Former minister elected as new vice president of India
Former Indian Minister M. Venkaiah Naidu was Saturday elected as the country's new vice president, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
Naidu defeated the united opposition candidate Gopal Krishna Gandhi, the grandson of pre-independence icon Mahatma Gandhi and former state Governor, by a huge margin of 272 votes.
Naidu, who had earlier served as Indian Urban Development Minister, bagged 516 votes as against 244 by Gandhi.
"I promise to uphold the Constitution and the high standards set by my esteemed predecessors," he tweeted.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi also took to Twitter to greet him.
"Congratulations to @MVenkaiahNaidu Garu on being elected India's Vice President. My best wishes for a fruitful & motivating tenure," Modi wrote.
Naidu will be sworn in as India's new Vice President on Aug. 10 when incumbent Vice President Hamid Ansari's second five-year term expires.
Members of both Houses of Parliament -- Lok Sabha (the Lower House) and Rajya Sabha (the Upper House) voted throughout the day to elect the vice president through secret ballots.
Related news releases
- 17.07.2018Women in Saudi Arabia Will Soon Be Able to Train as Pilots
- 17.07.2018Iran ready to boost uranium enrichment if talks with EU fail - Official
- 17.07.2018Protests in Iraq leave 5 dead, 190 injured
- 17.07.2018Syrian army says it captures strategic hill overlooking Israeli border
- 15.07.2018Indonesian police shoot dead three suspected militants
- 15.07.2018Rouhani: "The US ‘more isolated than ever’ over Iran sanctions"
- 14.07.2018At least 10 killed by landslide in northern Myanmar
- 14.07.2018Velayati: Russia wants to create joint electrical grid with Iran, Azerbaijan
- 14.07.2018China floods wreak havoc, block roads and railways
- 14.07.2018Palestinian teenager killed in Israel-Gaza border protests
- 13.07.2018Suicide bomber kills 128 in attack on Pakistani election rally
- 13.07.2018Former Pakistani premier Sharif arrested in Lahore
- 13.07.2018Indian planes carrying more than 300 people avoid mid-air collision by 200 feet
- 12.07.2018FBI Presents New Details on Lead Up to Saddam Hussein's Interrogation
- 12.07.2018Kim Jong-un: "Extraordinary efforts' made by Trump for improving US-N Korea ties
- 11.07.2018Iran Supreme Leader's aide hails 'strategic' ties with Russia before Putin talks
- 11.07.201812 killed in election rally in NW Pakistan
- 10.07.2018Death toll in Japan flood disaster rises to 156
- 10.07.2018Last remaining kid, coach evacuated from Thai cave - media
- 10.07.2018At least 140 dead after heavy rain and landslides in Japan
- 09.07.2018Death toll rises to 126 in W. Japan after flood, rain
- 08.07.2018Japan floods and heavy rain leave at least 41 dead, dozens missing - UPDATED
- 07.07.2018North Korea regrets US stance at talks
- 07.07.2018Iran calls for EU help as shipping giant pulls out for fear of U.S. sanctions
- 07.07.2018Insider attack in S. Afghanistan kills 1 US serviceman, injures 2 others - NATO - UPDATED
- 07.07.2018Indian army kills 3 civilians in southern Kashmir
- 07.07.2018Both sides seek to 'clarify' as Pompeo holds second day of North Korea talks
- 07.07.2018No breakthrough in nuclear talks as Iran demands more after U.S. exit
- 07.07.2018Israeli air strike hits Syria at Golan frontier
- 07.07.2018Palestinian killed as Gaza protests against Israel enter fourth month
- 07.07.2018Second Saudi teen kills self after playing online game
- 06.07.2018Iranian leader describes EU proposals to save JCPOA as ‘disappointing’
- 05.07.2018German Coalition parties reach deal on Migration
- 05.07.2018Iranian FM summons German, French, Belgian diplomats
- 05.07.2018Pakistani court sends fake degree mill owner to jail
- 04.07.2018Iraq urges world countries to repatriate Islamic State children
- 04.07.20184.3-magnitude earthquake hits southern Iran
- 02.07.2018Thai rescue teams find 13 missing in cave alive
- 02.07.20184 PKK terrorists neutralized in SE Turkey
- 01.07.2018Three settlements in Syria’s southwest de-escalation zone join ceasefire
- 06.08.2017Rouhani warns US against 'political suicide'
- 06.08.2017Clandestine Isis unit training Britons to launch attacks on UK
- 07.08.2017India kills '5 militants' along Kashmir de facto border
- 05.08.201743 civilians killed in U.S.-led airstrikes in Syria's Raqqa
- 05.08.2017US’ Tillerson arrives in Philippines for ASEAN Forum
- 05.08.2017Magnitude 5.8 quake hits Philippines