Iran, Russia FMs discuss Syria crisis, Astana talks over phone
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov have exchanged views about important regional issues, among them the conflict in Syria, APA reports quoting Press TV.
In a statement released on Thursday, the Russian Foreign Ministry said the two officials held a phone conversation over the resolution of the Syria crisis based on the agreements made during the peace talks in the Kazakh capital, Astana.
The Astana discussions have brought representatives from the government in Damascus and opposition groups to the negotiating table in a bid to end the foreign-backed militancy in Syria, which broke out in March 2011.
Four rounds of the negotiations took place on January 23-24, February 15-16, March 14-15, May 3-4 and July 4-5. A sixth round is expected to be held in mid-September.
The fourth round of the intra-Syrian talks resulted in an agreement on four de-escalation zones across Syria, with Russia, Iran, and Turkey serving as guarantor states.
Three of the safe zones have been created to date in Syria’s central province of Homs, in the Eastern Ghouta area of the southern Rif Dimashq Province, and a southwestern militant-controlled stretch along the border with Jordan. They have sharply reduced fighting in the conflict zones.
The upcoming Astana talks is aimed at facilitating the creation of the fourth de-escalation zone, in Syria’s western Idlib Province, where significant concentrations of Takfiri terrorists, most notably from al-Nusra Front, are operating.
"Three de-escalation zones have already been established, the fourth one is being formed in the area of Idlib. The next meeting in the Astana format will be held in the near future, where I hope these agreements will be finally fixed in legal documents," Lavrov said earlier this week.
During Thursday’s phone call, the top Iranian and Russian diplomats also discussed the implementation of the landmark nuclear deal, known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), which was reached between Tehran and the P5+1 group of countries in 2015.
Related news releases
- 22.11.2017North Korea punishes top military leaders
- 22.11.2017Russian president, Israeli prime minister discuss Mideast settlement in Syrian context
- 22.11.2017Journalist shot dead at point blank range by police in northeast India
- 21.11.2017Army chiefs discuss de-escalation zones in Syria
- 21.11.2017Iranian president declares end to ISIS
- 21.11.2017Pakistani forces rescue 18 hostages near Iran’s border
- 21.11.2017At least three dead, 20 feared trapped after plant in India collapses
- 21.11.2017Suspected cholera cases in Yemen hit 940,000: WHO
- 20.11.2017Iran president due in Russia on Wednesday for tripartite talks
- 20.11.2017Third round of Iran-EU talks kicks off in Tehran
- 20.11.2017Iraq top court declares Kurdish referendum ‘unconstitutional’
- 20.11.2017Tuck-minibus collision leaves 17 dead in Pakistan
- 19.11.2017Syrian army clashes with IS in Abu Kamal — SANA
- 19.11.2017Militants shell southeastern outskirts of Damascus — media
- 18.11.2017India's Manushi Chhillar wins Miss World 2017
- 18.11.2017Japanese tug boat crashes into US warship during exercise
- 18.11.20173 PKK terrorists killed in northern Iraq
- 18.11.20176.9 magnitude earthquake hits southern China
- 18.11.2017Japan begins disposal of radioactive waste from Fukushima disaster
- 18.11.2017Hariri to leave Saudi Arabia for France on Friday: MP
- 17.11.2017World's first human head transplant carried out
- 17.11.2017Yemeni governor announces resignation
- 16.11.2017Pakistan's parliament restores finality of prophet law
- 16.11.2017Suicide bomber kills nine near Afghan political meeting
- 16.11.20172,200 cholera deaths recorded in Yemen since April: WHO
- 15.11.201748 terrorists killed, 13 villages taken in Iraq's Anbar
- 15.11.2017Opium production in Afghanistan hits record high: UN
- 15.11.2017East China road accident death toll rises to 18
- 15.11.2017Muslim state’s meddling in Lebanon ‘shameful’: Iran’s Rouhani
- 15.11.2017Indonesian police officer killed in shooting near Freeport mine
- 14.11.2017Syrian National Dialogue Congress to be held in early December
- 14.11.20175 PKK terrorists killed in southeastern Turkey
- 14.11.201722 policemen killed in Taliban group attack in Afghanistan
- 14.11.2017Air strikes kill 29 in market in northern Syria
- 14.11.2017Defecting North Korean soldier shot in back, survives to cross DMZ
- 14.11.2017Saudi Arabia to meet Syrian opposition next week
- 14.11.2017Army retakes 6 villages in western Iraq from Daesh
- 13.11.2017Strong earthquake hits Iran-Iraq border, kills about 450 - UPDATED-3
- 13.11.2017Iran sticks to key limits of nuclear deal: U.N. watchdog report
- 13.11.201725 militants surrender to Syrian authorities in Aleppo province
- 01.09.20172 security guards martyred in southeastern Turkey
- 01.09.2017North Korea Declares Start of Pacific Offensive Amid Missile Standoff
- 01.09.2017Afghan president says ready for dialogue with Pakistan
- 01.09.2017Vietnam says concerned about DPRK's missile launch
- 01.09.2017Deadly floods wreak havoc in Pakistan's Karachi
- 31.08.2017IAEA: Iran complying with 2015 nuclear deal