Four protesters killed, dozens injured in south eastern Nepal
Four protesters were killed and other three dozens injured when police opened fire against hundreds of cadres from the Madhes-based ethnic parties who were trying to disrupt a political rally in south eastern Nepal bordering India on Monday, local media reports said quoting government officials, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
The police personnel opened fire against the protesters when they attempted to interrupt the peaceful political rally organized by Communist Party of Nepal (United Marxist Leninist) at Rajbiraj town of Saptari District bordering India, reports said.
While confirming deaths of four protesters, Home Ministry Spokesman Balkrishna Panthi said that security personnel tried to disperse the protesters with bamboo batons and tear gas before firing their guns.
The CPN (UML), the second largest party in the Parliament, was attempting to hold a rally in Rajbiraj town, about 450 kilometers of Capital City Kathmandu, when the cadres from the Madhes-based parties attacked the rally.
Dozens of other injured have been receiving treatment at local hospitals, the police said.
Meanwhile, the Madhes-based ethnic parties, who have been launching anti-constitution protests for one and half years, announced to launch strike in Madesh region against the killing of those four protestors, party leaders said.
The Madhes-based ethnic parties have been demanding second amendment in the Constitution to ensure more political representation in state bodies, delimitation of constituencies, fresh demarcation of federal boundaries so that the stretch in the Terai from east to west falls within two Madhes provinces and amendments in citizenship laws.
However, rounds of talks between the Nepali government and agitating Madhes-based parties have not yielded any positive results toward ending the unrest in the region.
Related news releases
- 26.04.2017The United States received a notice from Turkey an hour before operation in Syria and Iraq
- 26.04.2017Turkish jets kill senior PKK member in northern Iraq
- 25.04.2017Ankara court sentences 24 to life for killing Kurdish teen
- 24.04.201726 paramilitary personnel killed in central India
- 24.04.2017Philippines: 36 Maute terrorists killed in clashes
- 24.04.2017Suspected Maoist rebels kill 24 troops in Chhattisgarh
- 24.04.2017Iran to open polls in Azerbaijan for May 19 presidential election
- 23.04.2017Magnitude 5.3 earthquake hits Philippines
- 23.04.2017Saudi king restores civil service and military allowances
- 22.04.2017Turkey condemns terror attack on Afghan army
- 22.04.2017Five killed in road accident in southern Philippines
- 22.04.2017Terrorists launch mortar attack in Damascus
- 22.04.2017Taliban kill '140' troops in Afghan base attack
- 22.04.2017At least 8 killed in eastern India in fighting over control for sandpits
- 21.04.2017U.S. forces kill Islamic State militant linked to Turkey nightclub attack
- 21.04.2017Taliban inflict more than 50 Afghan casualties in base attack, U.S. says - UPDATED
- 21.04.2017İSİL claims responsibility for Paris shooting
- 21.04.2017EU says ready to welcome back UK if it decides to stay
- 20.04.2017Russian officer killed in militant attack on Syrian Army Base - UPDATED
- 20.04.2017Syrian President: "Reports about capture of ISIL leader Baghdadi not true"
- 20.04.2017Pakistan court: Insufficient evidence to remove Sharif
- 20.04.2017Bus-truck collision leaves 11 dead in Iran
- 20.04.2017North Korea says 'don't mess with us' as U.S. plans next move
- 20.04.2017Syria chemical attack undeniable, says OPCW chief
- 20.04.2017At Least 3 Al-Qaeda Militants Killed in Airstrikes in Southern Afghanistan
- 20.04.2017Tillerson: Iran nuclear agreement fails to achieve objectives
- 19.04.2017Iraqi army says third of old western Mosul retaken
- 19.04.2017Australian advisers caught in Mosul chemical attack
- 19.04.2017Pentagon might try to shoot down Pyongyang’s next missile test
- 18.04.2017Daesh car-bomb attack kills 16 in W. Mosul: Iraqi army
- 18.04.2017Iranian president criticizes IRGC for interfering country’s economic affairs
- 18.04.2017285 killed during Myanmar’s water festival
- 18.04.2017Japan may consider deploying troops in case of DPRK missile fall in its waters
- 18.04.2017Hardline Hindu youth call the shots on streets of northern India
- 17.04.2017US and South Korea agree 'early' deployment of THAAD missile defence system
- 16.04.2017Death toll in Syrian blast rises 100 - UPDATED
- 16.04.2017Ahmadinejad: "Iran has nothing to fear from US"
- 16.04.2017N Korea missile launch fails, says South Korea
- 16.04.2017PKK terrorists attack AK Party bus in Van
- 16.04.2017South Koreans, Japanese Remain Calm as US, North Korea Posture
- 25.10.2011LUKoil starts exploration drilling in Iraq
- 26.10.2011Talks with NKorea ’very positive’: US envoy
- 26.10.2011Yemen president calls in US ambassador
- 25.10.2011Netanyahu offers condolences to Erdogan
- 25.10.2011Israel to free 25 Egyptian prisoners for suspected spy
- 25.10.2011Iran sends aid to earthquake-hit Turkey