Former minister elected as new vice president of India
Former Indian Minister M. Venkaiah Naidu was Saturday elected as the country's new vice president, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
Naidu defeated the united opposition candidate Gopal Krishna Gandhi, the grandson of pre-independence icon Mahatma Gandhi and former state Governor, by a huge margin of 272 votes.
Naidu, who had earlier served as Indian Urban Development Minister, bagged 516 votes as against 244 by Gandhi.
"I promise to uphold the Constitution and the high standards set by my esteemed predecessors," he tweeted.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi also took to Twitter to greet him.
"Congratulations to @MVenkaiahNaidu Garu on being elected India's Vice President. My best wishes for a fruitful & motivating tenure," Modi wrote.
Naidu will be sworn in as India's new Vice President on Aug. 10 when incumbent Vice President Hamid Ansari's second five-year term expires.
Members of both Houses of Parliament -- Lok Sabha (the Lower House) and Rajya Sabha (the Upper House) voted throughout the day to elect the vice president through secret ballots.
Related news releases
- 13.12.2017Iran’s Rouhani urges every possible means to avert US move on Holy Quds
- 13.12.2017Palestinian president urges world not to recognize Israeli state
- 13.12.2017North Korea's Kim Jong Un fetes rocket scientists, promises more weapons
- 13.12.20176.1 earthquake strikes eastern Iran
- 12.12.2017Russia withdraws diplomats from Yemen's Sanaa
- 12.12.2017Hamas announces beginning of third intifada against US decision on Jerusalem
- 12.12.2017EU tells Netanyahu it rejects Trump's Jerusalem move
- 12.12.2017Hezbollah's Nasrallah says group to focus on Israel
- 11.12.20176-magnitude earthquake rattles western Iran
- 11.12.20176-magnitude earthquake hits Iran
- 11.12.2017Putin orders Russian forces pullout from Syria
- 11.12.2017Putin visits Russia’s Hmeymim air base in Syria
- 10.12.2017Lebanon’s FM: "Arab nations should consider imposing economic sanctions against the United States"
- 10.12.2017Arab states urge U.S. to abandon Jerusalem move
- 10.12.2017South Korea's Hyundai says faces headwinds from weaker yen next year
- 10.12.2017Palestinian President Abbas won't meet Pence in region: foreign minister
- 10.12.2017Iraq and Iran sign Kirkuk oil swap deal
- 09.12.2017Turkey, Iran security cooperation ‘vital’ for region
- 09.12.20172 dead, 7 buried in debris after chemical plant explosion in east China
- 09.12.2017Iraq declares war with Islamic State is over
- 09.12.2017Two dead in 'Day of Rage' over Jerusalem, Palestinian president defiant
- 09.12.2017Airstrikes kill 5 civilians in Syria
- 09.12.2017Palestinian negotiator says 'no talking' with U.S. until Trump reverses Jerusalem decision: Al Jazeera
- 09.12.2017At least 25 wounded in Israeli retaliation strikes in Gaza
- 08.12.2017Israeli servicemen down rocket fired from Gaza Strip
- 08.12.2017Two hikers dead, 7 missing in Iran avalanche
- 08.12.2017Clashes erupt in West Bank, East Jerusalem between Palestinian protesters and Israeli troops
- 08.12.20171 killed, 8 wounded in eastern Afghan mosque blast
- 08.12.2017Israel strikes Gaza, no injured
- 07.12.2017Erdogan, Putin to discuss US Jerusalem
- 07.12.2017Senior North Korean diplomat meets U.N. political affairs chief
- 07.12.2017Trump declaration on Jerusalem destroys two-state solution - PLO
- 07.12.2017Palestine, Egypt confer after US decision on Jerusalem
- 06.12.2017Iranian FM: Littoral States agree on bulk of Caspian legal regime
- 06.12.2017Europe fears attacks by returning Daesh fighters
- 05.12.2017Roadside bomb targeting military vehicle kills 6 in North Waziristan, Pakistan
- 05.12.2017Iranian soldier killed in attack near Turkish border
- 05.12.2017South Korea, U.S. launch air drills amid North Korean warnings of nuclear war
- 05.12.2017U.N. political affairs chief to visit North Korea this week
- 05.12.2017US defense secretary meets Pakistan’s prime minister
- 06.08.2017Rouhani warns US against 'political suicide'
- 06.08.2017Clandestine Isis unit training Britons to launch attacks on UK
- 07.08.2017India kills '5 militants' along Kashmir de facto border
- 05.08.201743 civilians killed in U.S.-led airstrikes in Syria's Raqqa
- 05.08.2017US’ Tillerson arrives in Philippines for ASEAN Forum
- 05.08.2017Magnitude 5.8 quake hits Philippines