Four protesters killed, dozens injured in south eastern Nepal
Four protesters were killed and other three dozens injured when police opened fire against hundreds of cadres from the Madhes-based ethnic parties who were trying to disrupt a political rally in south eastern Nepal bordering India on Monday, local media reports said quoting government officials, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
The police personnel opened fire against the protesters when they attempted to interrupt the peaceful political rally organized by Communist Party of Nepal (United Marxist Leninist) at Rajbiraj town of Saptari District bordering India, reports said.
While confirming deaths of four protesters, Home Ministry Spokesman Balkrishna Panthi said that security personnel tried to disperse the protesters with bamboo batons and tear gas before firing their guns.
The CPN (UML), the second largest party in the Parliament, was attempting to hold a rally in Rajbiraj town, about 450 kilometers of Capital City Kathmandu, when the cadres from the Madhes-based parties attacked the rally.
Dozens of other injured have been receiving treatment at local hospitals, the police said.
Meanwhile, the Madhes-based ethnic parties, who have been launching anti-constitution protests for one and half years, announced to launch strike in Madesh region against the killing of those four protestors, party leaders said.
The Madhes-based ethnic parties have been demanding second amendment in the Constitution to ensure more political representation in state bodies, delimitation of constituencies, fresh demarcation of federal boundaries so that the stretch in the Terai from east to west falls within two Madhes provinces and amendments in citizenship laws.
However, rounds of talks between the Nepali government and agitating Madhes-based parties have not yielded any positive results toward ending the unrest in the region.
Related news releases
- 19.06.2018MERS kills scores in Saudi Arabia
- 19.06.2018North Korea's Kim in China; U.S., South Korea suspend military drill
- 19.06.2018US, Turkey start patrols in Manbij
- 19.06.2018Jordan’s king, Israeli PM hold discussions in Amman
- 18.06.2018Six Iraqis killed in Daesh ambush near Mosul: Official
- 18.06.2018US airstrikes kill 22 Hashd al-Shaabi fighters in Iraq
- 18.06.2018Turkish soldiers enter outer districts of north Syria's Manbij
- 16.06.2018Turkey hits 'critical gathering' of PKK in north Iraq
- 16.06.2018Blast taints cease-fire in Afghanistan, 20 killed
- 15.06.2018Yemen gov’t forces take Al-Hudaydah’s southern entrance
- 14.06.2018Kashmiri journalist shot dead
- 14.06.2018Moon celebrates peace as Koreas hold military talks
- 13.06.2018Arab states launch biggest assault of Yemen war with attack on main port
- 13.06.2018Russian military seize arms cache in Syria’s Homs province
- 13.06.2018Iraq: Al-Sadr allies with Fatah to form majority group
- 12.06.2018Trump: North Korea sanctions will remain, but ‘war games’ to end
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim sign document following Singapore meeting
- 12.06.2018Ex-NBA star Rodman bursts in tears after historic Trump, Kim handshake
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim complete extended format talks - UPDATED-1
- 12.06.2018U.S. unveils de facto embassy in Taiwan amid China tensions
- 12.06.2018Trump says summit with North Korea's Kim is 'very, very good'
- 12.06.2018North Korea's Kim visits Singapore's sky bar, gardens in surprise evening tour
- 12.06.2018Kim set a deadline for ending summit, prompting earlier exit by Trump
- 12.06.2018Qatar sues United Arab Emirates at UN rights court
- 11.06.2018Former NBA star Rodman arrives in Singapore for Trump-Kim summit
- 11.06.2018Turkey launches anti-PKK ops in Qandil Mountains – Erdogan
- 11.06.2018Iran warns North Korea of US breach of promise
- 10.06.2018Frenchman commits suicide at Mecca - VİDEO
- 10.06.2018Terrorist cell smashed in Northwestern Iran
- 10.06.2018Kim Jong-un Departs for Singapore Summit
- 10.06.2018Civilians killed in Houthi shelling of Saudi Arabia’s Jaza
- 09.06.201814 PKK terrorists ‘neutralized’ in southeastern Turkey
- 09.06.2018Turkish soldier succumbs to injuries after PKK clash
- 09.06.2018Turkish forces 'deployed 30km inside' of northern Iraq
- 09.06.2018China accused of hacking, stealing US Navy plans
- 09.06.2018EU foreign policy chief cancels visit to Israel
- 08.06.2018Israeli troops kill four Palestinians as Gaza protest resumes
- 08.06.2018Saudi court sentences 4 to death over Iran espionage
- 07.06.2018At least 18 killed in Baghdad explosion
- 07.06.2018Sudan says it has cut all defence ties with North Korea
- 07.03.20175 traffic police, 5 civilians killed in renewed fighting in Myanmar
- 07.03.2017U.S. starts deploying THAAD system in South Korea after North Korea missile test
- 07.03.2017North Korea says temporarily bans Malaysians from leaving the country
- 06.03.2017One more Russian serviceman reported dead in Syria
- 05.03.2017Bahrain discovers terrorist cell of 54 members
- 05.03.2017Jordan executes 15 prisoners, 10 convicted of terrorism