but under the supervision of the executive boards, said Larijani, adding that this will further safeguard the presidential elections, slated for June 2013.
After eight years in the office, Ahmadinejad is no more eligible to run for the next presidential term, but he is critical of the hardline conservative faction of Majlis, which he believes are trying to prevent his followers from succeeding him.
Related news releases
- 30.08.2016Pro-govt forces claim to make gains in Yemen’s Taiz
- 30.08.2016Suicide bomber kills 54 in Yemen attack: health ministry
- 30.08.2016Rockets hit Saudi border town as Yemen war flares anew
- 29.08.2016Iran deploys Russian-made S-300 missiles at its Fordow nuclear site
- 29.08.2016Suicide attack in Iraq’s Karbala leaves 15 dead
- 29.08.2016At least 65 killed in Yemen suicide bombing
- 28.08.2016Turkish soldier martyred in PYD attack in north Syria
- 28.08.2016Turkish warplanes destroy ammunition depot in northern Syria
- 27.08.2016Turkish jets bomb YPG positions in Syria
- 27.08.201622 Daesh militants killed in Iraq
- 27.08.2016OPEC export revenues lowest in more than a decade
- 26.08.2016PKK attack martyrs 11 police officers in SE Turkey - UPDATED
- 26.08.201620 killed, 17 injured in central Nepal bus accident
- 26.08.20165.8-magnitude quake hits Izu Islands, Japan region
- 25.08.2016US Navy Ship fired warning shots at Iranian Fast Boat
- 25.08.2016Separatists kill 6 paramilitary troops in SW Pakistan
- 25.08.2016Twelve people killed in American University attack - UPDATED
- 25.08.2016Palestinian Foreign Ministry urges U.S. to ban citizens from trespassing Al-Aqsa Mosque
- 25.08.2016North Korea fires submarine-launched ballistic missile towards Japan
- 24.08.2016Israeli soldier shoots dead Palestinian driver in West Bank
- 24.08.2016Turkey-assisted Free Syrian Army captures 4 villages from ISIL
- 24.08.2016Syrian foreign ministry condemns Turkish incursion
- 24.08.2016North Korea Fires Ballistic Missile From Submarine
- 24.08.2016Putin to visit Turkey on 31 August
- 24.08.2016Turkish army, coalition forces launch anti-ISIS operation
- 24.08.2016Car bomb blast in Thailand kills one, injures 29
- 24.08.2016Turkey’s Erdogan meets with KRG's Barzani
- 23.08.2016Putin, Netanyahu discuss Mid-East peace process in phone call
- 23.08.2016Turkey evacuates town amid anti-IS Syria campaign
- 23.08.201640 militants killed in NW Pakistan military operation
- 22.08.2016Turkish gov’t withdraws military bases outside of major cities
- 22.08.2016Russia 'showed-off' over use of Iran airbase for Syria strikes
- 22.08.2016Russia stops using Iran's Hamadan airbase - Iranian Foreign Ministry
- 22.08.2016Bus falls off a bridge into canal in India, 9 dead
- 21.08.2016Iraqi air force kills 19 ISIS Commanders in Mosul
- 21.08.2016Major pro-rebel demonstration in Sanaa
- 21.08.201630 people confirmed dead, 94 injured in Turkey wedding blast: governor- VIDEO - UPDATED - 3
- 20.08.2016Iran, Russia agreed on delivery of S-300 missile defense system, says Alaeddin Boroujerdi
- 20.08.2016Magnitude 6 quake strikes off Japanese coast
- 20.08.2016Kazakhstan to inspect some schools over possible FETO links
- 04.12.2012UN pulling staff from Syria, violence near capital
- 04.12.2012Israel rejects European pressure over settlements
- 04.12.2012Russia ready to help own citizens leave Syria: Deputy FM
- 03.12.2012Israel under diplomatic attacks from Europe over settlement construction
- 03.12.2012France, UK and Sweden protest Israel’s decision on acceleration of construction of Jewish settlements in Palestine
- 03.12.2012Ambassador: Iran, Armenia’s 7th biggest trade partner