Iran ready to discuss oil with Saudis
“We support any form of dialogue and cooperation with OPEC member states including Saudi Arabia,” Zangeneh told reporters.
He said some Persian Gulf countries have announced that they are looking for trying to make economic benefits for themselves by helping to push down oil prices. “But what they want to achieve is not at all for economic gains,” said Zangeneh.
“If there were a strong political will, the price of oil would have been balanced within one single week,” he said.
The Iranian oil minister had in early January emphasized that the current oil prices harm all producers and certain countries’ insistence on overproduction is politically motivated.
“None of the oil producers is happy with the existing prices which will harm suppliers in the long term,” he has emphasized.
According to the Iranian minister, “there is a political will behind OPEC indecision over production ceiling in the organization.”
OPEC has been producing nearly a million more barrels of oil each day than its 30 million bpd ceiling for the past 16 months.
The organization approved a Saudi plan to scrap allocating fixed production quotas to member countries in its December 2011 meeting and introduced output ceiling of 30 million barrels per day (bpd) which does not specify quotas.
Zangeneh has described the decision a “historic mistake”, saying “making up for this big mistake and reviving the quota system in OPEC is a very hard task.”
Because of overproduction chiefly by Saudi Arabia and non-OPEC producers, there is currently up to 2.5 million bpd of excess oil in the market which has caused crude prices to lose around 60% of their value since mid-2014.
Related news releases
- 19.08.2017Yemen violence worsening, more access to north needed: U.N.
- 17.08.2017Suicide blast in Gaza kills police officer, hurts five
- 17.08.2017Iranian president urges EU to step up efforts in nuclear deal implementation
- 17.08.2017Kyrgyz opposition leader convicted ahead of election
- 16.08.2017Detained Iran opposition leader goes on hunger strike
- 16.08.2017Afghanistan, Pakistan agree on need to restore trust
- 16.08.2017Mass graves found after Afghan forces recapture Shia village from Taliban
- 16.08.2017Turkish military kills 3 PKK terrorists in Iraq
- 16.08.2017North Korea delays Guam missile firing, U.S. says dialogue up to Kim
- 15.08.2017Syrian Military Jet Crashes in Suwayda Province - UPDATED
- 15.08.2017Philippines, ASEAN urge dialogue with North Korea
- 15.08.2017Fighting between Moro groups in Philippines kills 25
- 15.08.2017North Korea delays plan to fire missiles toward Guam
- 15.08.2017Iran appoints chief of influential expediency council
- 14.08.2017Blast kills six in Pakistan's southwest
- 14.08.2017Turkish jets kill 13 PKK terrorists in N. Iraq
- 13.08.2017Quake of magnitude 6.5 strikes off Indonesian island of Sumatra
- 13.08.20178 PKK terrorists killed in southeast Turkey
- 13.08.2017Bomb kills at least 15 in Pakistani city of Quetta
- 12.08.2017Former Afghan police chief jailed on corruption charges
- 12.08.2017Laos to withdraw troops from disputed border area with Cambodia
- 12.08.2017Flooding kills 11 in Iran’s northeast, west
- 12.08.201730 children die in hospital in northern India: medical official
- 11.08.2017Myanmar: Swine flu deaths go up to 23
- 11.08.2017U.S.-led coalition targets IS financial centers
- 11.08.201736 dead, 13 injured in NW China road accident
- 10.08.2017Counterterror operations kill 6 PKK terrorists
- 10.08.2017Bomb attack kills politician in Yemen
- 10.08.2017EU broadens sanction list agaisnt DPRK amid U.S.-DPRK war of words
- 10.08.2017South Korea threatens to retaliate against North’s provocations
- 10.08.2017North Korea Calls Trump Impossible to Communicate With
- 10.08.2017Up to 50 teen migrants 'deliberately drowned' off Yemen
- 10.08.2017Islamic State threatens new attacks in Iran
- 10.08.2017Poll to achieve ‘separation from Iraq’: Kurdish leader
- 09.08.2017UN envoy holds talks with Yemeni president in Riyadh
- 09.08.2017Death toll in southwest China earthquake rises to nine, 135 injured - UPDATED
- 09.08.2017U.S.-led coalition strikes kill 29 civilians in Syria
- 08.08.2017Number of powerful China quake victims rises to 88
- 08.08.20175 killed as 7.0-magnitude quake hits SW China
- 08.08.2017Turkey begins building border wall with Iran
- 10.02.2016China confirms first imported Zika case
- 10.02.2016North Korea executes army chief of staff
- 11.02.2016Israeli opposition leader wants to begin separating from Palestinians
- 09.02.201612,000 candidates register for Iranian parliamentary election
- 09.02.2016US does not consider YPG terrorists: State Dept
- 09.02.2016Earthquake measuring 5.7 magnitude felt in New Zealand capital