Iran presidential election: Voting time extended 2 hours
Tehran governor general Hossein Hashemi said voting time for presidential and local elctions in Iran has been extended for two hours until 8 pm local time (3:30 pm GMT), APA reported citing IRNA.
The official said the decision was made due to big voter turnout.
Voting stations opened in Iran at 8am local time (03:30 amGMT) on Friday for the 12th presidential and the fifth city and village councils elections in about 63,500 polling stations.
In addition to the 12th presidential election and the fifth city and village council election, by-elections are also being held in the cities of Isfahan (in Isfahan), Maragheh, Ahar, Heris (in East Azarbaijan), Ajabshir, Bastak, Parsian and Bandar Lengeh (in Hormuzgan) to elect representatives for a number of vacant parliament seats.
For the presidential competition, the candidates are incumbent President Hassan Rouhani, Custodian of Imam Reza (AS) Holy shrine Ebrahim Raeisi and former minister of Culture and Islamic Guidance Mostafa Aqa Mirsalim and former Minister of Physical Education Mostafa Hashemi Taba.
First Vice-President Eshaq Jahangiri and Mayor of Tehran, Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf were other presidential candidates who quit the presidential race to support their favorite candidates (Rouhani and Raeisi respectively).
After the 1979 Islamic Revolution which led to the fall of the Pahlavi regime, Iran has held one election each year on average, all of which have witnessed large turnout of the people.
Over 56 million Iranians are eligible to vote in Iran's 12th presidential elections, according to the Election Headquarters of the Interior Ministry.
Out of the total eligible voters over 1.3 million are those who vote for the first time.
Some 66.7 percent of respondents to a survey carried out by the Islamic Republic News Agency (IRNA) on May 7-8 said they will participate in Iran’s May 19 presidential elections.
Presidential election is also being held in 102 countries.
Some 570 international journalists from 42 countries are covering the event in Iran.
If no candidate wins more than 50 percent of votes cast, the top two candidates will compete in a run-off election on May 26.
- 24.05.2017Two dead in suspected suicide bombing in Jakarta: police
- 24.05.2017Syrian army says Islamic State's 'minister of war' killed
- 24.05.20172 soldiers injured in PKK attack in SE Turkey
- 24.05.201722 killed as bus with pilgrims falls into Bhagirathi river in Uttarkashi
- 24.05.2017Philippine president cuts short Russia trip
- 24.05.2017China envoy to UN calls for dialogue with N. Korea without presenting conditions
- 23.05.201732 kindergarten children injured in south China traffic accident
- 23.05.2017US forces killed seven al-Qaeda militants during raid in Yemen
- 23.05.2017Trump says concerns about Iran driving Israel, Arab states closer
- 23.05.2017North Korea says missile ready for mass production, U.S. questions progress
- 23.05.2017South Korea says Pyongyang’s new missile not capable of reaching US territory
- 23.05.2017Coalition raid kills Daesh militants in Iraq’s W. Mosul
- 23.05.2017Cholera death toll in Yemen rises to 350
- 22.05.2017Turkish military kills 4 PKK terrorists in N. Iraq
- 22.05.2017Rouhani says regional stability impossible without Iran
- 22.05.2017Trump: 'Iran will never have a nuclear weapon'
- 22.05.2017Cholera outbreak claims 315 lives in Yemen
- 22.05.2017Tehran slams Trump’s speech in Saudi Arabia
- 21.05.20174 suspected Baloch separatists killed in SW Pakistan
- 20.05.2017Indian court acquits Muslim scholar in train blast case
- 20.05.2017US, Saudi Arabia sign $110B arms deal amid Trump visit
- 20.05.2017Hassan Rouhani says Iran wants interaction with the world
- 20.05.20176 dead as armed militants storm bank in Afghanistan
- 20.05.2017Iranian Interior Ministry: Hassan Rouhani wins presidential elections
- 20.05.2017Trump arrives in Saudi Arabia in first foreign trip
- 20.05.2017Hassan Rouhani re-elected as Iranian president
- 20.05.2017Magnitude 5.9 quake strikes off Philippines
- 20.05.2017At least 13 killed in Iraq car bombings
- 20.05.2017Rouhani leads Iran presidential race, expected to win: source
- 20.05.2017North Korea's UN envoy slams 'hostile' US policy
- 18.05.2017ISIL attacks Syrian Deir ez-Zor with rockets, kill 3 civilians
- 18.05.2017US coalition strike on Syrian army occurred within established Safe Zone
- 17.05.2017Pakistan protests with UN team over Indian shelling
- 17.05.2017Workers trapped after methane gas explosion in Turkey
- 17.05.2017Pyongyang developing missiles faster than Seoul expected
- 17.05.2017OPEC suffers decline in export revenues: EIA
- 16.05.2017Death toll from China truck-bus crash rises to 12
- 15.05.2017North Korea vows missile tests 'any time, any place', defying U.S. warnings
- 15.05.2017Iraq’s al-Sadr urges Tehran, Riyadh to engage in talks
- 14.05.2017Suspected ransomware attack at southeast Ireland's healthcare facility
- 19.05.2017Landmine blast claims 11 lives in Afghanistan
- 20.05.2017Polls close in Iran presidential election
- 20.05.20173 Iraqi soldiers killed in southern Basra city
- 19.05.2017Two dead, several missing as bridge collapses in India
- 19.05.2017Iran’s first VP urges respect for election results
- 19.05.20175 ISIL suspects arrested in Istanbul