Hamas launches campaign against collaboration with Israel
Islam Shahwan, a Hamas Interior Ministry spokesman, said the campaign promised amnesty for collaborators who surrender willingly.
In its second part, the campaign involves public programs to raise awareness against aiding Israel with information, he said.
In 2007, Hamas took over Gaza after routing security forces loyal to President Mahmoud Abbas of the rival Fatah movement. Since then, Hamas prides itself on "cleaning" the coastal enclave from Israel's eyes.
But in subsequent waves of cross-border fighting with Israel, Israeli airplanes identified and hit several Hamas targets, including senior military and political leaders who used to move in disguise and secretly, such as Interior Minister Said Siam and Hamas' military chief Ahmed al-Jaabari.
Hamas blames the collaborators for helping Israel allocating its bank of targets. During the eight-day clash between Hamas and Israel in November 2012, which was sparked after the killing of al- Jaabari, Hamas executed seven collaborators in the streets, some of them summarily, in addition to 14 others who were executed after complete trials over the past three years.
The new campaign against spying is the second of its kind that Hamas launches. Shahwan said that in 2010, about 30 collaborators handed themselves over to his ministry.
Related news releases
- 22.10.2016U.S. says it killed 8 al Qaeda-affiliated militants in Yemen
- 21.10.2016Turkmen TV worker killed by Daesh in Iraq’s Kirkuk
- 21.10.2016Militants constantly attack all humanitarian corridors in Aleppo
- 20.10.2016Three Russian officers wounded in militants' fire near Aleppo
- 20.10.2016Iraqi troops liberate town of Bartella
- 20.10.2016Another North Korea intermediate range missile fails after launch
- 20.10.2016Typhoon Haima approaches south China
- 20.10.2016Oil station fire kills 1 at Saudi
- 19.10.2016Two American advisers killed, three wounded by shooter in Afghan capital
- 19.10.2016OIC lists FETO as terrorist organization
- 19.10.2016Japan is considering the possibility of dispute with Russia Kuril Islands
- 19.10.2016Saudi Arabia executes prince for murder
- 18.10.2016Iran sentences 2 Americans to 10-year prison terms
- 18.10.2016Turkish Air Force to join Mosul operation: Defense Min. - UPDATED
- 18.10.2016Turkish defense minister: Syrian war in a 'new phase'
- 18.10.2016Three Iranian ministers resign
- 18.10.2016Yemen ceasefire set to start on Wednesday night: U.N envoy
- 18.10.201623 die in hospital fire in eastern India
- 18.10.20162 die in residential highrise fire in Mumbai
- 18.10.201613 killed in airstrikes on rebel-held area in Syria's Aleppo
- 18.10.2016Yemeni president agrees to 72-hour ceasefire, foreign minister says
- 18.10.2016Death toll from Japanese encephalitis in India's Odisha rises to 54
- 17.10.2016Saudi Arabia says prepared for ceasefire in Yemen if Houthis agree
- 17.10.2016Kuwait cabinet calls for parliament polls in November
- 16.10.20164 killed after ferry capsizes in northwestern Myanmar
- 16.10.2016US military 'begins shelling' ISIS in Iraq's Mosul
- 15.10.2016Turkish President: "People of Mosul not to be left to their fates"
- 15.10.2016Suicide bombing, shootouts kill around 55 in Iraq
- 15.10.2016Members of terrorist group arrested in Iran
- 15.10.2016Turkey-backed Syrian rebels attack ISIS’s Dabiq
- 15.10.2016Saudi solider killed in shooting at Saudi-Yemeni border
- 15.10.2016DPRK accuses UK of openly joining U.S.-South Korea war games
- 14.10.2016Five killed in spate of Baghdad bombings
- 14.10.2016Israel suspends cooperation with UNESCO over Jerusalem draft
- 14.10.2016Bashar Assad: “Saudi Arabia offered Syria assistance for the rupture of relations with Iran”
- 14.10.2016Gulf States designate FETO ‘terrorist organization’
- 14.10.2016Samsung flags $5.3 billion profit hit from Note 7 failure
- 14.10.201615 killed in bomb attack in northwestern Syria
- 14.10.2016US bracing for military intervention in Yemen: Houthis
- 13.10.2016Turkey, Israel to exchange ambassadors within 10 days
- 12.03.20134 killed, 11 injured in attacks in Pakistan's Karachi
- 12.03.2013Multiple mortar attacks leave injuries in Syria's Damascus
- 12.03.2013Jerusalem Arab residents contest highway route
- 11.03.2013Bahrain crown prince widens role amid crisis talks
- 11.03.20138 killed, 120 wounded in attacks in Iraq
- 11.03.2013Rafsanjani: “The ground should be prepared for the participation of all groups in the elections of the country”