Hamas, Fatah delegations to meet in Qatar
Baku-APA. Delegations from rival Palestinian factions Hamas and Fatah will meet Saturday evening in Doha to discuss means of implementing a 2014 reconciliation agreement, leading Hamas member Ismail Radwan has said, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
"We hope to agree on a common vision with a view to applying the terms of the reconciliation deal," Radwan told Anadolu Agency.
According to Radwan, Mousa Abu Marzouk, a member of the group’s political bureau, will head up the Hamas delegation, while the Fatah delegation will be led by Azzam al-Ahmad, a member of Fatah’s central committee.
In press statements made last week, Khaled Meshaal, head of Hamas’ political bureau, said delegations from both groups planned to hold additional negotiations within the context of ongoing Qatar-hosted reconciliation talks.
Leading members of the two movements met last month in Doha to discuss mechanisms for implementing the reconciliation agreement and address the obstacles that have continued to hinder its application.
In an earlier statement, Hamas said that it and Fatah had reached a "common view for the practical implementation" of the 2014 reconciliation deal with a view to ending long-running differences between the two factions.
The group did not, however, disclose any further details.
In April of 2014, Hamas and Fatah signed a long-awaited reconciliation agreement that called for the formation of a Palestinian unity government tasked with overseeing Palestinian legislative and presidential polls.
Although the unity government was unveiled two months later, it has yet to take on a governing role in the Hamas-run Gaza Strip, while the relationship between the two factions remains beset by a host of longstanding differences.
Ali Abo Rezig contributed to this report
Related news releases
- 21.02.2018Talks between Erbil, Baghdad reach final stages: PM
- 20.02.2018Russian Center for Syrian Reconciliation comes under massive fire
- 20.02.2018Palestine ready to exchange minor territories with Israel - Abbas
- 20.02.2018Turkish President: Syrian forces tried to enter Afrin, retreated after Turkey's shelling
- 20.02.2018YPG/PKK-Daesh terror groups shell Turkey's south Hatay
- 20.02.2018Maldives leader seeks approval to extend state of emergency
- 19.02.2018Three Iranian police killed in clashes with Sufi protesters
- 19.02.2018Islamic State kills 27 Iraqi militiamen near Kirkuk
- 19.02.2018Israel, Egypt sign $15bn natural gas purchase agreement
- 19.02.2018Kurdish region flight ban to be lifted soon: Iraqi PM
- 18.02.2018Daesh doesn’t represent Islam: Iraqi PM
- 18.02.20182 Turkish soldiers martyred, one injured in operations
- 17.02.2018Turkish, Iraqi PMs stress cooperation against terrorism
- 17.02.20184 Israeli troops injured by explosive device near Gaza
- 17.02.2018Turkish PM: 'We have given terrorist organizations the Ottoman slap'
- 16.02.2018PYD/PKK terrorist admits to posing as civilian
- 16.02.20187 Turkish soldiers injured in Operation Olive Branch
- 15.02.2018Indonesia charges Daesh-linked group for deadly bombing
- 15.02.2018Lebanese PM rule out Hezbollah alliance in May election
- 15.02.2018US secretary of state meets with Jordan king in Amman
- 14.02.2018Knesset rejects bill recognizing so-called Armenian Genocide
- 14.02.2018No cases of human infection with H5N6 bird flu reported in Iran – official
- 14.02.2018Over 20 undocumented migrants held in Turkey
- 14.02.2018Turkey's president speaks to Saudi counterpart
- 14.02.2018Taliban confirms senior leader killed by US air strike
- 14.02.2018İraqi Turkmen Front officer attacked in Kirkuk
- 13.02.2018Cyclone wreaks havoc in Tonga's capital, parliament flattened, homes wrecked
- 13.02.2018Russians killed in clash with U.S.-led forces in Syria, say associates
- 12.02.2018Israel's Netanyahu says discussing settlement annexation with U.S.
- 11.02.2018Netanyahu speaks to Russia’s Putin about Iran
- 11.02.2018Putin Urges Netanyahu to Avoid Escalation in Syria
- 10.02.201811 Turkish soldiers killed, 11 injured in Afrin - UPDATED
- 10.02.2018Hundreds protesting in Seoul against N. Korea's participation in Olympic
- 10.02.201815 PYD/PKK, Daesh terrorists neutralized in Afrin
- 10.02.2018Hong Kong bus overturns killing 18
- 10.02.201848 Daesh-linked suspects arrested across Turkey
- 10.02.201827 reported dead in bus crash in Indonesia
- 10.02.20182 Turkish pilots martyred in Syria helicopter crash
- 10.02.2018Turkish military, Free Syrian Army free another village
- 10.02.2018North Korea's Kim Jong-un invites South Korean president to Pyongyang
- 26.03.2016Afghan election chairman resigns
- 26.03.2016Thousands of Yemenis protest year-long coalition campaign
- 27.03.2016Tens of thousands protest Japanese PM’s plans to restart nuclear reactors
- 26.03.2016Iran leading advocate of int’l anti-cyber terrorism combat – Foreign Ministry
- 26.03.2016Air ambulance helicopter crashes in Iran, killing 7
- 25.03.2016Football pitch suicide attack kills 30 south of Baghdad - UPDATED