Iran presidential election: Voting time extended 2 hours
Tehran governor general Hossein Hashemi said voting time for presidential and local elctions in Iran has been extended for two hours until 8 pm local time (3:30 pm GMT), APA reported citing IRNA.
The official said the decision was made due to big voter turnout.
Voting stations opened in Iran at 8am local time (03:30 amGMT) on Friday for the 12th presidential and the fifth city and village councils elections in about 63,500 polling stations.
In addition to the 12th presidential election and the fifth city and village council election, by-elections are also being held in the cities of Isfahan (in Isfahan), Maragheh, Ahar, Heris (in East Azarbaijan), Ajabshir, Bastak, Parsian and Bandar Lengeh (in Hormuzgan) to elect representatives for a number of vacant parliament seats.
For the presidential competition, the candidates are incumbent President Hassan Rouhani, Custodian of Imam Reza (AS) Holy shrine Ebrahim Raeisi and former minister of Culture and Islamic Guidance Mostafa Aqa Mirsalim and former Minister of Physical Education Mostafa Hashemi Taba.
First Vice-President Eshaq Jahangiri and Mayor of Tehran, Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf were other presidential candidates who quit the presidential race to support their favorite candidates (Rouhani and Raeisi respectively).
After the 1979 Islamic Revolution which led to the fall of the Pahlavi regime, Iran has held one election each year on average, all of which have witnessed large turnout of the people.
Over 56 million Iranians are eligible to vote in Iran's 12th presidential elections, according to the Election Headquarters of the Interior Ministry.
Out of the total eligible voters over 1.3 million are those who vote for the first time.
Some 66.7 percent of respondents to a survey carried out by the Islamic Republic News Agency (IRNA) on May 7-8 said they will participate in Iran’s May 19 presidential elections.
Presidential election is also being held in 102 countries.
Some 570 international journalists from 42 countries are covering the event in Iran.
If no candidate wins more than 50 percent of votes cast, the top two candidates will compete in a run-off election on May 26.
- 11.12.2017Putin orders Russian forces pullout from Syria
- 11.12.2017Putin visits Russia’s Hmeymim air base in Syria
- 10.12.2017Lebanon’s FM: "Arab nations should consider imposing economic sanctions against the United States"
- 10.12.2017Arab states urge U.S. to abandon Jerusalem move
- 10.12.2017South Korea's Hyundai says faces headwinds from weaker yen next year
- 10.12.2017Palestinian President Abbas won't meet Pence in region: foreign minister
- 10.12.2017Iraq and Iran sign Kirkuk oil swap deal
- 09.12.2017Turkey, Iran security cooperation ‘vital’ for region
- 09.12.20172 dead, 7 buried in debris after chemical plant explosion in east China
- 09.12.2017Iraq declares war with Islamic State is over
- 09.12.2017Two dead in 'Day of Rage' over Jerusalem, Palestinian president defiant
- 09.12.2017Airstrikes kill 5 civilians in Syria
- 09.12.2017Palestinian negotiator says 'no talking' with U.S. until Trump reverses Jerusalem decision: Al Jazeera
- 09.12.2017At least 25 wounded in Israeli retaliation strikes in Gaza
- 08.12.2017Israeli servicemen down rocket fired from Gaza Strip
- 08.12.2017Two hikers dead, 7 missing in Iran avalanche
- 08.12.2017Clashes erupt in West Bank, East Jerusalem between Palestinian protesters and Israeli troops
- 08.12.20171 killed, 8 wounded in eastern Afghan mosque blast
- 08.12.2017Israel strikes Gaza, no injured
- 07.12.2017Erdogan, Putin to discuss US Jerusalem
- 07.12.2017Senior North Korean diplomat meets U.N. political affairs chief
- 07.12.2017Trump declaration on Jerusalem destroys two-state solution - PLO
- 07.12.2017Palestine, Egypt confer after US decision on Jerusalem
- 06.12.2017Iranian FM: Littoral States agree on bulk of Caspian legal regime
- 06.12.2017Europe fears attacks by returning Daesh fighters
- 05.12.2017Roadside bomb targeting military vehicle kills 6 in North Waziristan, Pakistan
- 05.12.2017Iranian soldier killed in attack near Turkish border
- 05.12.2017South Korea, U.S. launch air drills amid North Korean warnings of nuclear war
- 05.12.2017U.N. political affairs chief to visit North Korea this week
- 05.12.2017US defense secretary meets Pakistan’s prime minister
- 04.12.2017Red Cross Reports 2 Airstrikes in Yemeni Capital Sanaa on Monday Night
- 04.12.2017Famous Indian actor Shashi Kapoor passes away at 79
- 04.12.2017No free trade deal during Trudeau’s China trip
- 03.12.2017Tropical storm in Indonesia kills 20
- 03.12.2017Turkey remands 85 military staff over links to FETO
- 02.12.2017Bangladesh: 7 dead, 20 injured in bus-truck collision
- 02.12.2017Seoul says North Korea puts Washington in range, but needs to prove critical technology
- 01.12.2017Earthquake of magnitude 6.3 strikes eastern Iran
- 30.11.20176 killed, 23 injured as strong winds, heavy rains lash Sri Lanka
- 30.11.2017Hamas, Fatah delay unity govt till Dec. 10
- 19.05.2017Landmine blast claims 11 lives in Afghanistan
- 20.05.2017Polls close in Iran presidential election
- 20.05.20173 Iraqi soldiers killed in southern Basra city
- 19.05.2017Two dead, several missing as bridge collapses in India
- 19.05.2017Iran’s first VP urges respect for election results
- 19.05.20175 ISIL suspects arrested in Istanbul