Iran ready to discuss oil with Saudis
“We support any form of dialogue and cooperation with OPEC member states including Saudi Arabia,” Zangeneh told reporters.
He said some Persian Gulf countries have announced that they are looking for trying to make economic benefits for themselves by helping to push down oil prices. “But what they want to achieve is not at all for economic gains,” said Zangeneh.
“If there were a strong political will, the price of oil would have been balanced within one single week,” he said.
The Iranian oil minister had in early January emphasized that the current oil prices harm all producers and certain countries’ insistence on overproduction is politically motivated.
“None of the oil producers is happy with the existing prices which will harm suppliers in the long term,” he has emphasized.
According to the Iranian minister, “there is a political will behind OPEC indecision over production ceiling in the organization.”
OPEC has been producing nearly a million more barrels of oil each day than its 30 million bpd ceiling for the past 16 months.
The organization approved a Saudi plan to scrap allocating fixed production quotas to member countries in its December 2011 meeting and introduced output ceiling of 30 million barrels per day (bpd) which does not specify quotas.
Zangeneh has described the decision a “historic mistake”, saying “making up for this big mistake and reviving the quota system in OPEC is a very hard task.”
Because of overproduction chiefly by Saudi Arabia and non-OPEC producers, there is currently up to 2.5 million bpd of excess oil in the market which has caused crude prices to lose around 60% of their value since mid-2014.
Related news releases
- 23.07.2016Putin, Netanyahu discuss anti-terror cooperation in Middle East
- 23.07.2016Death toll in China floods passes 150, hundreds of thousands evacuated
- 23.07.2016At least 80 dead, 230 wounded in Kabul attack - UPDATED
- 23.07.2016Isis claims responsibility for deadly Kabul attack
- 23.07.2016Saudi Arabia offers Russia economic incentives to drop Assad
- 22.07.2016American fighting with Kurds against Islamic State killed in Syria
- 22.07.2016Military to be restructured after coup attempt, Erdogan says
- 21.07.2016Pesidential spokesperson İbrahim Kalın: "US should stop letting Gülen be the problem in relations with Turkey"
- 21.07.2016Myanmar military admits soldiers killed five villagers
- 20.07.2016Suicide bombing rocks Yemen’s Aden; 5 policemen killed
- 19.07.2016North Korea fires three ballistic missiles in show of force
- 18.07.2016Tehran dismisses rumors suggesting Turkish president visited Iran following coup attempt
- 15.07.2016Governor of Yemen's Aden survives car bomb attack
- 15.07.2016South Koreans protesting over U.S. missile defense plan block PM's bus
- 15.07.2016China tells Japan to stop interfering in South China Sea
- 15.07.2016Tropical storm kills nearly 70 people in China's Fujian province
- 14.07.20162 dead, 18 injured in C China coach accident
- 14.07.2016Islamic State confirms key commander Omar Shishani dead
- 14.07.20162 more protesters killed in Indian-held Kashmir
- 14.07.2016Islamic State says 'minister of war' Shishani killed: Amaq news agency
- 13.07.2016Islamic State car bomb attack kills seven north of Baghdad
- 13.07.2016China vows to protect South China Sea sovereignty, Manila upbeat
- 13.07.2016Iran summons French ambassador over dissident meeting in Paris
- 13.07.2016South China Sea: China defiant as tribunal backs Philippines
- 12.07.2016Pentagon chief Ashton Carter lands in Afghanistan
- 12.07.2016Rebels attack government lines in Syria's Aleppo after supply road cut
- 12.07.2016After nuclear deal, Iran sticks to wary tactics in key Gulf waterway
- 11.07.2016North Korea says will treat U.S. detainees under 'wartime law'
- 10.07.2016Beijing eses live missiles in South China Sea drills as tensions mount
- 10.07.20161 die in clashes in Kashmir after killing of Islamist leader
- 09.07.20162 Russian soldiers die after helicopter shot down in Syria
- 09.07.2016Senior Kurdish PKK commander killed in Syria
- 09.07.2016NATO leaders decide to extend Resolute Support in Afghanistan
- 09.07.2016North Korean submarine ballistic missile test 'fails'
- 09.07.2016China holds combat drill in the South China Sea
- 09.07.2016North Korea fires submarine-launched missile: South Korea
- 09.07.2016Iran says U.N. report on its ballistic missile tests 'unrealistic'
- 09.07.2016Top Kashmir militant killed in fight with Indian forces
- 09.07.2016Super typhoon hits Taiwan, cutting power and transport
- 08.07.2016South Korea, U.S. to deploy THAAD missile defense, drawing China rebuke
- 10.02.2016China confirms first imported Zika case
- 10.02.2016North Korea executes army chief of staff
- 11.02.2016Israeli opposition leader wants to begin separating from Palestinians
- 09.02.201612,000 candidates register for Iranian parliamentary election
- 09.02.2016US does not consider YPG terrorists: State Dept
- 09.02.2016Earthquake measuring 5.7 magnitude felt in New Zealand capital