Iran to launch different Mowj class destroyers, Fateh submarines soon
“We will soon launch the Fateh class submarines and the second, third, fourth and fifth version of Mowj class destroyers, and one of them will be unveiled this year,” Head of the Navy’s Research and Self-Sufficiency Jihad Office General Ali Gholamzadeh said in a press conference in Tehran on Tuesday.
Asked if Iran is capable of building heavier and bigger destroyers than its first home-made destroyer, ‘Jamaran’, he said, “Now that we have acquired the know-how to build destroyers, there is no doubt that we can construct destroyers better than Jamaran.”
Gholamzadeh said Damavand destroyer is more equipped than Jamaran, although Jamaran itself has also been equipped with a number of Damavand’s equipment, including ‘Asr’ radar system.
He also announced that the construction of Fateh, a semi-heavy submarine with abundant possibilities, has ended, and the vessel is now under tests.
Iranian Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari announced last month that the country had gained the capability to launch production line of destroyers, and also announced plans to launch a new submarine in the near future.
“Today, the Navy has acquired the capability to launch the production line of destroyers and our project for building destroyers has started at the order of the Supreme Leader since a while ago and we are witnessing newer and more updated achievements in this project now,” Sayyari told reporters in Tehran.
He said that Iran’s new destroyer named Sahand is 30% more advanced than the country’s first destroyer, Jamaran.
Sayyari also said that Iran would launch its new submarine, Fateh, on the Navy Day (November 28).
In recent years, Iran has made great achievements in its defense sector and attained self-sufficiency in producing essential military equipment and systems.
Sayyari in July announced the Iranian Navy’s plans to launch one of its advanced home-made destroyers, named Damavand, in the country’s territorial waters in the near future.
“Destroyer Damavand will join the Islamic Republic of Iran’s Navy in the near future,” Sayyari told FNA.
Tehran launched an arms development program during the 1980-88 Iraqi imposed war on Iran to compensate for a US weapons embargo. Since 1992, Iran has produced its own tanks, armored personnel carriers, missiles and fighter planes.
Yet, Iranian officials have always stressed that the country’s military and arms programs serve defensive purposes and should not be perceived as a threat to any other country.
In June 2013, Iran launched its overhauled and modernized destroyer named Bayandor in the Southern waters of the country in the presence of Army Commander Major General Ataollah Salehi and Rear Admiral Sayyari.
Army officials said the Iranian Navy’s power of safeguarding the country’s territorial waters as well as maintaining security in regional and international waters will increase after the launch of Bayandor.
Overhauling the main engines, heat exchangers and fuel and oil systems as well as optimizing the monitoring control systems are among the measures adopted before launching the destroyer.
Navy experts have also mounted a fire control system for the destroyer’s weapons, a 76-mm and a 40-mm canons and a surface-to-surface Nour (Light) missile system on the destroyer.
Iran’s first home-made destroyer, Jamaran, was launched in late February 2010. The Mowdge Class vessel has a displacement of around 14,000 tons and is equipped with modern radars and electronic warfare capabilities and is armed with a variety of anti-ship, surface-to-surface and surface-to-air missiles.
Related news releases
- 07.12.2016'No survivors' after plane crash in northern Pakistan mountains
- 07.12.2016Syrian troops take full control over 47 quarters of eastern Aleppo
- 07.12.2016Pakistani plane with 47 people aboard crashes - UPDATED
- 07.12.2016Car bomb attack leaves two Turkish soldiers dead in Syria's al-Bab
- 07.12.2016Russian colonel killed in Aleppo shelling by opposition militants
- 07.12.2016Indonesia earthquake kills at least 54 people - VIDEO - UPDATED
- 06.12.2016Syrian government forces advance on 2 fronts in Aleppo
- 06.12.2016Saudi Court Sentences 15 Men to Death for Spying for Iran
- 06.12.2016Iranian speaker: Good prospects for further development of Iran-Azerbaijan ties
- 06.12.2016Iranian billionaire Babak Zanjani’s death sentence may be revoked
- 06.12.2016Indian Air Force plane carrying president to Chennai returns to Delhi after mid-air snag
- 06.12.201611 trapped in central China mine accident
- 06.12.2016Islamic State urges supporters to stage new wave of attacks
- 06.12.2016West Mosul shelled as Iraq steps up fight against Islamic State
- 06.12.2016Israeli legislators advance revised bill to legalize settlements
- 05.12.2016French PM Valls makes presidential bid, quits government
- 05.12.2016Russian female doctor killed in Aleppo hospital shelling
- 03.12.2016Malaysia says Myanmar violence against Muslim Rohingya 'ethnic cleansing'
- 03.12.2016South Korea opposition introduces bill to impeach scandal-tainted Park
- 03.12.2016Philippines' Duterte gets Trump White House invite during 'animated' call
- 02.12.2016Iran says U.S. extension of sanctions act violates nuclear deal
- 02.12.2016Iran develops bill banning import of US-made goods
- 02.12.2016Japan to impose additional sanctions on North Korea
- 01.12.2016Attack on military camp forces India to expedite tech
- 01.12.2016Thailand's crown prince becomes country's new king
- 01.12.2016Training plane crashes in Iran
- 01.12.2016Lavrov: Air strikes on Turkish soldiers carried out by neither Russia nor Syria
- 01.12.2016Another Abian para; case suspected in central Japan
- 30.11.2016U.N. imposes new sanctions on North Korea to slash cash from exports
- 30.11.2016Erdogan discusses Syrian issue with Putin over telephone
- 30.11.2016SKorea opposition parties discuss when to impeach president
- 30.11.201620,000 Syrians have fled east Aleppo this week: Red Cross
- 30.11.2016Contact lost with 2 Turkish soldiers in Syria's north
- 30.11.2016At Least 7 Indian Servicemen Killed in Attack on Military Camp in Jammu
- 29.11.2016Dorm fire kills 12 students, injures 22 in southern Turkey - UPDATED
- 29.11.2016PKK affiliate claims terrorist attack in Turkey's Adana
- 29.11.2016Afghan general dies in helicopter crash
- 29.11.2016ISIL commander killed in Iran
- 29.11.2016Israel completes int’l fire-fighting ops against wildfires
- 29.11.2016Scientists record biggest ever coral die-off on Australia's Great Barrier Reef
- 24.09.2014Baghdad car bomb kills at least 14
- 24.09.201411 killed in cooking gas cylinder explosion in N. India
- 24.09.20145 dead, one injured at central China chemical plant fire
- 24.09.2014Osama bin Laden's son-in-law sentenced to life in prison
- 24.09.2014Islamic fighters advance in Syria despite U.S. strikes
- 24.09.2014President Rouhani critical of unauthorized US air strikes on Syria