Iran says has missiles capable of striking US forces in case of invasion
The chief commander of Islamic Revolution Guard Corps said that there is capability to increase the range of Iranian missiles, but it is sufficient now, APA reports quoting Sputnik.
The range of Iranian missiles is sufficient to strike the US forces deployed in the region in case they attempt any aggressive steps against Iran, Maj. Gen. Mohammad Ali Jafari, the chief commander of Islamic Revolution Guard Corps, said Tuesday.
"There is the capability to increase this range, but it is sufficient for now as the Americans are present within a 2,000-kilometer [1,240 miles] radius around the country, and would get a response in the case of any invasion," the IRGC chief commander was quoted as saying by the ISNA news agency.
Jafari added that Washington feared the possible war with Iran, in which the United States is likely to be defeated.
The relations between Iran and Washington have been extremely tense over the past several months over the Iranian nuclear deal and the imposition of new US sanctions on Iran.
On Thursday, the US House of Representatives approved a new package of sanctions against Iran, targeting its ballistic missile program, prior to which US President Donald Trump refused to re-certify the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, the agreement signed by six nations after years of diplomatic work, accusing the Islamic Republic of violating the spirit of the agreement. Despite the fact that Trump decided not to contest at the international level Tehran's compliance with the deal, he has not excluded the US' possible withdrawal from the deal in case if the agreement is not improved.
Related news releases
- 24.06.2018Russian military demines Syria's Al-Naseriyah, South Douma
- 24.06.2018Senior Iranian Commander killed in Syria
- 24.06.2018Landmark day for Saudi women as kingdom's controversial driving ban ends
- 23.06.2018Turkey neutralizes at least 11 PKK terrorists in ops
- 23.06.20186 killed in landslide in Myanmar's northernmost state
- 22.06.2018Turkish army neutralizes 87 PKK terrorists in a week
- 22.06.2018Saudi-led coalition faces tough battle for Yemen's Hodeidah port
- 21.06.2018Trump: North Korea blowing up test sites, 'total denuclearization...has already started'
- 21.06.2018Syria’s Idlib rocked by twin bombings; 5 killed
- 21.06.2018North Korea preparing to destroy ICBM test site
- 21.06.201810 killed in road accident in NW Pakistan
- 21.06.2018Turkish airstrikes cause serious losses to PKK in Iraq
- 20.06.2018More than 240 undocumented migrants held across Turkey
- 20.06.2018Iran says no plans to increase missile range, rejects talks with Trump
- 20.06.2018North Korea expected to begin transferring remains of U.S. troops soon: officials
- 20.06.2018North Korea, China discuss 'true peace', denuclearization: KCNA
- 20.06.2018Uzbekistan starts direct negotiations with Taliban
- 20.06.2018Afghan president offers year of ceasefire to Taliban
- 19.06.2018Iran rules out OPEC deal as Russia, Saudi push for oil output hike
- 19.06.2018Russia, Saudi push for big hike in oil output despite Iran opposition
- 19.06.2018MERS kills scores in Saudi Arabia
- 19.06.2018North Korea's Kim in China; U.S., South Korea suspend military drill
- 19.06.2018US, Turkey start patrols in Manbij
- 19.06.2018Jordan’s king, Israeli PM hold discussions in Amman
- 18.06.2018Six Iraqis killed in Daesh ambush near Mosul: Official
- 18.06.2018US airstrikes kill 22 Hashd al-Shaabi fighters in Iraq
- 18.06.2018Turkish soldiers enter outer districts of north Syria's Manbij
- 16.06.2018Turkey hits 'critical gathering' of PKK in north Iraq
- 16.06.2018Blast taints cease-fire in Afghanistan, 20 killed
- 15.06.2018Yemen gov’t forces take Al-Hudaydah’s southern entrance
- 14.06.2018Kashmiri journalist shot dead
- 14.06.2018Moon celebrates peace as Koreas hold military talks
- 13.06.2018Arab states launch biggest assault of Yemen war with attack on main port
- 13.06.2018Russian military seize arms cache in Syria’s Homs province
- 13.06.2018Iraq: Al-Sadr allies with Fatah to form majority group
- 12.06.2018Trump: North Korea sanctions will remain, but ‘war games’ to end
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim sign document following Singapore meeting
- 12.06.2018Ex-NBA star Rodman bursts in tears after historic Trump, Kim handshake
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim complete extended format talks - UPDATED-1
- 12.06.2018U.S. unveils de facto embassy in Taiwan amid China tensions
- 02.11.2017Explosion at Indian power plant kills 16, injures dozens
- 02.11.2017Eight security personnel killed in armed standoff with PKK militants in Turkey
- 02.11.2017Supreme Leader Khamenei says U.S. is Iran's 'number one enemy'
- 01.11.2017Iraqi government sets date for parliamentary election
- 31.10.2017Turkish court remands in custody 2 FETO suspects
- 31.10.2017Moscow, Kabul agree to jointly fight against terrorism