Iran leader slams Trump’s ‘inane’ speech on nuke deal
Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei has described U.S. President Donald Trump's Tuesday speech on the 2015 nuclear agreement between Iran and the West -- in which he announced his decision to withdraw from the deal -- as “inane and superficial”, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
“You have heard yesterday’s inane and superficial speech by the U.S. president, in which he lied more than 10 times and threatened the Iranian government and people,” Khamenei said in a Wednesday address in Tehran.
“In the name of the Iranian people,” he added, “you are making a mistake, Mr. Trump.”
On Tuesday, Trump withdrew the U.S. from the landmark nuclear deal, which was signed in 2015 between Iran and the P5+1 group of nations (the five permanent members of the UN Security Council plus Germany).
Acting ahead of a May 12 deadline, Trump opted not to extend sanctions relief on Iran, re-imposing nuclear-related economic penalties on the Islamic republic.
The 2015 deal had placed unprecedented restrictions on Iran's nuclear program in exchange for billions of dollars in sanctions relief.
Trump had roundly criticized the agreement in 2016 during his electoral campaign, calling it the "worst deal" he had ever seen.
Other members of the P5+1, for their part, say the agreement in its current form represents the best way to reign in Iran's nuclear program.
Trump’s move has sparked a range of reactions, with some countries welcoming it and others condemning it.
Related news releases
- 19.07.201810 injured in 4 explosions in Iraq’s Kirkuk
- 18.07.2018Yemen's Houthis say they attacked Aramco refinery in Riyadh with drone
- 17.07.2018Unknown military aircraft crashes in Northern Syria
- 17.07.2018Women in Saudi Arabia Will Soon Be Able to Train as Pilots
- 17.07.2018Iran ready to boost uranium enrichment if talks with EU fail - Official
- 17.07.2018Protests in Iraq leave 5 dead, 190 injured
- 17.07.2018Syrian army says it captures strategic hill overlooking Israeli border
- 15.07.2018Indonesian police shoot dead three suspected militants
- 15.07.2018Rouhani: "The US ‘more isolated than ever’ over Iran sanctions"
- 14.07.2018At least 10 killed by landslide in northern Myanmar
- 14.07.2018Velayati: Russia wants to create joint electrical grid with Iran, Azerbaijan
- 14.07.2018China floods wreak havoc, block roads and railways
- 14.07.2018Palestinian teenager killed in Israel-Gaza border protests
- 13.07.2018Suicide bomber kills 128 in attack on Pakistani election rally
- 13.07.2018Former Pakistani premier Sharif arrested in Lahore
- 13.07.2018Indian planes carrying more than 300 people avoid mid-air collision by 200 feet
- 12.07.2018FBI Presents New Details on Lead Up to Saddam Hussein's Interrogation
- 12.07.2018Kim Jong-un: "Extraordinary efforts' made by Trump for improving US-N Korea ties
- 11.07.2018Iran Supreme Leader's aide hails 'strategic' ties with Russia before Putin talks
- 11.07.201812 killed in election rally in NW Pakistan
- 10.07.2018Death toll in Japan flood disaster rises to 156
- 10.07.2018Last remaining kid, coach evacuated from Thai cave - media
- 10.07.2018At least 140 dead after heavy rain and landslides in Japan
- 09.07.2018Death toll rises to 126 in W. Japan after flood, rain
- 08.07.2018Japan floods and heavy rain leave at least 41 dead, dozens missing - UPDATED
- 07.07.2018North Korea regrets US stance at talks
- 07.07.2018Iran calls for EU help as shipping giant pulls out for fear of U.S. sanctions
- 07.07.2018Insider attack in S. Afghanistan kills 1 US serviceman, injures 2 others - NATO - UPDATED
- 07.07.2018Indian army kills 3 civilians in southern Kashmir
- 07.07.2018Both sides seek to 'clarify' as Pompeo holds second day of North Korea talks
- 07.07.2018No breakthrough in nuclear talks as Iran demands more after U.S. exit
- 07.07.2018Israeli air strike hits Syria at Golan frontier
- 07.07.2018Palestinian killed as Gaza protests against Israel enter fourth month
- 07.07.2018Second Saudi teen kills self after playing online game
- 06.07.2018Iranian leader describes EU proposals to save JCPOA as ‘disappointing’
- 05.07.2018German Coalition parties reach deal on Migration
- 05.07.2018Iranian FM summons German, French, Belgian diplomats
- 05.07.2018Pakistani court sends fake degree mill owner to jail
- 04.07.2018Iraq urges world countries to repatriate Islamic State children
- 04.07.20184.3-magnitude earthquake hits southern Iran
- 10.05.2018Gulf Arab allies hail triumph after U.S. quits Iran deal
- 10.05.2018Syrian state media: Israeli missiles hit Syrian air defenses, radar - UPDATED
- 10.05.2018China's won't change stance on trade talks with U.S.: China commerce ministry
- 09.05.2018Iran’s parliament speaker: US itself has endangered international security
- 09.05.2018Japan says to normalize North Korea ties if nuclear, abduction issues are solved
- 09.05.2018Saudi Arabia says backs U.S. decision to withdraw from Iran nuclear deal