Four protesters killed, dozens injured in south eastern Nepal
Four protesters were killed and other three dozens injured when police opened fire against hundreds of cadres from the Madhes-based ethnic parties who were trying to disrupt a political rally in south eastern Nepal bordering India on Monday, local media reports said quoting government officials, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
The police personnel opened fire against the protesters when they attempted to interrupt the peaceful political rally organized by Communist Party of Nepal (United Marxist Leninist) at Rajbiraj town of Saptari District bordering India, reports said.
While confirming deaths of four protesters, Home Ministry Spokesman Balkrishna Panthi said that security personnel tried to disperse the protesters with bamboo batons and tear gas before firing their guns.
The CPN (UML), the second largest party in the Parliament, was attempting to hold a rally in Rajbiraj town, about 450 kilometers of Capital City Kathmandu, when the cadres from the Madhes-based parties attacked the rally.
Dozens of other injured have been receiving treatment at local hospitals, the police said.
Meanwhile, the Madhes-based ethnic parties, who have been launching anti-constitution protests for one and half years, announced to launch strike in Madesh region against the killing of those four protestors, party leaders said.
The Madhes-based ethnic parties have been demanding second amendment in the Constitution to ensure more political representation in state bodies, delimitation of constituencies, fresh demarcation of federal boundaries so that the stretch in the Terai from east to west falls within two Madhes provinces and amendments in citizenship laws.
However, rounds of talks between the Nepali government and agitating Madhes-based parties have not yielded any positive results toward ending the unrest in the region.
Related news releases
- 23.05.2017US forces killed seven al-Qaeda militants during raid in Yemen
- 23.05.2017Trump says concerns about Iran driving Israel, Arab states closer
- 23.05.2017North Korea says missile ready for mass production, U.S. questions progress
- 23.05.2017South Korea says Pyongyang’s new missile not capable of reaching US territory
- 23.05.2017Coalition raid kills Daesh militants in Iraq’s W. Mosul
- 23.05.2017Cholera death toll in Yemen rises to 350
- 22.05.2017Turkish military kills 4 PKK terrorists in N. Iraq
- 22.05.2017Rouhani says regional stability impossible without Iran
- 22.05.2017Trump: 'Iran will never have a nuclear weapon'
- 22.05.2017Cholera outbreak claims 315 lives in Yemen
- 22.05.2017Tehran slams Trump’s speech in Saudi Arabia
- 21.05.20174 suspected Baloch separatists killed in SW Pakistan
- 20.05.2017Indian court acquits Muslim scholar in train blast case
- 20.05.2017US, Saudi Arabia sign $110B arms deal amid Trump visit
- 20.05.2017Hassan Rouhani says Iran wants interaction with the world
- 20.05.20176 dead as armed militants storm bank in Afghanistan
- 20.05.2017Iranian Interior Ministry: Hassan Rouhani wins presidential elections
- 20.05.2017Trump arrives in Saudi Arabia in first foreign trip
- 20.05.2017Hassan Rouhani re-elected as Iranian president
- 20.05.2017Magnitude 5.9 quake strikes off Philippines
- 20.05.2017At least 13 killed in Iraq car bombings
- 20.05.2017Rouhani leads Iran presidential race, expected to win: source
- 20.05.2017North Korea's UN envoy slams 'hostile' US policy
- 20.05.20173 Iraqi soldiers killed in southern Basra city
- 20.05.2017Polls close in Iran presidential election
- 19.05.2017Landmine blast claims 11 lives in Afghanistan
- 19.05.2017Iran presidential election: Voting time extended 2 hours
- 19.05.2017Two dead, several missing as bridge collapses in India
- 19.05.2017Iran’s first VP urges respect for election results
- 19.05.20175 ISIL suspects arrested in Istanbul
- 18.05.2017ISIL attacks Syrian Deir ez-Zor with rockets, kill 3 civilians
- 18.05.2017US coalition strike on Syrian army occurred within established Safe Zone
- 17.05.2017Pakistan protests with UN team over Indian shelling
- 17.05.2017Workers trapped after methane gas explosion in Turkey
- 17.05.2017Pyongyang developing missiles faster than Seoul expected
- 17.05.2017OPEC suffers decline in export revenues: EIA
- 16.05.2017Death toll from China truck-bus crash rises to 12
- 15.05.2017North Korea vows missile tests 'any time, any place', defying U.S. warnings
- 15.05.2017Iraq’s al-Sadr urges Tehran, Riyadh to engage in talks
- 14.05.2017Suspected ransomware attack at southeast Ireland's healthcare facility
- 07.03.20175 traffic police, 5 civilians killed in renewed fighting in Myanmar
- 07.03.2017U.S. starts deploying THAAD system in South Korea after North Korea missile test
- 07.03.2017North Korea says temporarily bans Malaysians from leaving the country
- 06.03.2017One more Russian serviceman reported dead in Syria
- 05.03.2017Bahrain discovers terrorist cell of 54 members
- 05.03.2017Jordan executes 15 prisoners, 10 convicted of terrorism