Iran jails politician after Revolution Guards criticism
Iranian authorities on Friday jailed a prominent member of an opposition party for three months for voicing criticisms of Iran’s influential Revolutionary Guards Corps (RGC), APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
In a recent speech, Hujjat al-Islam Muhammed Nuri, cultural advisor for Iran’s National Trust Party (NTP), said the RGC was intervening in areas outside its jurisdiction, according to Iran’s Kalema website.
The Kalema website is known to be close to opposition leader Mir-Hossein Mousavi, who since 2011 has remained under house arrest.
A reformist political party, the NTP was established in 2005 by Mahdi Karroubi, who lost Iran’s 2009 presidential poll to Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.
Karroubi’s loss to Ahmadinejad led to widespread demonstrations at the time by his supporters.
The authorities closed the NTP after Karroubi alleged that a number of his supporters had been tortured by the Iranian security services.
Both Karroubi and Mousavi have remained under house arrest since 2011 for having allegedly encouraged the post-poll demonstrations.
In 2013, during the tenure of current President Hassan Rouhani, the NTP was readmitted into Iran’s political arena.
Related news releases
- 26.04.201714 killed in Taliban attack in Pakistan's tribal belt
- 26.04.2017The United States received a notice from Turkey an hour before operation in Syria and Iraq
- 26.04.2017Turkish jets kill senior PKK member in northern Iraq
- 25.04.2017Ankara court sentences 24 to life for killing Kurdish teen
- 24.04.201726 paramilitary personnel killed in central India
- 24.04.2017Philippines: 36 Maute terrorists killed in clashes
- 24.04.2017Suspected Maoist rebels kill 24 troops in Chhattisgarh
- 24.04.2017Iran to open polls in Azerbaijan for May 19 presidential election
- 23.04.2017Magnitude 5.3 earthquake hits Philippines
- 23.04.2017Saudi king restores civil service and military allowances
- 22.04.2017Turkey condemns terror attack on Afghan army
- 22.04.2017Five killed in road accident in southern Philippines
- 22.04.2017Terrorists launch mortar attack in Damascus
- 22.04.2017Taliban kill '140' troops in Afghan base attack
- 22.04.2017At least 8 killed in eastern India in fighting over control for sandpits
- 21.04.2017U.S. forces kill Islamic State militant linked to Turkey nightclub attack
- 21.04.2017Taliban inflict more than 50 Afghan casualties in base attack, U.S. says - UPDATED
- 21.04.2017İSİL claims responsibility for Paris shooting
- 21.04.2017EU says ready to welcome back UK if it decides to stay
- 20.04.2017Russian officer killed in militant attack on Syrian Army Base - UPDATED
- 20.04.2017Syrian President: "Reports about capture of ISIL leader Baghdadi not true"
- 20.04.2017Pakistan court: Insufficient evidence to remove Sharif
- 20.04.2017Bus-truck collision leaves 11 dead in Iran
- 20.04.2017North Korea says 'don't mess with us' as U.S. plans next move
- 20.04.2017Syria chemical attack undeniable, says OPCW chief
- 20.04.2017At Least 3 Al-Qaeda Militants Killed in Airstrikes in Southern Afghanistan
- 20.04.2017Tillerson: Iran nuclear agreement fails to achieve objectives
- 19.04.2017Iraqi army says third of old western Mosul retaken
- 19.04.2017Australian advisers caught in Mosul chemical attack
- 19.04.2017Pentagon might try to shoot down Pyongyang’s next missile test
- 18.04.2017Daesh car-bomb attack kills 16 in W. Mosul: Iraqi army
- 18.04.2017Iranian president criticizes IRGC for interfering country’s economic affairs
- 18.04.2017285 killed during Myanmar’s water festival
- 18.04.2017Japan may consider deploying troops in case of DPRK missile fall in its waters
- 18.04.2017Hardline Hindu youth call the shots on streets of northern India
- 17.04.2017US and South Korea agree 'early' deployment of THAAD missile defence system
- 16.04.2017Death toll in Syrian blast rises 100 - UPDATED
- 16.04.2017Ahmadinejad: "Iran has nothing to fear from US"
- 16.04.2017N Korea missile launch fails, says South Korea
- 16.04.2017PKK terrorists attack AK Party bus in Van
- 04.03.2017Syrian opposition accepts U.N. principles at end of peace talks
- 04.03.2017Iran test-fires S300 air-defense system
- 04.03.2017Iran arrests 9 in UAE boats for trespassing
- 03.03.2017Japan's Aso says wants to discuss rules for free trade with U.S.
- 03.03.2017First US Drone Strike in Trump Era Kills Two in Pakistan
- 03.03.2017Israel Starts Gas Supplies to Jordan