Hamas launches campaign against collaboration with Israel
Islam Shahwan, a Hamas Interior Ministry spokesman, said the campaign promised amnesty for collaborators who surrender willingly.
In its second part, the campaign involves public programs to raise awareness against aiding Israel with information, he said.
In 2007, Hamas took over Gaza after routing security forces loyal to President Mahmoud Abbas of the rival Fatah movement. Since then, Hamas prides itself on "cleaning" the coastal enclave from Israel's eyes.
But in subsequent waves of cross-border fighting with Israel, Israeli airplanes identified and hit several Hamas targets, including senior military and political leaders who used to move in disguise and secretly, such as Interior Minister Said Siam and Hamas' military chief Ahmed al-Jaabari.
Hamas blames the collaborators for helping Israel allocating its bank of targets. During the eight-day clash between Hamas and Israel in November 2012, which was sparked after the killing of al- Jaabari, Hamas executed seven collaborators in the streets, some of them summarily, in addition to 14 others who were executed after complete trials over the past three years.
The new campaign against spying is the second of its kind that Hamas launches. Shahwan said that in 2010, about 30 collaborators handed themselves over to his ministry.
Related news releases
- 24.07.201610-day ban on public gatherings in Afghanistan
- 24.07.2016Satellites Pinpoint Suspected Top-Secret North Korean Nuclear Site
- 24.07.2016Azerbaijan’s President extends condolences to his Afghan counterpart
- 23.07.2016Putin, Netanyahu discuss anti-terror cooperation in Middle East
- 23.07.2016Death toll in China floods passes 150, hundreds of thousands evacuated
- 23.07.2016At least 80 dead, 230 wounded in Kabul attack - UPDATED
- 23.07.2016Isis claims responsibility for deadly Kabul attack
- 23.07.2016Saudi Arabia offers Russia economic incentives to drop Assad
- 22.07.2016American fighting with Kurds against Islamic State killed in Syria
- 22.07.2016Military to be restructured after coup attempt, Erdogan says
- 21.07.2016Pesidential spokesperson İbrahim Kalın: "US should stop letting Gülen be the problem in relations with Turkey"
- 21.07.2016Myanmar military admits soldiers killed five villagers
- 20.07.2016Suicide bombing rocks Yemen’s Aden; 5 policemen killed
- 19.07.2016North Korea fires three ballistic missiles in show of force
- 18.07.2016Tehran dismisses rumors suggesting Turkish president visited Iran following coup attempt
- 15.07.2016Governor of Yemen's Aden survives car bomb attack
- 15.07.2016South Koreans protesting over U.S. missile defense plan block PM's bus
- 15.07.2016China tells Japan to stop interfering in South China Sea
- 15.07.2016Tropical storm kills nearly 70 people in China's Fujian province
- 14.07.20162 dead, 18 injured in C China coach accident
- 14.07.2016Islamic State confirms key commander Omar Shishani dead
- 14.07.20162 more protesters killed in Indian-held Kashmir
- 14.07.2016Islamic State says 'minister of war' Shishani killed: Amaq news agency
- 13.07.2016Islamic State car bomb attack kills seven north of Baghdad
- 13.07.2016China vows to protect South China Sea sovereignty, Manila upbeat
- 13.07.2016Iran summons French ambassador over dissident meeting in Paris
- 13.07.2016South China Sea: China defiant as tribunal backs Philippines
- 12.07.2016Pentagon chief Ashton Carter lands in Afghanistan
- 12.07.2016Rebels attack government lines in Syria's Aleppo after supply road cut
- 12.07.2016After nuclear deal, Iran sticks to wary tactics in key Gulf waterway
- 11.07.2016North Korea says will treat U.S. detainees under 'wartime law'
- 10.07.2016Beijing eses live missiles in South China Sea drills as tensions mount
- 10.07.20161 die in clashes in Kashmir after killing of Islamist leader
- 09.07.20162 Russian soldiers die after helicopter shot down in Syria
- 09.07.2016Senior Kurdish PKK commander killed in Syria
- 09.07.2016NATO leaders decide to extend Resolute Support in Afghanistan
- 09.07.2016North Korean submarine ballistic missile test 'fails'
- 09.07.2016China holds combat drill in the South China Sea
- 09.07.2016North Korea fires submarine-launched missile: South Korea
- 09.07.2016Iran says U.N. report on its ballistic missile tests 'unrealistic'
- 12.03.20134 killed, 11 injured in attacks in Pakistan's Karachi
- 12.03.2013Multiple mortar attacks leave injuries in Syria's Damascus
- 12.03.2013Jerusalem Arab residents contest highway route
- 11.03.2013Bahrain crown prince widens role amid crisis talks
- 11.03.20138 killed, 120 wounded in attacks in Iraq
- 11.03.2013Rafsanjani: “The ground should be prepared for the participation of all groups in the elections of the country”