Iran: Improvement in Syria creates chances to find political solution
Recent positive developments in the Syrian crisis bring about a "historical opportunity" to achieve a political solution to the conflict, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said Saturday.
"Today, the situation of the government and people of Syria has improved, while extremist and radical groups find themselves in unfavorable conditions, which brings about a historical opportunity to find a political solution [to the Syrian crisis]," Zarif said, as quoted by the press service of the Iranian government.
According to the Iranian foreign minister, the conflicts in Syria, Yemen, Bahrain and other countries of the Middle East should not be resolved through military means, but through a political process, which stipulates that the people should define the future of their countries.
Zarif also argued that foreign countries could offer assistance to pave the way for the political solution to crises, but should refrain from imposing their will on the conflict-affected nations, while stressing that Syrian talks in Kazakh capital of Astana have brought positive results, and will continue to be an efficient platform for the reconciliation of the Syrian crisis.
The civil war between the Syrian government forces and various opposition and terror groups has been raging in the country since 2011. The parties to the conflict and representatives of international community negotiate the reconciliation of the Syrian crisis in Switzerland's Geneva and Astana. The next round of talks on Syria will take place in Astana in mid-September.
Related news releases
- 22.06.2018Saudi-led coalition faces tough battle for Yemen's Hodeidah port
- 21.06.2018Trump: North Korea blowing up test sites, 'total denuclearization...has already started'
- 21.06.2018Syria’s Idlib rocked by twin bombings; 5 killed
- 21.06.2018North Korea preparing to destroy ICBM test site
- 21.06.201810 killed in road accident in NW Pakistan
- 21.06.2018Turkish airstrikes cause serious losses to PKK in Iraq
- 20.06.2018More than 240 undocumented migrants held across Turkey
- 20.06.2018Iran says no plans to increase missile range, rejects talks with Trump
- 20.06.2018North Korea expected to begin transferring remains of U.S. troops soon: officials
- 20.06.2018North Korea, China discuss 'true peace', denuclearization: KCNA
- 20.06.2018Uzbekistan starts direct negotiations with Taliban
- 20.06.2018Afghan president offers year of ceasefire to Taliban
- 19.06.2018Iran rules out OPEC deal as Russia, Saudi push for oil output hike
- 19.06.2018Russia, Saudi push for big hike in oil output despite Iran opposition
- 19.06.2018MERS kills scores in Saudi Arabia
- 19.06.2018North Korea's Kim in China; U.S., South Korea suspend military drill
- 19.06.2018US, Turkey start patrols in Manbij
- 19.06.2018Jordan’s king, Israeli PM hold discussions in Amman
- 18.06.2018Six Iraqis killed in Daesh ambush near Mosul: Official
- 18.06.2018US airstrikes kill 22 Hashd al-Shaabi fighters in Iraq
- 18.06.2018Turkish soldiers enter outer districts of north Syria's Manbij
- 16.06.2018Turkey hits 'critical gathering' of PKK in north Iraq
- 16.06.2018Blast taints cease-fire in Afghanistan, 20 killed
- 15.06.2018Yemen gov’t forces take Al-Hudaydah’s southern entrance
- 14.06.2018Kashmiri journalist shot dead
- 14.06.2018Moon celebrates peace as Koreas hold military talks
- 13.06.2018Arab states launch biggest assault of Yemen war with attack on main port
- 13.06.2018Russian military seize arms cache in Syria’s Homs province
- 13.06.2018Iraq: Al-Sadr allies with Fatah to form majority group
- 12.06.2018Trump: North Korea sanctions will remain, but ‘war games’ to end
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim sign document following Singapore meeting
- 12.06.2018Ex-NBA star Rodman bursts in tears after historic Trump, Kim handshake
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim complete extended format talks - UPDATED-1
- 12.06.2018U.S. unveils de facto embassy in Taiwan amid China tensions
- 12.06.2018Trump says summit with North Korea's Kim is 'very, very good'
- 12.06.2018North Korea's Kim visits Singapore's sky bar, gardens in surprise evening tour
- 12.06.2018Kim set a deadline for ending summit, prompting earlier exit by Trump
- 12.06.2018Qatar sues United Arab Emirates at UN rights court
- 11.06.2018Former NBA star Rodman arrives in Singapore for Trump-Kim summit
- 11.06.2018Turkey launches anti-PKK ops in Qandil Mountains – Erdogan
- 03.09.2017Pyongyang claims it now has hydrogen bomb small enough to mount on ICBM
- 03.09.2017North Korea shaken by strong tremor, which could signal a weapons test
- 04.09.2017BRICS countries vow to fight terrorism, corruption
- 03.09.2017Iraqi forces gear up for fresh anti-Daesh ops in Kirkuk
- 03.09.2017Cambodian opposition leader Kem Sokha arrested over alleged plot
- 01.09.2017Afghan president says ready for dialogue with Pakistan