Hamas, Fatah delegations to meet in Qatar
Baku-APA. Delegations from rival Palestinian factions Hamas and Fatah will meet Saturday evening in Doha to discuss means of implementing a 2014 reconciliation agreement, leading Hamas member Ismail Radwan has said, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
"We hope to agree on a common vision with a view to applying the terms of the reconciliation deal," Radwan told Anadolu Agency.
According to Radwan, Mousa Abu Marzouk, a member of the group’s political bureau, will head up the Hamas delegation, while the Fatah delegation will be led by Azzam al-Ahmad, a member of Fatah’s central committee.
In press statements made last week, Khaled Meshaal, head of Hamas’ political bureau, said delegations from both groups planned to hold additional negotiations within the context of ongoing Qatar-hosted reconciliation talks.
Leading members of the two movements met last month in Doha to discuss mechanisms for implementing the reconciliation agreement and address the obstacles that have continued to hinder its application.
In an earlier statement, Hamas said that it and Fatah had reached a "common view for the practical implementation" of the 2014 reconciliation deal with a view to ending long-running differences between the two factions.
The group did not, however, disclose any further details.
In April of 2014, Hamas and Fatah signed a long-awaited reconciliation agreement that called for the formation of a Palestinian unity government tasked with overseeing Palestinian legislative and presidential polls.
Although the unity government was unveiled two months later, it has yet to take on a governing role in the Hamas-run Gaza Strip, while the relationship between the two factions remains beset by a host of longstanding differences.
Ali Abo Rezig contributed to this report
Related news releases
- 16.06.2018Turkey hits 'critical gathering' of PKK in north Iraq
- 16.06.2018Blast taints cease-fire in Afghanistan, 20 killed
- 15.06.2018Yemen gov’t forces take Al-Hudaydah’s southern entrance
- 14.06.2018Kashmiri journalist shot dead
- 14.06.2018Moon celebrates peace as Koreas hold military talks
- 13.06.2018Arab states launch biggest assault of Yemen war with attack on main port
- 13.06.2018Russian military seize arms cache in Syria’s Homs province
- 13.06.2018Iraq: Al-Sadr allies with Fatah to form majority group
- 12.06.2018Trump: North Korea sanctions will remain, but ‘war games’ to end
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim sign document following Singapore meeting
- 12.06.2018Ex-NBA star Rodman bursts in tears after historic Trump, Kim handshake
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim complete extended format talks - UPDATED-1
- 12.06.2018U.S. unveils de facto embassy in Taiwan amid China tensions
- 12.06.2018Trump says summit with North Korea's Kim is 'very, very good'
- 12.06.2018North Korea's Kim visits Singapore's sky bar, gardens in surprise evening tour
- 12.06.2018Kim set a deadline for ending summit, prompting earlier exit by Trump
- 12.06.2018Qatar sues United Arab Emirates at UN rights court
- 11.06.2018Former NBA star Rodman arrives in Singapore for Trump-Kim summit
- 11.06.2018Turkey launches anti-PKK ops in Qandil Mountains – Erdogan
- 11.06.2018Iran warns North Korea of US breach of promise
- 10.06.2018Frenchman commits suicide at Mecca - VİDEO
- 10.06.2018Terrorist cell smashed in Northwestern Iran
- 10.06.2018Kim Jong-un Departs for Singapore Summit
- 10.06.2018Civilians killed in Houthi shelling of Saudi Arabia’s Jaza
- 09.06.201814 PKK terrorists ‘neutralized’ in southeastern Turkey
- 09.06.2018Turkish soldier succumbs to injuries after PKK clash
- 09.06.2018Turkish forces 'deployed 30km inside' of northern Iraq
- 09.06.2018China accused of hacking, stealing US Navy plans
- 09.06.2018EU foreign policy chief cancels visit to Israel
- 08.06.2018Israeli troops kill four Palestinians as Gaza protest resumes
- 08.06.2018Saudi court sentences 4 to death over Iran espionage
- 07.06.2018At least 18 killed in Baghdad explosion
- 07.06.2018Sudan says it has cut all defence ties with North Korea
- 07.06.2018Iran to complete facility to build centrifuges in a month: TV
- 06.06.2018Clash erupts between PKK, Hashd al-Shaabi in Iraq
- 06.06.2018Iraqi forces kill 13 Daesh in capital's north
- 05.06.2018Khamenei says Iran set to boost enrichment capacity if nuclear deal founders
- 05.06.201813 Houthis killed in clashes with army in central Yemen
- 05.06.2018'Expat Syrians can return after Turkey-US Manbij deal'
- 05.06.2018Khamenei says curbing Iran's missile program a 'dream that will never come true'
- 26.03.2016Afghan election chairman resigns
- 26.03.2016Thousands of Yemenis protest year-long coalition campaign
- 27.03.2016Tens of thousands protest Japanese PM’s plans to restart nuclear reactors
- 26.03.2016Iran leading advocate of int’l anti-cyber terrorism combat – Foreign Ministry
- 26.03.2016Air ambulance helicopter crashes in Iran, killing 7
- 25.03.2016Football pitch suicide attack kills 30 south of Baghdad - UPDATED