Hamas, Fatah delegations to meet in Qatar
Baku-APA. Delegations from rival Palestinian factions Hamas and Fatah will meet Saturday evening in Doha to discuss means of implementing a 2014 reconciliation agreement, leading Hamas member Ismail Radwan has said, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
"We hope to agree on a common vision with a view to applying the terms of the reconciliation deal," Radwan told Anadolu Agency.
According to Radwan, Mousa Abu Marzouk, a member of the group’s political bureau, will head up the Hamas delegation, while the Fatah delegation will be led by Azzam al-Ahmad, a member of Fatah’s central committee.
In press statements made last week, Khaled Meshaal, head of Hamas’ political bureau, said delegations from both groups planned to hold additional negotiations within the context of ongoing Qatar-hosted reconciliation talks.
Leading members of the two movements met last month in Doha to discuss mechanisms for implementing the reconciliation agreement and address the obstacles that have continued to hinder its application.
In an earlier statement, Hamas said that it and Fatah had reached a "common view for the practical implementation" of the 2014 reconciliation deal with a view to ending long-running differences between the two factions.
The group did not, however, disclose any further details.
In April of 2014, Hamas and Fatah signed a long-awaited reconciliation agreement that called for the formation of a Palestinian unity government tasked with overseeing Palestinian legislative and presidential polls.
Although the unity government was unveiled two months later, it has yet to take on a governing role in the Hamas-run Gaza Strip, while the relationship between the two factions remains beset by a host of longstanding differences.
Ali Abo Rezig contributed to this report
Related news releases
- 14.12.2017North Korea shows no sign it is serious about talking: U.S. official
- 14.12.2017Israel puts Gaza border on lockdown over security concerns
- 14.12.2017Syrian opposition discusses electoral process with UN
- 14.12.20172 Daesh militants killed in Iraq’s Kirkuk
- 13.12.2017Iran’s Rouhani urges every possible means to avert US move on Holy Quds
- 13.12.2017Palestinian president urges world not to recognize Israeli state
- 13.12.2017North Korea's Kim Jong Un fetes rocket scientists, promises more weapons
- 13.12.20176.1 earthquake strikes eastern Iran
- 13.12.2017Yemeni PM accuses Houthis of subservience to Tehran
- 12.12.2017Russia withdraws diplomats from Yemen's Sanaa
- 12.12.2017Hamas announces beginning of third intifada against US decision on Jerusalem
- 12.12.2017EU tells Netanyahu it rejects Trump's Jerusalem move
- 12.12.2017Hezbollah's Nasrallah says group to focus on Israel
- 11.12.20176-magnitude earthquake rattles western Iran
- 11.12.20176-magnitude earthquake hits Iran
- 11.12.2017Putin orders Russian forces pullout from Syria
- 11.12.2017Putin visits Russia’s Hmeymim air base in Syria
- 10.12.2017Lebanon’s FM: "Arab nations should consider imposing economic sanctions against the United States"
- 10.12.2017Arab states urge U.S. to abandon Jerusalem move
- 10.12.2017South Korea's Hyundai says faces headwinds from weaker yen next year
- 10.12.2017Palestinian President Abbas won't meet Pence in region: foreign minister
- 10.12.2017Iraq and Iran sign Kirkuk oil swap deal
- 09.12.2017Turkey, Iran security cooperation ‘vital’ for region
- 09.12.20172 dead, 7 buried in debris after chemical plant explosion in east China
- 09.12.2017Iraq declares war with Islamic State is over
- 09.12.2017Two dead in 'Day of Rage' over Jerusalem, Palestinian president defiant
- 09.12.2017Airstrikes kill 5 civilians in Syria
- 09.12.2017Palestinian negotiator says 'no talking' with U.S. until Trump reverses Jerusalem decision: Al Jazeera
- 09.12.2017At least 25 wounded in Israeli retaliation strikes in Gaza
- 08.12.2017Israeli servicemen down rocket fired from Gaza Strip
- 08.12.2017Two hikers dead, 7 missing in Iran avalanche
- 08.12.2017Clashes erupt in West Bank, East Jerusalem between Palestinian protesters and Israeli troops
- 08.12.20171 killed, 8 wounded in eastern Afghan mosque blast
- 08.12.2017Israel strikes Gaza, no injured
- 07.12.2017Erdogan, Putin to discuss US Jerusalem
- 07.12.2017Senior North Korean diplomat meets U.N. political affairs chief
- 07.12.2017Trump declaration on Jerusalem destroys two-state solution - PLO
- 07.12.2017Palestine, Egypt confer after US decision on Jerusalem
- 06.12.2017Iranian FM: Littoral States agree on bulk of Caspian legal regime
- 06.12.2017Europe fears attacks by returning Daesh fighters
- 26.03.2016Afghan election chairman resigns
- 26.03.2016Thousands of Yemenis protest year-long coalition campaign
- 27.03.2016Tens of thousands protest Japanese PM’s plans to restart nuclear reactors
- 26.03.2016Iran leading advocate of int’l anti-cyber terrorism combat – Foreign Ministry
- 26.03.2016Air ambulance helicopter crashes in Iran, killing 7
- 25.03.2016Football pitch suicide attack kills 30 south of Baghdad - UPDATED