Iran ready to discuss oil with Saudis
“We support any form of dialogue and cooperation with OPEC member states including Saudi Arabia,” Zangeneh told reporters.
He said some Persian Gulf countries have announced that they are looking for trying to make economic benefits for themselves by helping to push down oil prices. “But what they want to achieve is not at all for economic gains,” said Zangeneh.
“If there were a strong political will, the price of oil would have been balanced within one single week,” he said.
The Iranian oil minister had in early January emphasized that the current oil prices harm all producers and certain countries’ insistence on overproduction is politically motivated.
“None of the oil producers is happy with the existing prices which will harm suppliers in the long term,” he has emphasized.
According to the Iranian minister, “there is a political will behind OPEC indecision over production ceiling in the organization.”
OPEC has been producing nearly a million more barrels of oil each day than its 30 million bpd ceiling for the past 16 months.
The organization approved a Saudi plan to scrap allocating fixed production quotas to member countries in its December 2011 meeting and introduced output ceiling of 30 million barrels per day (bpd) which does not specify quotas.
Zangeneh has described the decision a “historic mistake”, saying “making up for this big mistake and reviving the quota system in OPEC is a very hard task.”
Because of overproduction chiefly by Saudi Arabia and non-OPEC producers, there is currently up to 2.5 million bpd of excess oil in the market which has caused crude prices to lose around 60% of their value since mid-2014.
Related news releases
- 25.09.2016Turkish military hits 54 Daesh targets in N Syria
- 24.09.2016Taliban controls 10 percent of Afghanistan: US
- 23.09.2016Brotherhood-linked bloc wins 15 seats in Jordan polls
- 23.09.2016US, Russia fail to agree on how to revive Syria ceasefire
- 23.09.2016Magnitude 6.4 earthquake strikes off Japan’s southeastern coast
- 22.09.2016PYD/PKK is replacing İSİS in northern Syria
- 22.09.2016Nearly 3,000 Syrians back home in Jarabulus from Turkey
- 22.09.2016Assad: US airstrikes on Syrian troops were ‘intentional’
- 22.09.2016Saudi-led coalition air strike kills at least six in Yemen
- 22.09.2016Iraq: Embattled Finance Minister Zebari sacked
- 20.09.2016Soldier martyred in PKK clash in eastern Turkey
- 20.09.2016Saudia Airlines from Jeddah ‘under threat’, placed in isolation at Manila airport
- 20.09.2016Israel says good relations with Turkey can contribute to regional stability
- 20.09.2016Kyrgyz president cancels UN trip due to chest pains
- 20.09.2016Iraqi PM announces operation to retake Shirqat, south of Mosul
- 20.09.2016Israeli forces kill two Palestinians in alleged stabbing attempt in West Bank
- 19.09.2016Air strikes hit aid trucks near Aleppo: monitors and resident
- 19.09.2016Syria ceasefire near collapse
- 19.09.2016Syrian army declares end of ceasefire
- 18.09.2016US airstrikes in Deir ez-Zor "open aggression" — Syrian command
- 18.09.2016Samsung Electronics says sold shares in four companies
- 18.09.2016Gunmen kill two policemen in Saudi Eastern province
- 17.09.2016At least 80 Syrian soldiers killed by U.S.-led air strike: monitor
- 17.09.2016Russian Defense Ministry confirms two F-16 Jets and two A10 Aircraft attacked Syrian army
- 17.09.2016Damascus Accuses US-Led Coalition of Bombing Syrian Army in Deir Ez-Zor
- 17.09.2016Air strike kills another senior IS group leader, Pentagon says
- 17.09.2016Earthquake of 5.9 magnitude hits Indonesia
- 16.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev completed Kyrgyzstan visit
- 16.09.2016Pakistan suicide bomb attack kills more than 20
- 16.09.2016Suicide bomber kills at least 16 people in Pakistan mosque
- 16.09.2016North Korea improving Missile Technology, could take more provocative action soon
- 16.09.20169 martyred in PKK attack in eastern Turkey
- 16.09.2016Putin, Netanyahu discuss situation in Middle East
- 15.09.2016PYD misusing US flags once again in north of Syria
- 14.09.2016Suu Kyi meets Obama in Washington for first time as Myanmar leader
- 14.09.2016Top diplomats from U.S., Japan, South Korea to meet on North Korea
- 14.09.2016Super Typhoon Meranti targets Taiwan, mainland China
- 13.09.2016Turkey hits Daesh targets in northern Syria
- 13.09.2016Shimon Peres hospitalized after stroke
- 13.09.2016Israel launches New Spy Satellite, Ofek 11
- 10.02.2016China confirms first imported Zika case
- 10.02.2016North Korea executes army chief of staff
- 11.02.2016Israeli opposition leader wants to begin separating from Palestinians
- 09.02.201612,000 candidates register for Iranian parliamentary election
- 09.02.2016US does not consider YPG terrorists: State Dept
- 09.02.2016Earthquake measuring 5.7 magnitude felt in New Zealand capital