Iran ready to discuss oil with Saudis
“We support any form of dialogue and cooperation with OPEC member states including Saudi Arabia,” Zangeneh told reporters.
He said some Persian Gulf countries have announced that they are looking for trying to make economic benefits for themselves by helping to push down oil prices. “But what they want to achieve is not at all for economic gains,” said Zangeneh.
“If there were a strong political will, the price of oil would have been balanced within one single week,” he said.
The Iranian oil minister had in early January emphasized that the current oil prices harm all producers and certain countries’ insistence on overproduction is politically motivated.
“None of the oil producers is happy with the existing prices which will harm suppliers in the long term,” he has emphasized.
According to the Iranian minister, “there is a political will behind OPEC indecision over production ceiling in the organization.”
OPEC has been producing nearly a million more barrels of oil each day than its 30 million bpd ceiling for the past 16 months.
The organization approved a Saudi plan to scrap allocating fixed production quotas to member countries in its December 2011 meeting and introduced output ceiling of 30 million barrels per day (bpd) which does not specify quotas.
Zangeneh has described the decision a “historic mistake”, saying “making up for this big mistake and reviving the quota system in OPEC is a very hard task.”
Because of overproduction chiefly by Saudi Arabia and non-OPEC producers, there is currently up to 2.5 million bpd of excess oil in the market which has caused crude prices to lose around 60% of their value since mid-2014.
Related news releases
- 18.01.2017Daesh attack in Iraq’s Tikrit leaves 9 policemen dead
- 18.01.2017Iran's Rouhani says JCPOA helped increase oil exports
- 18.01.2017Coal mine collapse in China, kills nine
- 17.01.2017Iran, Syria ink 5 cooperation agreements
- 17.01.2017Lavrov, Zarif stress importance of coordination ahead of Astana talks on Syria
- 17.01.2017Saudi says Trump stance on Iran and IS cause for optimism
- 16.01.2017Unknown flying vehicle shot down over Tehran: Report
- 16.01.2017Bangladesh court sentences 26 to death for 2014 murders
- 16.01.2017January 17 declared mourning day in Kyrgyzstan
- 16.01.2017Turkish Airlines cargo jet crash kills 16 in Kyrgyzstan
- 15.01.2017Double-decker bus in Hong Kong flips over leaving one dead, 16 injured
- 15.01.2017Duterte allows Malaysia-Indonesia help against pirates
- 15.01.2017Turkey completes building wall on borders with Syria, Iraq
- 15.01.2017Turkish jets ‘neutralize’ 6 PKK terrorists in E.Turkey
- 14.01.2017At least 23 people die as result of shipwreck on Ganges in India
- 14.01.2017Iraqi forces push onto Mosul University grounds
- 14.01.2017Palestinian president says Paris conference ‘last chance’ to implement two-state solution
- 14.01.2017Six dead, 15 injured in south China highway pileup
- 14.01.2017Iraqi forces reach Nineveh government building in Mosul
- 13.01.2017Tunnel collapse in Tabriz killed 3 and injured 2 people
- 13.01.2017Syria accuses Israel of bombardment
- 13.01.2017Five soldiers remanded over deadly Kayseri attack
- 12.01.2017Powerful blast rocks Damascus, casualties reported
- 12.01.2017Turkey neutralizes 3 PKK terrorists in northern Iraq
- 12.01.2017Russia, Turkey agree to coordinate airstrikes against terrorists in Syria
- 12.01.2017Iran’s first new Airbus jetliner lands in Tehran
- 11.01.2017Death toll from Kabul suicide blasts reaches 38
- 11.01.2017Iranian team Due in Saudi Arabia for Hajj Talks
- 11.01.2017Turkey condemns twin suicide attacks in Kabul
- 10.01.2017Two PKK terrorists 'neutralized' in SE Turkey
- 10.01.2017UAE ambassador to Afghanistan wounded in Kandahar blast
- 10.01.2017IS claims deadly truck-bomb attack in Egypt’s Sinai
- 10.01.2017Turkish jets hit 12 Daesh targets in northern Syria
- 10.01.2017Iraqi security forces disperse Baghdad sit-in
- 10.01.2017Armed clashes reported at police headquarters in Turkey’s Gaziantep
- 10.01.2017US increases support for Turkish military operations in Syria
- 10.01.2017Japan says always gathering information on North Korea's nuclear missiles
- 10.01.2017Iran receives Saudi invitation to discuss haj arrangements
- 09.01.2017Fire at ship breaking yard kills 5 workers in Pakistan
- 08.01.2017Former Iranian President Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani dies
- 10.02.2016China confirms first imported Zika case
- 10.02.2016North Korea executes army chief of staff
- 11.02.2016Israeli opposition leader wants to begin separating from Palestinians
- 09.02.201612,000 candidates register for Iranian parliamentary election
- 09.02.2016US does not consider YPG terrorists: State Dept
- 09.02.2016Earthquake measuring 5.7 magnitude felt in New Zealand capital