Iran jails politician after Revolution Guards criticism
Iranian authorities on Friday jailed a prominent member of an opposition party for three months for voicing criticisms of Iran’s influential Revolutionary Guards Corps (RGC), APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
In a recent speech, Hujjat al-Islam Muhammed Nuri, cultural advisor for Iran’s National Trust Party (NTP), said the RGC was intervening in areas outside its jurisdiction, according to Iran’s Kalema website.
The Kalema website is known to be close to opposition leader Mir-Hossein Mousavi, who since 2011 has remained under house arrest.
A reformist political party, the NTP was established in 2005 by Mahdi Karroubi, who lost Iran’s 2009 presidential poll to Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.
Karroubi’s loss to Ahmadinejad led to widespread demonstrations at the time by his supporters.
The authorities closed the NTP after Karroubi alleged that a number of his supporters had been tortured by the Iranian security services.
Both Karroubi and Mousavi have remained under house arrest since 2011 for having allegedly encouraged the post-poll demonstrations.
In 2013, during the tenure of current President Hassan Rouhani, the NTP was readmitted into Iran’s political arena.
Related news releases
- 23.05.2018Israeli air strikes target boat moored in Gaza
- 23.05.2018North Korea allows South Korea reporters to visit nuclear site
- 23.05.2018Saudi Arabia expands crackdown on women's rights activists
- 23.05.2018Iraqi PM rules out fresh polls amid rigging allegations
- 22.05.2018Iran ‘ready to return to pre-nuke deal era’: Official
- 22.05.2018Airstrike neutralizes 6 PKK terrorists in E. Turkey
- 22.05.20182 Turkish soldiers martyred in northern Iraq
- 22.05.2018Over 60 die of heatstroke in Pakistan's largest city
- 21.05.2018Palestine’s Abbas to leave hospital soon: PLO official
- 21.05.2018Vietnam says Chinese bombers in disputed South China Sea increase tensions
- 21.05.2018Iran's presence in Syria at Damascus' demand: Tehran
- 20.05.2018South Korea's LG Group chairman dies at 73
- 20.05.2018Mushrooms Poison Hundreds in Iran
- 19.05.2018China to increase purchase of US goods to support employment in US - White House - UPDATED
- 19.05.2018Blasts at Afghan cricket match kill eight spectators
- 19.05.2018Blasts at Afghan sports stadium kill as many as eight-officials
- 19.05.2018Two North Koreans including a soldier defect to South Korea
- 18.05.2018Iran calls on Muslims to revise trade ties with U.S. after Jerusalem move
- 18.05.2018Saudi Arabia, UAE, Russia to discuss oil supplies following US withdrawal from JCPOA
- 18.05.2018Russia, Syria can start work to rebuild Syrian economy, says Putin
- 17.05.20185 suspected bombers killed in southwest Pakistan
- 16.05.2018Israel summons Turkey's charge d'affaires
- 16.05.2018Israel says Hamas curbed Gaza protests after Egyptian warning
- 16.05.2018Turkish parliament speaker: Gulf states should influence Trump in Palestinian issue
- 16.05.2018DPRK says not interested in negotiations that require only denuclearization - UPDATED
- 16.05.2018Seven dead, 30 feared trapped after part of flyover collapses in Indian city
- 16.05.2018Seoul regrets Pyongyang's decision to suspend high level inter-Korean talks
- 15.05.2018Iran wants guarantees from EU that JCPOA would be beneficial for It - Zarif
- 15.05.2018Israel asks Turkish envoy in Palestine to leave country
- 15.05.2018N Korea suspends talks with South over their joint drills with US
- 15.05.2018Palestinian leader Abbas hospitalized for surgery
- 15.05.2018Palestinian Death Toll in Gaza Rises to 59 - UPDATED
- 15.05.2018Fiery cleric Sadr taps anger over Iran to lead Iraq poll
- 15.05.2018Hezbollah says rocket attack on Israeli-occupied Golan marks 'new phase'
- 15.05.2018Netanyahu calls Israeli actions in Gaza self-defense against Hamas
- 14.05.2018Kuwait seeks UN Securtity Council meeting over Gaza
- 14.05.2018Oil gains on OPEC report; U.S. crude discount to Brent deepens
- 14.05.2018At least 52 Palestinians killed by Israeli army at Gaza border - UPDATED-4
- 14.05.2018U.S. embassy opens in Jerusalem
- 13.05.2018Daesh-inspired group carried out deadly suicide attacks in Indonesia
- 04.03.2017Syrian opposition accepts U.N. principles at end of peace talks
- 04.03.2017Iran test-fires S300 air-defense system
- 04.03.2017Iran arrests 9 in UAE boats for trespassing
- 03.03.2017Japan's Aso says wants to discuss rules for free trade with U.S.
- 03.03.2017First US Drone Strike in Trump Era Kills Two in Pakistan
- 03.03.2017Israel Starts Gas Supplies to Jordan