Iranian president's brother hospitalized on second day of detention
Hossein Fereydoun was summoned for questioning on Saturday in a corruption case in which he faces unspecified charges. He was later detained when he could not post bail, which was set at more than 15 million dollars, according to Fars News.
The Mehr news site later reported a representative had posted bail on Fereydoun's behalf on Monday evening so he would not need to return to prison from hospital. The site did not specify the amount of the bail posted.
Fereydoun is a senior diplomat who took part in the talks that led to a 2015 nuclear agreement between Iran and world powers. Some Rouhani supporters have interpreted the charges against him as a move by the hard-line judiciary to discredit the president.
Fereydoun appeared in court on Monday but was transferred to hospital after appearing unwell, according to the Tasnim news site.
"Fereydoun’s health was not good from the moment he appeared in court and, ultimately, because his health situation became critical, the questioning session did not take place and the accused left the court in an ambulance," Tasnim reported.
No further information was provided about Fereydoun’s health. Rouhani has not made any official statement about his brother’s detention or hospitalization.
Related news releases
- 24.09.2017KRG leader rules out delay to referendum schedule
- 23.09.2017Iran says tests new missile, after U.S. criticizes arms program
- 23.09.2017US bombers stage North Korea show of force
- 23.09.2017Turkish parliament ratifies motion on Iraq, Syria - UPDATED
- 23.09.2017Turkish defense minister urges KRG to call off poll
- 23.09.2017Barzani: US Position on Kurdistan’s Independence Vote 'Surprising'
- 23.09.2017Turkey says KRG referendum will have serious consequences
- 23.09.2017First vote cast in Kurdistan independence referendum
- 23.09.2017Iran successfully test-fires new ballistic missile
- 23.09.2017Kurd region poll to be held on schedule: Barzani
- 22.09.2017North Korea's FM: "Pyongyang could test a nuclear weapon in response to Trump's threats of military action"
- 22.09.2017North Korea's Kim says will make 'deranged' Trump pay dearly for UN speech
- 21.09.2017S&P downgrades China's credit ratings
- 21.09.2017Khamenei: Trump’s ‘foolish’ comments on Iran rooted in US defeats in West Asia
- 21.09.2017Troops kill 9 rebels in Northern Philippines Province
- 20.09.2017'Ignorant, absurd, hateful rhetoric' - Iran's president on Trump's un speech
- 20.09.2017Iran publicly hangs man for rape, murder of 7-year-old girl
- 20.09.2017Turkey mulling sanctions over Kurdish referendum
- 19.09.2017Turkish jets kill 3 PKK terrorists in northern Iraq
- 19.09.2017Iran says it will not renegotiate nuclear deal
- 19.09.2017Iraqi Turkmen leader: Barzani plans to annex Kirkuk to Kurdish region
- 19.09.2017Palestine: President, Hamas' Haniyeh talk on phone
- 19.09.2017North Korea: UN sanctions motivate acceleration of nuclear weapon development
- 19.09.2017Turkish president speaks with Iraqi PM on phone
- 18.09.2017Iraq Supreme Court orders suspension of Kurdistan referendum
- 17.09.2017Turkey names new head to religious affairs directorate
- 16.09.2017Car bomb kills one, wounds 10 in disputed Iraqi oil city
- 16.09.2017Iraqi army liberates ISIS-held Akashat town near Syria border
- 16.09.2017Rouhani urges EU to pressure US
- 15.09.2017Islamic State claims responsibility for London blast:
- 15.09.2017Turkish Deputy PM meets Rohingya group's head
- 15.09.2017Seoul holds emergency National Security meeting after North Korean missile test
- 15.09.2017North Korea fires missile over Japan that lands far out in the Pacific
- 14.09.2017At least 50 die in twin attacks in Iraq
- 14.09.2017Airstrikes kill 5 PKK terrorists in eastern Turkey
- 14.09.2017Malaysia’s prime minister calls Myanmar violence genocide
- 14.09.201725 dead in fire at religious school in Malaysia
- 14.09.2017Evacuated Islamic State fighters reach Syria's Deir al-Zor: pro-Damascus commander
- 14.09.2017North Korea accused of raising money by stealing bitcoins in hack attacks
- 13.09.2017Suicide bomb near cricket stadium in Afghan capital kills at least three
- 18.07.2017Challenges remain after Mosul liberation: UN envoy
- 18.07.2017Chinese ships warned to leave after entering Japanese waters
- 18.07.2017Iranian FM: Independence referendum in Iraqi Kurdistan is a wrong choice
- 15.07.2017Benghazi airport reopens after three-year closure during war
- 15.07.2017One dead, 4 injured in Tehran subway brawl
- 15.07.2017Clashes between Iraq's Army, Daesh militants resume in West Mosul