Hashd al-Shaabi, police clashes kill 2 in Iraq’s Mosul
At least one medical officer of the Hashd al-Shaabi and one police personnel were killed on Monday in northern Iraq’s Mosul over clashes between the two sides, according to security sources, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
“Armed clashes broke out between local police [in Mosul] and the Hashd al-Shaabi forces in Mosul's Old City that led to the killing of Ibrahim al-Khazaali, an officer in-charge of medical affairs in the Sayyid al-Shuhada brigades affiliated with the Hashd al-Shaabi, and wounding two others from the same faction," an Iraqi army captain told Anadolu Agency on condition of anonymity due to restrictions to speak to media.
The clashes also resulted in the killing of one police personnel and injuring of three other personnel, the source said.
Security forces of the National Security Service arrived in Mosul's Old City to cope with the situation, it added.
Meanwhile, local police lieutenant Ahmad Ismail al-Khafaji attributed the clashes to the Hashd al-Shaabi’s "attempt to gain control over the headquarters of police officers in Mosul’s old city”.
“A force from the Hashd al-Shaabi stormed the headquarters of the seventh regiment when the police personnel were having a rest. They assaulted police personnel and threatened to kill them unless they immediately evacuate the place."
When they rejected to evacuate the police headquarters the clashes erupted between the two sides, Hafaji added.
There was no explanation by the Hashd al-Shaabi commanders who refrained from speaking about the incident.
The Iraqi forces announced it regained control of Mosul from the self-proclaimed Daesh terrorist organization, in the summer of last year, following nine- month fighting.
The Hashd al-Shaabi forces did not participate in the battles to retake the city center, however, it has entered it in the wake of the defeat of Daesh and took permanent positions there.
The Hashd al-Shaabi fought alongside Iraqi forces against Daesh for three years, however, it faces charges of abuses against civilians, Sunnis and Kurds in the areas.
The commanders of the Hashd al-Shaabi, for their part, deny any systematic violations.
Related news releases
- 25.06.2018Indonesia: 3 civiliians killed in separatist attack
- 25.06.2018Abbas Ready to Meet Netanyahu in Moscow - Palestinian Ambassador
- 25.06.2018Elections in Turkey held in compliance with int’l standards: TURKPA
- 24.06.2018Russian military demines Syria's Al-Naseriyah, South Douma
- 24.06.2018Senior Iranian Commander killed in Syria
- 24.06.2018Landmark day for Saudi women as kingdom's controversial driving ban ends
- 23.06.2018Turkey neutralizes at least 11 PKK terrorists in ops
- 23.06.20186 killed in landslide in Myanmar's northernmost state
- 22.06.2018Turkish army neutralizes 87 PKK terrorists in a week
- 22.06.2018Saudi-led coalition faces tough battle for Yemen's Hodeidah port
- 21.06.2018Trump: North Korea blowing up test sites, 'total denuclearization...has already started'
- 21.06.2018Syria’s Idlib rocked by twin bombings; 5 killed
- 21.06.2018North Korea preparing to destroy ICBM test site
- 21.06.201810 killed in road accident in NW Pakistan
- 21.06.2018Turkish airstrikes cause serious losses to PKK in Iraq
- 20.06.2018More than 240 undocumented migrants held across Turkey
- 20.06.2018Iran says no plans to increase missile range, rejects talks with Trump
- 20.06.2018North Korea expected to begin transferring remains of U.S. troops soon: officials
- 20.06.2018North Korea, China discuss 'true peace', denuclearization: KCNA
- 20.06.2018Uzbekistan starts direct negotiations with Taliban
- 20.06.2018Afghan president offers year of ceasefire to Taliban
- 19.06.2018Iran rules out OPEC deal as Russia, Saudi push for oil output hike
- 19.06.2018Russia, Saudi push for big hike in oil output despite Iran opposition
- 19.06.2018MERS kills scores in Saudi Arabia
- 19.06.2018North Korea's Kim in China; U.S., South Korea suspend military drill
- 19.06.2018US, Turkey start patrols in Manbij
- 19.06.2018Jordan’s king, Israeli PM hold discussions in Amman
- 18.06.2018Six Iraqis killed in Daesh ambush near Mosul: Official
- 18.06.2018US airstrikes kill 22 Hashd al-Shaabi fighters in Iraq
- 18.06.2018Turkish soldiers enter outer districts of north Syria's Manbij
- 16.06.2018Turkey hits 'critical gathering' of PKK in north Iraq
- 16.06.2018Blast taints cease-fire in Afghanistan, 20 killed
- 15.06.2018Yemen gov’t forces take Al-Hudaydah’s southern entrance
- 14.06.2018Kashmiri journalist shot dead
- 14.06.2018Moon celebrates peace as Koreas hold military talks
- 13.06.2018Arab states launch biggest assault of Yemen war with attack on main port
- 13.06.2018Russian military seize arms cache in Syria’s Homs province
- 13.06.2018Iraq: Al-Sadr allies with Fatah to form majority group
- 12.06.2018Trump: North Korea sanctions will remain, but ‘war games’ to end
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim sign document following Singapore meeting
- 29.05.2018Japanese, US Leaders to Meet Before Planned US-N. Korea Summit
- 29.05.2018Top aide to North Korean leader lands in Singapore as summit preparations advance: NHK
- 29.05.2018Plane crash in Iran kills 2, injures 1
- 29.05.2018South Korea calls for more impromptu talks with North Korea as U.S. prepares for summit
- 28.05.2018India says it only follows U.N. sanctions, not U.S. sanctions on Iran
- 28.05.2018Iran denies alleged meeting in Jordan with Israel intel