Iran presidential election: Voting time extended 2 hours
Tehran governor general Hossein Hashemi said voting time for presidential and local elctions in Iran has been extended for two hours until 8 pm local time (3:30 pm GMT), APA reported citing IRNA.
The official said the decision was made due to big voter turnout.
Voting stations opened in Iran at 8am local time (03:30 amGMT) on Friday for the 12th presidential and the fifth city and village councils elections in about 63,500 polling stations.
In addition to the 12th presidential election and the fifth city and village council election, by-elections are also being held in the cities of Isfahan (in Isfahan), Maragheh, Ahar, Heris (in East Azarbaijan), Ajabshir, Bastak, Parsian and Bandar Lengeh (in Hormuzgan) to elect representatives for a number of vacant parliament seats.
For the presidential competition, the candidates are incumbent President Hassan Rouhani, Custodian of Imam Reza (AS) Holy shrine Ebrahim Raeisi and former minister of Culture and Islamic Guidance Mostafa Aqa Mirsalim and former Minister of Physical Education Mostafa Hashemi Taba.
First Vice-President Eshaq Jahangiri and Mayor of Tehran, Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf were other presidential candidates who quit the presidential race to support their favorite candidates (Rouhani and Raeisi respectively).
After the 1979 Islamic Revolution which led to the fall of the Pahlavi regime, Iran has held one election each year on average, all of which have witnessed large turnout of the people.
Over 56 million Iranians are eligible to vote in Iran's 12th presidential elections, according to the Election Headquarters of the Interior Ministry.
Out of the total eligible voters over 1.3 million are those who vote for the first time.
Some 66.7 percent of respondents to a survey carried out by the Islamic Republic News Agency (IRNA) on May 7-8 said they will participate in Iran’s May 19 presidential elections.
Presidential election is also being held in 102 countries.
Some 570 international journalists from 42 countries are covering the event in Iran.
If no candidate wins more than 50 percent of votes cast, the top two candidates will compete in a run-off election on May 26.
- 22.07.2017U.S. air strike kills Afghan forces in friendly-fire incident
- 22.07.2017Three Israelis stabbed to death in West Bank settlement
- 22.07.2017Palestinians suspend official contacts with Israel: president
- 21.07.2017Israeli health officials move to ban smoking in public places
- 21.07.2017Qatar open to talks with Arab states to resolve crisis – Foreign Minister
- 21.07.2017State Dept. urges calm at Al-Aqsa
- 21.07.201730 percent of Raqqah cleared of Daesh: US
- 20.07.2017Israeli and Turkish presidents had a phone talk
- 20.07.2017Iran ambassador ordered to leave Kuwait over spy case
- 20.07.2017Kuwait closes Iran cultural mission, expels diplomats
- 20.07.201716 security personnel killed in Afghanistan
- 20.07.2017Chinese army mobilizes military assets to Tibet following live fire drills
- 19.07.2017Pakistani army: '8 dead' in new border clash with India
- 19.07.2017Over 330,000 killed in Syrian war – monitor
- 19.07.2017North Korea conducts public executions for theft, watching South Korea media
- 19.07.2017Trump’s strategy on Iran ‘doesn’t exist’ just like rest of US foreign policy
- 19.07.2017Egyptian security forces kill prominent Islamic State militant in North Sinai
- 18.07.2017Spokesman: His brother’s arrest won’t influence Rouhani’s will
- 18.07.2017Iranian FM: Independence referendum in Iraqi Kurdistan is a wrong choice
- 18.07.2017Chinese ships warned to leave after entering Japanese waters
- 18.07.2017Challenges remain after Mosul liberation: UN envoy
- 17.07.2017Iranian president's brother hospitalized on second day of detention
- 15.07.2017Benghazi airport reopens after three-year closure during war
- 15.07.2017One dead, 4 injured in Tehran subway brawl
- 15.07.2017Clashes between Iraq's Army, Daesh militants resume in West Mosul
- 14.07.2017Head of Islamic State in Afghanistan killed: Pentagon
- 14.07.2017Two Israeli policemen shot dead near Jerusalem holy site, gunmen killed
- 14.07.2017Daesh Militants Declare Iraqi Tal Afar Independent State From Caliphate - Media
- 14.07.2017China's most prominent dissident dies
- 14.07.2017Heavy rain kills 2 in Guangxi, strands 9,000 air passengers in Sichuan
- 13.07.2017Turkish forces kill 8 PKK terrorists in southeast
- 13.07.2017Oil prices dip as OPEC expects less demand for its crude
- 13.07.2017Suicide bomber kills and injures scores in Syria's Idlib province
- 13.07.2017US Geological Survey detects 5.8 magnitude earthquake off South Korea coast
- 13.07.2017Top U.S. diplomat ends talks in Gulf; no sign Qatar crisis resolved
- 12.07.2017Saudi crown prince discusses defense ties with Turkish minister
- 12.07.2017Russia's Lavrov: show me at least one fact Moscow meddled in U.S. election
- 12.07.2017Trillion ton iceberg breaks away from Antarctic shelf
- 12.07.2017Taliban gunmen kill 7 in Afghanistan
- 12.07.2017S. Korea, US, Japan military officials agree to put maximum pressure on N. Korea
- 19.05.2017Landmine blast claims 11 lives in Afghanistan
- 20.05.2017Polls close in Iran presidential election
- 20.05.20173 Iraqi soldiers killed in southern Basra city
- 19.05.2017Two dead, several missing as bridge collapses in India
- 19.05.2017Iran’s first VP urges respect for election results
- 19.05.20175 ISIL suspects arrested in Istanbul