Iran to launch different Mowj class destroyers, Fateh submarines soon
“We will soon launch the Fateh class submarines and the second, third, fourth and fifth version of Mowj class destroyers, and one of them will be unveiled this year,” Head of the Navy’s Research and Self-Sufficiency Jihad Office General Ali Gholamzadeh said in a press conference in Tehran on Tuesday.
Asked if Iran is capable of building heavier and bigger destroyers than its first home-made destroyer, ‘Jamaran’, he said, “Now that we have acquired the know-how to build destroyers, there is no doubt that we can construct destroyers better than Jamaran.”
Gholamzadeh said Damavand destroyer is more equipped than Jamaran, although Jamaran itself has also been equipped with a number of Damavand’s equipment, including ‘Asr’ radar system.
He also announced that the construction of Fateh, a semi-heavy submarine with abundant possibilities, has ended, and the vessel is now under tests.
Iranian Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari announced last month that the country had gained the capability to launch production line of destroyers, and also announced plans to launch a new submarine in the near future.
“Today, the Navy has acquired the capability to launch the production line of destroyers and our project for building destroyers has started at the order of the Supreme Leader since a while ago and we are witnessing newer and more updated achievements in this project now,” Sayyari told reporters in Tehran.
He said that Iran’s new destroyer named Sahand is 30% more advanced than the country’s first destroyer, Jamaran.
Sayyari also said that Iran would launch its new submarine, Fateh, on the Navy Day (November 28).
In recent years, Iran has made great achievements in its defense sector and attained self-sufficiency in producing essential military equipment and systems.
Sayyari in July announced the Iranian Navy’s plans to launch one of its advanced home-made destroyers, named Damavand, in the country’s territorial waters in the near future.
“Destroyer Damavand will join the Islamic Republic of Iran’s Navy in the near future,” Sayyari told FNA.
Tehran launched an arms development program during the 1980-88 Iraqi imposed war on Iran to compensate for a US weapons embargo. Since 1992, Iran has produced its own tanks, armored personnel carriers, missiles and fighter planes.
Yet, Iranian officials have always stressed that the country’s military and arms programs serve defensive purposes and should not be perceived as a threat to any other country.
In June 2013, Iran launched its overhauled and modernized destroyer named Bayandor in the Southern waters of the country in the presence of Army Commander Major General Ataollah Salehi and Rear Admiral Sayyari.
Army officials said the Iranian Navy’s power of safeguarding the country’s territorial waters as well as maintaining security in regional and international waters will increase after the launch of Bayandor.
Overhauling the main engines, heat exchangers and fuel and oil systems as well as optimizing the monitoring control systems are among the measures adopted before launching the destroyer.
Navy experts have also mounted a fire control system for the destroyer’s weapons, a 76-mm and a 40-mm canons and a surface-to-surface Nour (Light) missile system on the destroyer.
Iran’s first home-made destroyer, Jamaran, was launched in late February 2010. The Mowdge Class vessel has a displacement of around 14,000 tons and is equipped with modern radars and electronic warfare capabilities and is armed with a variety of anti-ship, surface-to-surface and surface-to-air missiles.
Related news releases
- 29.08.2016Suicide attack in Iraq’s Karbala leaves 15 dead
- 29.08.2016At least 65 killed in Yemen suicide bombing
- 28.08.2016Turkish soldier martyred in PYD attack in north Syria
- 28.08.2016Turkish warplanes destroy ammunition depot in northern Syria
- 27.08.2016Turkish jets bomb YPG positions in Syria
- 27.08.201622 Daesh militants killed in Iraq
- 27.08.2016OPEC export revenues lowest in more than a decade
- 26.08.2016PKK attack martyrs 11 police officers in SE Turkey - UPDATED
- 26.08.201620 killed, 17 injured in central Nepal bus accident
- 26.08.20165.8-magnitude quake hits Izu Islands, Japan region
- 25.08.2016US Navy Ship fired warning shots at Iranian Fast Boat
- 25.08.2016Separatists kill 6 paramilitary troops in SW Pakistan
- 25.08.2016Twelve people killed in American University attack - UPDATED
- 25.08.2016Palestinian Foreign Ministry urges U.S. to ban citizens from trespassing Al-Aqsa Mosque
- 25.08.2016North Korea fires submarine-launched ballistic missile towards Japan
- 24.08.2016Israeli soldier shoots dead Palestinian driver in West Bank
- 24.08.2016Turkey-assisted Free Syrian Army captures 4 villages from ISIL
- 24.08.2016Syrian foreign ministry condemns Turkish incursion
- 24.08.2016North Korea Fires Ballistic Missile From Submarine
- 24.08.2016Putin to visit Turkey on 31 August
- 24.08.2016Turkish army, coalition forces launch anti-ISIS operation
- 24.08.2016Car bomb blast in Thailand kills one, injures 29
- 24.08.2016Turkey’s Erdogan meets with KRG's Barzani
- 23.08.2016Putin, Netanyahu discuss Mid-East peace process in phone call
- 23.08.2016Turkey evacuates town amid anti-IS Syria campaign
- 23.08.201640 militants killed in NW Pakistan military operation
- 22.08.2016Turkish gov’t withdraws military bases outside of major cities
- 22.08.2016Russia 'showed-off' over use of Iran airbase for Syria strikes
- 22.08.2016Russia stops using Iran's Hamadan airbase - Iranian Foreign Ministry
- 22.08.2016Bus falls off a bridge into canal in India, 9 dead
- 21.08.2016Iraqi air force kills 19 ISIS Commanders in Mosul
- 21.08.2016Major pro-rebel demonstration in Sanaa
- 21.08.201630 people confirmed dead, 94 injured in Turkey wedding blast: governor- VIDEO - UPDATED - 3
- 20.08.2016Iran, Russia agreed on delivery of S-300 missile defense system, says Alaeddin Boroujerdi
- 20.08.2016Magnitude 6 quake strikes off Japanese coast
- 20.08.2016Kazakhstan to inspect some schools over possible FETO links
- 20.08.2016Turkey changes its policy on Syria
- 20.08.2016Iran says Russia may use other airbases
- 20.08.2016Russia offers Iran to buy S400 missiles
- 20.08.2016Turkish parliament ratifies settlement deal with Israel
- 24.09.2014Baghdad car bomb kills at least 14
- 24.09.201411 killed in cooking gas cylinder explosion in N. India
- 24.09.20145 dead, one injured at central China chemical plant fire
- 24.09.2014Osama bin Laden's son-in-law sentenced to life in prison
- 24.09.2014Islamic fighters advance in Syria despite U.S. strikes
- 24.09.2014President Rouhani critical of unauthorized US air strikes on Syria