Iran: Improvement in Syria creates chances to find political solution
Recent positive developments in the Syrian crisis bring about a "historical opportunity" to achieve a political solution to the conflict, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said Saturday.
"Today, the situation of the government and people of Syria has improved, while extremist and radical groups find themselves in unfavorable conditions, which brings about a historical opportunity to find a political solution [to the Syrian crisis]," Zarif said, as quoted by the press service of the Iranian government.
According to the Iranian foreign minister, the conflicts in Syria, Yemen, Bahrain and other countries of the Middle East should not be resolved through military means, but through a political process, which stipulates that the people should define the future of their countries.
Zarif also argued that foreign countries could offer assistance to pave the way for the political solution to crises, but should refrain from imposing their will on the conflict-affected nations, while stressing that Syrian talks in Kazakh capital of Astana have brought positive results, and will continue to be an efficient platform for the reconciliation of the Syrian crisis.
The civil war between the Syrian government forces and various opposition and terror groups has been raging in the country since 2011. The parties to the conflict and representatives of international community negotiate the reconciliation of the Syrian crisis in Switzerland's Geneva and Astana. The next round of talks on Syria will take place in Astana in mid-September.
Related news releases
- 24.02.2018Dozens killed in 2 car bombings in Yemen's Aden
- 24.02.2018South Korea says U.S. sanctions on North will bolster U.N. resolutions
- 22.02.2018Lavrov: Russia will consider ceasefire in Syria
- 22.02.2018N Korea calls US-Japan missile drills provocation against Intra-Korean Dialogue
- 22.02.2018Over 400 undocumented migrants held across Turkey
- 22.02.2018Ziyad Sabsabi: "There are about 15 children who lost their parents in Iraq"
- 22.02.2018North Korea canceled planned meeting with Pence
- 21.02.2018North Korea cancelled talks with US Vice President
- 21.02.2018Talks between Erbil, Baghdad reach final stages: PM
- 20.02.2018Russian Center for Syrian Reconciliation comes under massive fire
- 20.02.2018Palestine ready to exchange minor territories with Israel - Abbas
- 20.02.2018Turkish President: Syrian forces tried to enter Afrin, retreated after Turkey's shelling
- 20.02.2018YPG/PKK-Daesh terror groups shell Turkey's south Hatay
- 20.02.2018Maldives leader seeks approval to extend state of emergency
- 19.02.2018Three Iranian police killed in clashes with Sufi protesters
- 19.02.2018Islamic State kills 27 Iraqi militiamen near Kirkuk
- 19.02.2018Israel, Egypt sign $15bn natural gas purchase agreement
- 19.02.2018Kurdish region flight ban to be lifted soon: Iraqi PM
- 18.02.2018Daesh doesn’t represent Islam: Iraqi PM
- 18.02.20182 Turkish soldiers martyred, one injured in operations
- 17.02.2018Turkish, Iraqi PMs stress cooperation against terrorism
- 17.02.20184 Israeli troops injured by explosive device near Gaza
- 17.02.2018Turkish PM: 'We have given terrorist organizations the Ottoman slap'
- 16.02.2018PYD/PKK terrorist admits to posing as civilian
- 16.02.20187 Turkish soldiers injured in Operation Olive Branch
- 15.02.2018Indonesia charges Daesh-linked group for deadly bombing
- 15.02.2018Lebanese PM rule out Hezbollah alliance in May election
- 15.02.2018US secretary of state meets with Jordan king in Amman
- 14.02.2018Knesset rejects bill recognizing so-called Armenian Genocide
- 14.02.2018No cases of human infection with H5N6 bird flu reported in Iran – official
- 14.02.2018Over 20 undocumented migrants held in Turkey
- 14.02.2018Turkey's president speaks to Saudi counterpart
- 14.02.2018Taliban confirms senior leader killed by US air strike
- 14.02.2018İraqi Turkmen Front officer attacked in Kirkuk
- 13.02.2018Cyclone wreaks havoc in Tonga's capital, parliament flattened, homes wrecked
- 13.02.2018Russians killed in clash with U.S.-led forces in Syria, say associates
- 12.02.2018Israel's Netanyahu says discussing settlement annexation with U.S.
- 11.02.2018Netanyahu speaks to Russia’s Putin about Iran
- 11.02.2018Putin Urges Netanyahu to Avoid Escalation in Syria
- 10.02.201811 Turkish soldiers killed, 11 injured in Afrin - UPDATED
- 03.09.2017Pyongyang claims it now has hydrogen bomb small enough to mount on ICBM
- 03.09.2017North Korea shaken by strong tremor, which could signal a weapons test
- 04.09.2017BRICS countries vow to fight terrorism, corruption
- 03.09.2017Iraqi forces gear up for fresh anti-Daesh ops in Kirkuk
- 03.09.2017Cambodian opposition leader Kem Sokha arrested over alleged plot
- 01.09.2017Afghan president says ready for dialogue with Pakistan