India kills '5 militants' along Kashmir de facto border
Indian army on Monday said it foiled an alleged infiltration attempt along the Line of Control -- the de facto border that divides Kashmir between India and Pakistan -- and killed five suspected militants in the north of the disputed territory, APA reports quoting Reuters.
The suspected militants were intercepted in Machil border area in Kupwara district, army spokesman Col. Rajesh Kalia told Anadolu Agency.
Kalia also said five weapons were recovered from the slain men, identities of whom remain unknown so far.
Machil is the same area where Indian army soldiers in 2010 claimed to have killed "three foreign militants" during an alleged gun battle; the three slain men were later found to be civilians who had been killed in a staged gunfight by soldiers seeking financial rewards and promotions.
Meanwhile, Pakistan also accused Indian border forces of killing a civilian woman and injuring another after “unprovoked firing” along the LoC.
Pakistani military’s media wing, Inter Services Public Relations, said in a statement the army targeted Indian posts “in response”. Kashmir, a Muslim-majority Himalayan region, is held by India and Pakistan in parts and claimed by both in full.
A small sliver of Kashmir is also held by China. The two countries have fought three wars – in 1948, 1965 and 1971 -- since they were partitioned in 1947, two of which were fought over Kashmir. Kashmiri resistance groups in Jammu and Kashmir have been fighting against Indian rule for independence, or for unification with neighboring Pakistan.
More than 70,000 people have reportedly been killed in the conflict since 1989. India maintains more than half a million troops in the disputed region.
Related news releases
- 25.02.2018Turkey welcomes UNSC decision for cease-fire in Syria
- 25.02.20181 terrorist killed, 11 others arrested in SW Pakistan
- 25.02.2018Iraq needs S-400 air defense systems to defend against air attacks — MP
- 25.02.2018Saakashvili's Supporters Protest Near Ukraine's Chief Prosecutor's House
- 24.02.2018UN SC unanimously adopts resolution on 30-day ceasefire in Syria
- 24.02.2018Speeding vehicle kills 9 schoolchildren in İndia
- 24.02.2018Dozens killed in 2 car bombings in Yemen's Aden
- 24.02.2018South Korea says U.S. sanctions on North will bolster U.N. resolutions
- 22.02.2018Lavrov: Russia will consider ceasefire in Syria
- 22.02.2018N Korea calls US-Japan missile drills provocation against Intra-Korean Dialogue
- 22.02.2018Over 400 undocumented migrants held across Turkey
- 22.02.2018Ziyad Sabsabi: "There are about 15 children who lost their parents in Iraq"
- 22.02.2018North Korea canceled planned meeting with Pence
- 21.02.2018North Korea cancelled talks with US Vice President
- 21.02.2018Talks between Erbil, Baghdad reach final stages: PM
- 20.02.2018Russian Center for Syrian Reconciliation comes under massive fire
- 20.02.2018Palestine ready to exchange minor territories with Israel - Abbas
- 20.02.2018Turkish President: Syrian forces tried to enter Afrin, retreated after Turkey's shelling
- 20.02.2018YPG/PKK-Daesh terror groups shell Turkey's south Hatay
- 20.02.2018Maldives leader seeks approval to extend state of emergency
- 19.02.2018Three Iranian police killed in clashes with Sufi protesters
- 19.02.2018Islamic State kills 27 Iraqi militiamen near Kirkuk
- 19.02.2018Israel, Egypt sign $15bn natural gas purchase agreement
- 19.02.2018Kurdish region flight ban to be lifted soon: Iraqi PM
- 18.02.2018Daesh doesn’t represent Islam: Iraqi PM
- 18.02.20182 Turkish soldiers martyred, one injured in operations
- 17.02.2018Turkish, Iraqi PMs stress cooperation against terrorism
- 17.02.20184 Israeli troops injured by explosive device near Gaza
- 17.02.2018Turkish PM: 'We have given terrorist organizations the Ottoman slap'
- 16.02.2018PYD/PKK terrorist admits to posing as civilian
- 16.02.20187 Turkish soldiers injured in Operation Olive Branch
- 15.02.2018Indonesia charges Daesh-linked group for deadly bombing
- 15.02.2018Lebanese PM rule out Hezbollah alliance in May election
- 15.02.2018US secretary of state meets with Jordan king in Amman
- 14.02.2018Knesset rejects bill recognizing so-called Armenian Genocide
- 14.02.2018No cases of human infection with H5N6 bird flu reported in Iran – official
- 14.02.2018Over 20 undocumented migrants held in Turkey
- 14.02.2018Turkey's president speaks to Saudi counterpart
- 14.02.2018Taliban confirms senior leader killed by US air strike
- 14.02.2018İraqi Turkmen Front officer attacked in Kirkuk
- 07.08.2017Iran arrests members of Daesh-linked group suspected of plotting terror attacks
- 08.08.2017Israel moves to shut down local operations of Al Jazeera
- 08.08.2017At least 22 wounded in bomb blast in Pakistani city of Lahore
- 06.08.2017Clandestine Isis unit training Britons to launch attacks on UK
- 06.08.2017Rouhani warns US against 'political suicide'
- 06.08.2017Former minister elected as new vice president of India