Iran arrests members of Daesh-linked group suspected of plotting terror attacks
Iranian security forces arrested 27 terrorists affiliated with Daesh terrorist group (banned in Russia), who intended to conduct attacks in religious cities of the country, local media reported on Monday, citing the Intelligence Ministry, APA reports quoting sputniknews.
According to the ministry's statement, quoted by the Islamic Republic News Agency (IRNA), 10 people were arrested abroad and 17 inside the country. Five of the arrested individuals were planning to perform attacks inside the country, while the others were playing supporting and logistics role for operational group.
The operation, in which the law enforcers cooperated with one of regional intelligence services, also resulted in some weapons discovered and confiscated. The terrorists were trying to transfer arms and ammunition by hiding them in home appliances.
On June 7, a twin terrorist attack in the Iranian capital of Tehran left at least 70 people dead and more than 40 injured. A group of four people in women's clothing opened fire in the Iranian Parliament building, which was followed by a deadly explosion. Another attack involved an explosion near the Imam Khomeini shrine.
Related news releases
- 25.02.2018Turkey welcomes UNSC decision for cease-fire in Syria
- 25.02.20181 terrorist killed, 11 others arrested in SW Pakistan
- 25.02.2018Iraq needs S-400 air defense systems to defend against air attacks — MP
- 25.02.2018Saakashvili's Supporters Protest Near Ukraine's Chief Prosecutor's House
- 24.02.2018UN SC unanimously adopts resolution on 30-day ceasefire in Syria
- 24.02.2018Speeding vehicle kills 9 schoolchildren in İndia
- 24.02.2018Dozens killed in 2 car bombings in Yemen's Aden
- 24.02.2018South Korea says U.S. sanctions on North will bolster U.N. resolutions
- 22.02.2018Lavrov: Russia will consider ceasefire in Syria
- 22.02.2018N Korea calls US-Japan missile drills provocation against Intra-Korean Dialogue
- 22.02.2018Over 400 undocumented migrants held across Turkey
- 22.02.2018Ziyad Sabsabi: "There are about 15 children who lost their parents in Iraq"
- 22.02.2018North Korea canceled planned meeting with Pence
- 21.02.2018North Korea cancelled talks with US Vice President
- 21.02.2018Talks between Erbil, Baghdad reach final stages: PM
- 20.02.2018Russian Center for Syrian Reconciliation comes under massive fire
- 20.02.2018Palestine ready to exchange minor territories with Israel - Abbas
- 20.02.2018Turkish President: Syrian forces tried to enter Afrin, retreated after Turkey's shelling
- 20.02.2018YPG/PKK-Daesh terror groups shell Turkey's south Hatay
- 20.02.2018Maldives leader seeks approval to extend state of emergency
- 19.02.2018Three Iranian police killed in clashes with Sufi protesters
- 19.02.2018Islamic State kills 27 Iraqi militiamen near Kirkuk
- 19.02.2018Israel, Egypt sign $15bn natural gas purchase agreement
- 19.02.2018Kurdish region flight ban to be lifted soon: Iraqi PM
- 18.02.2018Daesh doesn’t represent Islam: Iraqi PM
- 18.02.20182 Turkish soldiers martyred, one injured in operations
- 17.02.2018Turkish, Iraqi PMs stress cooperation against terrorism
- 17.02.20184 Israeli troops injured by explosive device near Gaza
- 17.02.2018Turkish PM: 'We have given terrorist organizations the Ottoman slap'
- 16.02.2018PYD/PKK terrorist admits to posing as civilian
- 16.02.20187 Turkish soldiers injured in Operation Olive Branch
- 15.02.2018Indonesia charges Daesh-linked group for deadly bombing
- 15.02.2018Lebanese PM rule out Hezbollah alliance in May election
- 15.02.2018US secretary of state meets with Jordan king in Amman
- 14.02.2018Knesset rejects bill recognizing so-called Armenian Genocide
- 14.02.2018No cases of human infection with H5N6 bird flu reported in Iran – official
- 14.02.2018Over 20 undocumented migrants held in Turkey
- 14.02.2018Turkey's president speaks to Saudi counterpart
- 14.02.2018Taliban confirms senior leader killed by US air strike
- 14.02.2018İraqi Turkmen Front officer attacked in Kirkuk
- 08.08.2017Israel moves to shut down local operations of Al Jazeera
- 08.08.2017At least 22 wounded in bomb blast in Pakistani city of Lahore
- 08.08.2017Joint Turkey-Qatar naval games exercises up outside Doha
- 07.08.2017India kills '5 militants' along Kashmir de facto border
- 06.08.2017Clandestine Isis unit training Britons to launch attacks on UK
- 06.08.2017Rouhani warns US against 'political suicide'