Iran mine accident search ends with 43 dead
Iranian rescue workers on Tuesday pulled out the 43rd and last body of victims killed in a mine explosion after six days of round-the-clock digging, APA reported citing AFP.
The explosion happened on Wednesday in Zemestan Yort mine in Golestan province when workers tried to jump-start an engine in a tunnel filled with methane gas.
The bodies of 26 miners were recovered on the second day while rescue teams had to work four more days to gradually access the rest who were trapped in the excavation shafts.
The final toll was higher than expected as it had been unclear how many unregistered day-labourers were trapped by the explosion.
Rescue work was hindered by the amount of rubble and toxic gases that filled the narrow mile-long tunnel.
The mine will shut for six months while an investigation is carried out.
Related news releases
- 27.05.2017Over 90 people dead, 110 missing as heavy floods hit Sri Lanka
- 27.05.201720 Houthi rebels killed in southern Yemen
- 26.05.2017Roadside bomb claims 10 civilians in Afghanistan
- 26.05.2017Philippine president urges IS-linked rebels to halt siege, start talks
- 26.05.2017OPEC cuts extension encourages oil bulls amid Asian supply-side concerns
- 26.05.2017China to build global navigation satellite system by 2020
- 25.05.2017Manila deploys commandoes, helicopters to retake city from rebels
- 25.05.2017105 civilians killed in US airstrike in Mosul
- 25.05.2017Nepalese PM resigns ahead of final round of local polls
- 24.05.2017Suspected suicide bombers kill 3 police officers, wound 10 in Jakarta - UPDATED
- 24.05.2017Syrian army says Islamic State's 'minister of war' killed
- 24.05.20172 soldiers injured in PKK attack in SE Turkey
- 24.05.201722 killed as bus with pilgrims falls into Bhagirathi river in Uttarkashi
- 24.05.2017Philippine president cuts short Russia trip
- 24.05.2017China envoy to UN calls for dialogue with N. Korea without presenting conditions
- 23.05.201732 kindergarten children injured in south China traffic accident
- 23.05.2017US forces killed seven al-Qaeda militants during raid in Yemen
- 23.05.2017Trump says concerns about Iran driving Israel, Arab states closer
- 23.05.2017North Korea says missile ready for mass production, U.S. questions progress
- 23.05.2017South Korea says Pyongyang’s new missile not capable of reaching US territory
- 23.05.2017Coalition raid kills Daesh militants in Iraq’s W. Mosul
- 23.05.2017Cholera death toll in Yemen rises to 350
- 22.05.2017Turkish military kills 4 PKK terrorists in N. Iraq
- 22.05.2017Rouhani says regional stability impossible without Iran
- 22.05.2017Trump: 'Iran will never have a nuclear weapon'
- 22.05.2017Cholera outbreak claims 315 lives in Yemen
- 22.05.2017Tehran slams Trump’s speech in Saudi Arabia
- 21.05.20174 suspected Baloch separatists killed in SW Pakistan
- 20.05.2017Indian court acquits Muslim scholar in train blast case
- 20.05.2017US, Saudi Arabia sign $110B arms deal amid Trump visit
- 20.05.2017Hassan Rouhani says Iran wants interaction with the world
- 20.05.20176 dead as armed militants storm bank in Afghanistan
- 20.05.2017Iranian Interior Ministry: Hassan Rouhani wins presidential elections
- 20.05.2017Trump arrives in Saudi Arabia in first foreign trip
- 20.05.2017Hassan Rouhani re-elected as Iranian president
- 20.05.2017Magnitude 5.9 quake strikes off Philippines
- 20.05.2017At least 13 killed in Iraq car bombings
- 20.05.2017Rouhani leads Iran presidential race, expected to win: source
- 20.05.2017North Korea's UN envoy slams 'hostile' US policy
- 20.05.20173 Iraqi soldiers killed in southern Basra city
- 09.05.2017Over 100 IS militants killed in airstrikes in Iraq's Anbar
- 10.05.2017Moon Jae-In becomes new South Korean president - NEC
- 10.05.2017New S. Korean president says to visit DPRK under right conditions
- 09.05.2017South Koreans vote for new leader
- 09.05.2017Syrian peace talks to reconvene in Geneva on May 16: U.N.
- 09.05.2017South Koreans vote for new leader after months of political vacuum