Hamas, Fatah delegations to meet in Qatar
Baku-APA. Delegations from rival Palestinian factions Hamas and Fatah will meet Saturday evening in Doha to discuss means of implementing a 2014 reconciliation agreement, leading Hamas member Ismail Radwan has said, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
"We hope to agree on a common vision with a view to applying the terms of the reconciliation deal," Radwan told Anadolu Agency.
According to Radwan, Mousa Abu Marzouk, a member of the group’s political bureau, will head up the Hamas delegation, while the Fatah delegation will be led by Azzam al-Ahmad, a member of Fatah’s central committee.
In press statements made last week, Khaled Meshaal, head of Hamas’ political bureau, said delegations from both groups planned to hold additional negotiations within the context of ongoing Qatar-hosted reconciliation talks.
Leading members of the two movements met last month in Doha to discuss mechanisms for implementing the reconciliation agreement and address the obstacles that have continued to hinder its application.
In an earlier statement, Hamas said that it and Fatah had reached a "common view for the practical implementation" of the 2014 reconciliation deal with a view to ending long-running differences between the two factions.
The group did not, however, disclose any further details.
In April of 2014, Hamas and Fatah signed a long-awaited reconciliation agreement that called for the formation of a Palestinian unity government tasked with overseeing Palestinian legislative and presidential polls.
Although the unity government was unveiled two months later, it has yet to take on a governing role in the Hamas-run Gaza Strip, while the relationship between the two factions remains beset by a host of longstanding differences.
Ali Abo Rezig contributed to this report
Related news releases
- 22.10.2017Super Typhoon Lan to make direct hit on Tokyo
- 21.10.2017North Korea has the missile technology to destroy US carriers near its shores
- 21.10.2017Moscow welcomes any action to combat ISIL
- 21.10.2017Rockets strike downtown Kabul, no casualties reported
- 21.10.2017Iraqi forces take control of town in Mosul
- 21.10.2017Suicide bombers attack two Afghan mosques, at least 72 dead - UPDATED
- 21.10.2017Iranian commander issued stark warning to Iraqi Kurds over Kirkuk
- 20.10.2017Lebanon sentences 2 to death for 1982 assassination
- 20.10.2017North Korea says to continue nuclear tests
- 20.10.20171 police dies, 4 injured in northern Iraq attack
- 19.10.2017Erbil says ready to hold talks with Baghdad
- 19.10.2017Turkish jets kill 4 PKK terrorists in northern Iraq
- 19.10.2017North Korea warns U.S. could face 'unimaginable' strike
- 19.10.2017Taliban insurgents kill at least 40 soldiers in Afghanistan
- 18.10.2017North Korea building new ballistic missile submarine
- 18.10.2017Iraq's Kurd region halts preparations for Nov. 1 polls
- 18.10.2017Raqqa drone video shows the city in Ruins
- 18.10.2017Communist Party of China opens the 19th National Congress
- 18.10.2017North Korean official: We won’t negotiate until we can strike US east coast
- 17.10.20172 UAE pilots killed in Yemen crash
- 17.10.2017Raqqa: IS 'capital' falls to US-backed Syrian forces
- 17.10.2017At least 50 killed in Taliban attacks on Afghan police - UPDATED
- 17.10.2017Massive Us-South Korean naval war games begin near Korean peninsula
- 17.10.2017Four nations meet to resume stalled Afghan peace talks in Oman
- 17.10.2017Iraq forces seize main govt HQ in Kirkuk: Police source
- 16.10.2017Arshad Al-Salihi: Kirkuk under control of Iraqi army and federal police
- 15.10.2017ISIL linked leader trapped, heavy Philippine fighting
- 15.10.2017Islamic State loses al-Mayadeen in eastern Syria
- 14.10.2017Tomahawks near the DPRK serious challenge to Pyongyang
- 14.10.2017Turkmen militia, Peshmerga clash in northern Iraq
- 14.10.2017‘Closer to the trigger’: North Korea renews promise to bomb Guam if attacked
- 14.10.2017UAE says fully supports new U.S. policy against Iran
- 13.10.2017US president’s anti-Iran speech pile of delusional claims: Rouhani
- 13.10.2017Small Quake Rattles North Korea Nuclear Testing Grounds, Not Manmade: South Korea
- 13.10.2017Turkish military convoy enters Syria's Idlib
- 12.10.2017Iraq refuses talks with Kurds unless they commit to unity
- 12.10.2017Israel starts preparations to withdraw from UNESCO
- 11.10.2017Rouhani: Nuclear deal 'big test' for parties
- 11.10.2017US flies bombers over Korean peninsula with South Korean, Japanese fighter jets
- 11.10.2017UN gearing up for heavy influx of Rohingya Muslim refugees
- 26.03.2016Afghan election chairman resigns
- 26.03.2016Thousands of Yemenis protest year-long coalition campaign
- 27.03.2016Tens of thousands protest Japanese PM’s plans to restart nuclear reactors
- 26.03.2016Iran leading advocate of int’l anti-cyber terrorism combat – Foreign Ministry
- 26.03.2016Air ambulance helicopter crashes in Iran, killing 7
- 25.03.2016Football pitch suicide attack kills 30 south of Baghdad - UPDATED