Hamas launches campaign against collaboration with Israel
Islam Shahwan, a Hamas Interior Ministry spokesman, said the campaign promised amnesty for collaborators who surrender willingly.
In its second part, the campaign involves public programs to raise awareness against aiding Israel with information, he said.
In 2007, Hamas took over Gaza after routing security forces loyal to President Mahmoud Abbas of the rival Fatah movement. Since then, Hamas prides itself on "cleaning" the coastal enclave from Israel's eyes.
But in subsequent waves of cross-border fighting with Israel, Israeli airplanes identified and hit several Hamas targets, including senior military and political leaders who used to move in disguise and secretly, such as Interior Minister Said Siam and Hamas' military chief Ahmed al-Jaabari.
Hamas blames the collaborators for helping Israel allocating its bank of targets. During the eight-day clash between Hamas and Israel in November 2012, which was sparked after the killing of al- Jaabari, Hamas executed seven collaborators in the streets, some of them summarily, in addition to 14 others who were executed after complete trials over the past three years.
The new campaign against spying is the second of its kind that Hamas launches. Shahwan said that in 2010, about 30 collaborators handed themselves over to his ministry.
Related news releases
- 08.12.20168.0-magnitude quake hits 63km WSW of Kirakira, Solomon Islands
- 08.12.2016Syrian army suspends combat operations in Aleppo - Lavrov
- 08.12.2016Nusra Front militants requesting evacuation from Aleppo
- 08.12.2016Death toll reaches 99 in Indonesia quake
- 08.12.201611 confirmed dead in central China mine accident
- 08.12.2016Trump picks longtime friend of Beijing as U.S. ambassador to China
- 08.12.2016Daesh loses last hold in Libya, US says
- 08.12.2016Israel's Netanyahu gives conditional 'No' to meeting Palestinian president in Paris
- 08.12.2016Dozens killed in west Iraq air strike, MPs and medics say
- 07.12.2016'No survivors' after plane crash in northern Pakistan mountains
- 07.12.2016Syrian troops take full control over 47 quarters of eastern Aleppo
- 07.12.2016Pakistani plane with 47 people aboard crashes - UPDATED
- 07.12.2016Car bomb attack leaves two Turkish soldiers dead in Syria's al-Bab
- 07.12.2016Russian colonel killed in Aleppo shelling by opposition militants
- 07.12.2016Indonesia earthquake kills at least 54 people - VIDEO - UPDATED
- 06.12.2016Syrian government forces advance on 2 fronts in Aleppo
- 06.12.2016Saudi Court Sentences 15 Men to Death for Spying for Iran
- 06.12.2016Iranian speaker: Good prospects for further development of Iran-Azerbaijan ties
- 06.12.2016Iranian billionaire Babak Zanjani’s death sentence may be revoked
- 06.12.2016Indian Air Force plane carrying president to Chennai returns to Delhi after mid-air snag
- 06.12.201611 trapped in central China mine accident
- 06.12.2016Islamic State urges supporters to stage new wave of attacks
- 06.12.2016West Mosul shelled as Iraq steps up fight against Islamic State
- 06.12.2016Israeli legislators advance revised bill to legalize settlements
- 05.12.2016French PM Valls makes presidential bid, quits government
- 05.12.2016Russian female doctor killed in Aleppo hospital shelling
- 03.12.2016Malaysia says Myanmar violence against Muslim Rohingya 'ethnic cleansing'
- 03.12.2016South Korea opposition introduces bill to impeach scandal-tainted Park
- 03.12.2016Philippines' Duterte gets Trump White House invite during 'animated' call
- 02.12.2016Iran says U.S. extension of sanctions act violates nuclear deal
- 02.12.2016Iran develops bill banning import of US-made goods
- 02.12.2016Japan to impose additional sanctions on North Korea
- 01.12.2016Attack on military camp forces India to expedite tech
- 01.12.2016Thailand's crown prince becomes country's new king
- 01.12.2016Training plane crashes in Iran
- 01.12.2016Lavrov: Air strikes on Turkish soldiers carried out by neither Russia nor Syria
- 01.12.2016Another Abian para; case suspected in central Japan
- 30.11.2016U.N. imposes new sanctions on North Korea to slash cash from exports
- 30.11.2016Erdogan discusses Syrian issue with Putin over telephone
- 30.11.2016SKorea opposition parties discuss when to impeach president
- 12.03.20134 killed, 11 injured in attacks in Pakistan's Karachi
- 12.03.2013Multiple mortar attacks leave injuries in Syria's Damascus
- 12.03.2013Jerusalem Arab residents contest highway route
- 11.03.2013Bahrain crown prince widens role amid crisis talks
- 11.03.20138 killed, 120 wounded in attacks in Iraq
- 11.03.2013Rafsanjani: “The ground should be prepared for the participation of all groups in the elections of the country”