Iran to launch different Mowj class destroyers, Fateh submarines soon
“We will soon launch the Fateh class submarines and the second, third, fourth and fifth version of Mowj class destroyers, and one of them will be unveiled this year,” Head of the Navy’s Research and Self-Sufficiency Jihad Office General Ali Gholamzadeh said in a press conference in Tehran on Tuesday.
Asked if Iran is capable of building heavier and bigger destroyers than its first home-made destroyer, ‘Jamaran’, he said, “Now that we have acquired the know-how to build destroyers, there is no doubt that we can construct destroyers better than Jamaran.”
Gholamzadeh said Damavand destroyer is more equipped than Jamaran, although Jamaran itself has also been equipped with a number of Damavand’s equipment, including ‘Asr’ radar system.
He also announced that the construction of Fateh, a semi-heavy submarine with abundant possibilities, has ended, and the vessel is now under tests.
Iranian Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari announced last month that the country had gained the capability to launch production line of destroyers, and also announced plans to launch a new submarine in the near future.
“Today, the Navy has acquired the capability to launch the production line of destroyers and our project for building destroyers has started at the order of the Supreme Leader since a while ago and we are witnessing newer and more updated achievements in this project now,” Sayyari told reporters in Tehran.
He said that Iran’s new destroyer named Sahand is 30% more advanced than the country’s first destroyer, Jamaran.
Sayyari also said that Iran would launch its new submarine, Fateh, on the Navy Day (November 28).
In recent years, Iran has made great achievements in its defense sector and attained self-sufficiency in producing essential military equipment and systems.
Sayyari in July announced the Iranian Navy’s plans to launch one of its advanced home-made destroyers, named Damavand, in the country’s territorial waters in the near future.
“Destroyer Damavand will join the Islamic Republic of Iran’s Navy in the near future,” Sayyari told FNA.
Tehran launched an arms development program during the 1980-88 Iraqi imposed war on Iran to compensate for a US weapons embargo. Since 1992, Iran has produced its own tanks, armored personnel carriers, missiles and fighter planes.
Yet, Iranian officials have always stressed that the country’s military and arms programs serve defensive purposes and should not be perceived as a threat to any other country.
In June 2013, Iran launched its overhauled and modernized destroyer named Bayandor in the Southern waters of the country in the presence of Army Commander Major General Ataollah Salehi and Rear Admiral Sayyari.
Army officials said the Iranian Navy’s power of safeguarding the country’s territorial waters as well as maintaining security in regional and international waters will increase after the launch of Bayandor.
Overhauling the main engines, heat exchangers and fuel and oil systems as well as optimizing the monitoring control systems are among the measures adopted before launching the destroyer.
Navy experts have also mounted a fire control system for the destroyer’s weapons, a 76-mm and a 40-mm canons and a surface-to-surface Nour (Light) missile system on the destroyer.
Iran’s first home-made destroyer, Jamaran, was launched in late February 2010. The Mowdge Class vessel has a displacement of around 14,000 tons and is equipped with modern radars and electronic warfare capabilities and is armed with a variety of anti-ship, surface-to-surface and surface-to-air missiles.
Related news releases
- 17.01.2017Lavrov, Zarif stress importance of coordination ahead of Astana talks on Syria
- 17.01.2017Saudi says Trump stance on Iran and IS cause for optimism
- 16.01.2017Unknown flying vehicle shot down over Tehran: Report
- 16.01.2017Bangladesh court sentences 26 to death for 2014 murders
- 16.01.2017January 17 declared mourning day in Kyrgyzstan
- 16.01.2017Turkish Airlines cargo jet crash kills 16 in Kyrgyzstan
- 15.01.2017Double-decker bus in Hong Kong flips over leaving one dead, 16 injured
- 15.01.2017Duterte allows Malaysia-Indonesia help against pirates
- 15.01.2017Turkey completes building wall on borders with Syria, Iraq
- 15.01.2017Turkish jets ‘neutralize’ 6 PKK terrorists in E.Turkey
- 14.01.2017At least 23 people die as result of shipwreck on Ganges in India
- 14.01.2017Iraqi forces push onto Mosul University grounds
- 14.01.2017Palestinian president says Paris conference ‘last chance’ to implement two-state solution
- 14.01.2017Six dead, 15 injured in south China highway pileup
- 14.01.2017Iraqi forces reach Nineveh government building in Mosul
- 13.01.2017Tunnel collapse in Tabriz killed 3 and injured 2 people
- 13.01.2017Syria accuses Israel of bombardment
- 13.01.2017Five soldiers remanded over deadly Kayseri attack
- 12.01.2017Powerful blast rocks Damascus, casualties reported
- 12.01.2017Turkey neutralizes 3 PKK terrorists in northern Iraq
- 12.01.2017Russia, Turkey agree to coordinate airstrikes against terrorists in Syria
- 12.01.2017Iran’s first new Airbus jetliner lands in Tehran
- 11.01.2017Death toll from Kabul suicide blasts reaches 38
- 11.01.2017Iranian team Due in Saudi Arabia for Hajj Talks
- 11.01.2017Turkey condemns twin suicide attacks in Kabul
- 10.01.2017Two PKK terrorists 'neutralized' in SE Turkey
- 10.01.2017UAE ambassador to Afghanistan wounded in Kandahar blast
- 10.01.2017IS claims deadly truck-bomb attack in Egypt’s Sinai
- 10.01.2017Turkish jets hit 12 Daesh targets in northern Syria
- 10.01.2017Iraqi security forces disperse Baghdad sit-in
- 10.01.2017Armed clashes reported at police headquarters in Turkey’s Gaziantep
- 10.01.2017US increases support for Turkish military operations in Syria
- 10.01.2017Japan says always gathering information on North Korea's nuclear missiles
- 10.01.2017Iran receives Saudi invitation to discuss haj arrangements
- 09.01.2017Fire at ship breaking yard kills 5 workers in Pakistan
- 08.01.2017Former Iranian President Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani dies
- 08.01.2017North Korea aims to complete new ballistic missile development by 2018
- 08.01.2017Turkish company to build housing factory in Afghanistan
- 08.01.2017At least 25 injured in protest over Chinese Special Industrial Zone in Sri Lanka
- 08.01.2017Turkey, Iraq cooperation council vows to work for peace
- 24.09.2014Baghdad car bomb kills at least 14
- 24.09.201411 killed in cooking gas cylinder explosion in N. India
- 24.09.20145 dead, one injured at central China chemical plant fire
- 24.09.2014Osama bin Laden's son-in-law sentenced to life in prison
- 24.09.2014Islamic fighters advance in Syria despite U.S. strikes
- 24.09.2014President Rouhani critical of unauthorized US air strikes on Syria