Former minister elected as new vice president of India
Former Indian Minister M. Venkaiah Naidu was Saturday elected as the country's new vice president, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
Naidu defeated the united opposition candidate Gopal Krishna Gandhi, the grandson of pre-independence icon Mahatma Gandhi and former state Governor, by a huge margin of 272 votes.
Naidu, who had earlier served as Indian Urban Development Minister, bagged 516 votes as against 244 by Gandhi.
"I promise to uphold the Constitution and the high standards set by my esteemed predecessors," he tweeted.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi also took to Twitter to greet him.
"Congratulations to @MVenkaiahNaidu Garu on being elected India's Vice President. My best wishes for a fruitful & motivating tenure," Modi wrote.
Naidu will be sworn in as India's new Vice President on Aug. 10 when incumbent Vice President Hamid Ansari's second five-year term expires.
Members of both Houses of Parliament -- Lok Sabha (the Lower House) and Rajya Sabha (the Upper House) voted throughout the day to elect the vice president through secret ballots.
Related news releases
- 25.02.2018Turkey welcomes UNSC decision for cease-fire in Syria
- 25.02.20181 terrorist killed, 11 others arrested in SW Pakistan
- 25.02.2018Iraq needs S-400 air defense systems to defend against air attacks — MP
- 25.02.2018Saakashvili's Supporters Protest Near Ukraine's Chief Prosecutor's House
- 24.02.2018UN SC unanimously adopts resolution on 30-day ceasefire in Syria
- 24.02.2018Speeding vehicle kills 9 schoolchildren in İndia
- 24.02.2018Dozens killed in 2 car bombings in Yemen's Aden
- 24.02.2018South Korea says U.S. sanctions on North will bolster U.N. resolutions
- 22.02.2018Lavrov: Russia will consider ceasefire in Syria
- 22.02.2018N Korea calls US-Japan missile drills provocation against Intra-Korean Dialogue
- 22.02.2018Over 400 undocumented migrants held across Turkey
- 22.02.2018Ziyad Sabsabi: "There are about 15 children who lost their parents in Iraq"
- 22.02.2018North Korea canceled planned meeting with Pence
- 21.02.2018North Korea cancelled talks with US Vice President
- 21.02.2018Talks between Erbil, Baghdad reach final stages: PM
- 20.02.2018Russian Center for Syrian Reconciliation comes under massive fire
- 20.02.2018Palestine ready to exchange minor territories with Israel - Abbas
- 20.02.2018Turkish President: Syrian forces tried to enter Afrin, retreated after Turkey's shelling
- 20.02.2018YPG/PKK-Daesh terror groups shell Turkey's south Hatay
- 20.02.2018Maldives leader seeks approval to extend state of emergency
- 19.02.2018Three Iranian police killed in clashes with Sufi protesters
- 19.02.2018Islamic State kills 27 Iraqi militiamen near Kirkuk
- 19.02.2018Israel, Egypt sign $15bn natural gas purchase agreement
- 19.02.2018Kurdish region flight ban to be lifted soon: Iraqi PM
- 18.02.2018Daesh doesn’t represent Islam: Iraqi PM
- 18.02.20182 Turkish soldiers martyred, one injured in operations
- 17.02.2018Turkish, Iraqi PMs stress cooperation against terrorism
- 17.02.20184 Israeli troops injured by explosive device near Gaza
- 17.02.2018Turkish PM: 'We have given terrorist organizations the Ottoman slap'
- 16.02.2018PYD/PKK terrorist admits to posing as civilian
- 16.02.20187 Turkish soldiers injured in Operation Olive Branch
- 15.02.2018Indonesia charges Daesh-linked group for deadly bombing
- 15.02.2018Lebanese PM rule out Hezbollah alliance in May election
- 15.02.2018US secretary of state meets with Jordan king in Amman
- 14.02.2018Knesset rejects bill recognizing so-called Armenian Genocide
- 14.02.2018No cases of human infection with H5N6 bird flu reported in Iran – official
- 14.02.2018Over 20 undocumented migrants held in Turkey
- 14.02.2018Turkey's president speaks to Saudi counterpart
- 14.02.2018Taliban confirms senior leader killed by US air strike
- 14.02.2018İraqi Turkmen Front officer attacked in Kirkuk
- 06.08.2017Rouhani warns US against 'political suicide'
- 06.08.2017Clandestine Isis unit training Britons to launch attacks on UK
- 07.08.2017India kills '5 militants' along Kashmir de facto border
- 05.08.201743 civilians killed in U.S.-led airstrikes in Syria's Raqqa
- 05.08.2017US’ Tillerson arrives in Philippines for ASEAN Forum
- 05.08.2017Magnitude 5.8 quake hits Philippines