Iran ready to discuss oil with Saudis
“We support any form of dialogue and cooperation with OPEC member states including Saudi Arabia,” Zangeneh told reporters.
He said some Persian Gulf countries have announced that they are looking for trying to make economic benefits for themselves by helping to push down oil prices. “But what they want to achieve is not at all for economic gains,” said Zangeneh.
“If there were a strong political will, the price of oil would have been balanced within one single week,” he said.
The Iranian oil minister had in early January emphasized that the current oil prices harm all producers and certain countries’ insistence on overproduction is politically motivated.
“None of the oil producers is happy with the existing prices which will harm suppliers in the long term,” he has emphasized.
According to the Iranian minister, “there is a political will behind OPEC indecision over production ceiling in the organization.”
OPEC has been producing nearly a million more barrels of oil each day than its 30 million bpd ceiling for the past 16 months.
The organization approved a Saudi plan to scrap allocating fixed production quotas to member countries in its December 2011 meeting and introduced output ceiling of 30 million barrels per day (bpd) which does not specify quotas.
Zangeneh has described the decision a “historic mistake”, saying “making up for this big mistake and reviving the quota system in OPEC is a very hard task.”
Because of overproduction chiefly by Saudi Arabia and non-OPEC producers, there is currently up to 2.5 million bpd of excess oil in the market which has caused crude prices to lose around 60% of their value since mid-2014.
Related news releases
- 23.05.2018Saudi Arabia expands crackdown on women's rights activists
- 23.05.2018Iraqi PM rules out fresh polls amid rigging allegations
- 22.05.2018Iran ‘ready to return to pre-nuke deal era’: Official
- 22.05.2018Airstrike neutralizes 6 PKK terrorists in E. Turkey
- 22.05.20182 Turkish soldiers martyred in northern Iraq
- 22.05.2018Over 60 die of heatstroke in Pakistan's largest city
- 21.05.2018Palestine’s Abbas to leave hospital soon: PLO official
- 21.05.2018Vietnam says Chinese bombers in disputed South China Sea increase tensions
- 21.05.2018Iran's presence in Syria at Damascus' demand: Tehran
- 20.05.2018South Korea's LG Group chairman dies at 73
- 20.05.2018Mushrooms Poison Hundreds in Iran
- 19.05.2018China to increase purchase of US goods to support employment in US - White House - UPDATED
- 19.05.2018Blasts at Afghan cricket match kill eight spectators
- 19.05.2018Blasts at Afghan sports stadium kill as many as eight-officials
- 19.05.2018Two North Koreans including a soldier defect to South Korea
- 18.05.2018Iran calls on Muslims to revise trade ties with U.S. after Jerusalem move
- 18.05.2018Saudi Arabia, UAE, Russia to discuss oil supplies following US withdrawal from JCPOA
- 18.05.2018Russia, Syria can start work to rebuild Syrian economy, says Putin
- 17.05.20185 suspected bombers killed in southwest Pakistan
- 16.05.2018Israel summons Turkey's charge d'affaires
- 16.05.2018Israel says Hamas curbed Gaza protests after Egyptian warning
- 16.05.2018Turkish parliament speaker: Gulf states should influence Trump in Palestinian issue
- 16.05.2018DPRK says not interested in negotiations that require only denuclearization - UPDATED
- 16.05.2018Seven dead, 30 feared trapped after part of flyover collapses in Indian city
- 16.05.2018Seoul regrets Pyongyang's decision to suspend high level inter-Korean talks
- 15.05.2018Iran wants guarantees from EU that JCPOA would be beneficial for It - Zarif
- 15.05.2018Israel asks Turkish envoy in Palestine to leave country
- 15.05.2018N Korea suspends talks with South over their joint drills with US
- 15.05.2018Palestinian leader Abbas hospitalized for surgery
- 15.05.2018Palestinian Death Toll in Gaza Rises to 59 - UPDATED
- 15.05.2018Fiery cleric Sadr taps anger over Iran to lead Iraq poll
- 15.05.2018Hezbollah says rocket attack on Israeli-occupied Golan marks 'new phase'
- 15.05.2018Netanyahu calls Israeli actions in Gaza self-defense against Hamas
- 14.05.2018Kuwait seeks UN Securtity Council meeting over Gaza
- 14.05.2018Oil gains on OPEC report; U.S. crude discount to Brent deepens
- 14.05.2018At least 52 Palestinians killed by Israeli army at Gaza border - UPDATED-4
- 14.05.2018U.S. embassy opens in Jerusalem
- 13.05.2018Daesh-inspired group carried out deadly suicide attacks in Indonesia
- 13.05.2018Serial explosions occur in Indonesia, at least two killed, over a dozen injured
- 12.05.2018North Korea details plans to dismantle nuclear test site
- 10.02.2016China confirms first imported Zika case
- 10.02.2016North Korea executes army chief of staff
- 11.02.2016Israeli opposition leader wants to begin separating from Palestinians
- 09.02.201612,000 candidates register for Iranian parliamentary election
- 09.02.2016US does not consider YPG terrorists: State Dept
- 09.02.2016Earthquake measuring 5.7 magnitude felt in New Zealand capital