Iran's Rafsanjani condemns Saudi-led airstrikes in Yemen
Baku-APA. Iran's Expediency Council Chairman Ayatollah Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani on Saturday condemned a Saudi Arabia-led air operation to halt advance of Shiite Houthi group in Yemen, APA reports quoting AA.
"The air operation led by Saudi Arabia is faulty and dangerous, and unfortunately some Arab states are randomly bombing Yemen with baseless claims," Iran's official IRNA news agency quoted Rafsanjani as saying.
Rafsanjani stated these states were playing with fire, which he said would cause tension, insecurity and killing of many civilians in the region.
Rafsanjani also accused coalition members of failing to take a step against Israel over its 50-year occupation in Jerusalem.
"They are now united against an Islamic country in the region," he said.
Several Arab states have joined a Saudi-led offensive, which kicked off late Wednesday with a string of airstrikes against the positions of the Houthi Shiite militant group in Yemen, including some in capital Sanaa.
Saudi Arabia said the strikes were in response to calls by Yemeni President Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi for military intervention to "save the people from the Houthi militias."
Fractious Yemen has been in turmoil since last September, when the Shiite militants overran capital Sanaa, from which they have sought to extend their influence to other parts of the country as well.
Some Gulf countries accuse Shiite Iran of supporting the Houthi insurgency.
Related news releases
- 23.08.2017Netanyahu: Issue of Iran's presence in Syria to be on agenda of talks with Putin
- 23.08.2017North Korea's Kim orders production of more rocket engines, warhead tips
- 22.08.201718 injured after bus overturns in Indian-controlled Kashmir
- 22.08.2017Top U.S. general in Afghanistan says new strategy based on conditions not timelines
- 22.08.2017Clashes in Palestinian camp in South Lebanon leave 2 killed, 8 injured
- 22.08.2017Iraqi forces kill several foreign Daesh militants by shelling Tal Afar
- 22.08.2017Rocket strikes downtown Kabul
- 22.08.2017S Korean President Warns of Dangerous Fallout From Any US-N Korea Conflict
- 20.08.2017Australian men charged with terrorism over mosque fires
- 20.08.2017Iraqi PM says start of operation to liberate Tal Afar from ISIL underway
- 20.08.2017Saudi central bank says Qatari pilgrims can change riyals
- 19.08.2017Israel's Netanyahu to discuss Middle East with Putin
- 19.08.2017DPRK accuses Japan of planning cyberspace war of aggression
- 19.08.201720 killed, more than 150 injured after 6 coaches of train derails in northern India
- 19.08.2017Floods kill 10 people, displace 11,000 in South China
- 19.08.2017Lebanese army launches operation against Islamic State
- 19.08.2017Yemen violence worsening, more access to north needed: U.N.
- 17.08.2017Suicide blast in Gaza kills police officer, hurts five
- 17.08.2017Iranian president urges EU to step up efforts in nuclear deal implementation
- 17.08.2017Kyrgyz opposition leader convicted ahead of election
- 16.08.2017Detained Iran opposition leader goes on hunger strike
- 16.08.2017Afghanistan, Pakistan agree on need to restore trust
- 16.08.2017Mass graves found after Afghan forces recapture Shia village from Taliban
- 16.08.2017Turkish military kills 3 PKK terrorists in Iraq
- 16.08.2017North Korea delays Guam missile firing, U.S. says dialogue up to Kim
- 15.08.2017Syrian Military Jet Crashes in Suwayda Province - UPDATED
- 15.08.2017Philippines, ASEAN urge dialogue with North Korea
- 15.08.2017Fighting between Moro groups in Philippines kills 25
- 15.08.2017North Korea delays plan to fire missiles toward Guam
- 15.08.2017Iran appoints chief of influential expediency council
- 14.08.2017Blast kills six in Pakistan's southwest
- 14.08.2017Turkish jets kill 13 PKK terrorists in N. Iraq
- 13.08.2017Quake of magnitude 6.5 strikes off Indonesian island of Sumatra
- 13.08.20178 PKK terrorists killed in southeast Turkey
- 13.08.2017Bomb kills at least 15 in Pakistani city of Quetta
- 12.08.2017Former Afghan police chief jailed on corruption charges
- 12.08.2017Laos to withdraw troops from disputed border area with Cambodia
- 12.08.2017Flooding kills 11 in Iran’s northeast, west
- 12.08.201730 children die in hospital in northern India: medical official
- 11.08.2017Myanmar: Swine flu deaths go up to 23
- 29.03.2015Voting for presidential election begins in Uzbekistan
- 29.03.20155.8 magnitude quake strikes off Gorontalo, Indonesia
- 29.03.2015Turkey denies asking to attend Arab League summit
- 29.03.2015Iraqi forces kill 74 Daesh militants
- 29.03.2015Death toll in central China mine flood rises to
- 28.03.2015Tripartite meeting on Iran’s nuclear issue held in Lausanne
Top news of the day