Former Afghan police chief jailed on corruption charges
A former police chief in the southern province of Helmand was jailed for three years on Saturday for corruption, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
Abdul Rahman Sarjang, who was appointed by President Ashraf Ghani, was convicted on charges of misusing his authority, according to a court statement.
Helmand is a vital province in the fight against the Taliban, who control large swathes of land, and is a center for opium production, which provides the militant group with much of its funding.
Among Sarjang’s crimes were the sale of police district chief posts in the province as well as the appointment of “ghost” officers who existed only on paper so he could collect their pay.
He was tried by a court of the recently established Justice and Judicial Center for Anti-Corruption.
Sarjang rejected the charges, claiming they were part of a political conspiracy against him.
Two months ago, senior military officers were jailed by a military court over their failure in preventing a militant attack on an Afghan National Army base in April.
Ghani has declared the Ministry of Interior to be the “heart of corruption” in Afghanistan and now personally supervises large procurement deals and the appointment of senior officers.
Related news releases
- 12.12.2017EU tells Netanyahu it rejects Trump's Jerusalem move
- 12.12.2017Hezbollah's Nasrallah says group to focus on Israel
- 11.12.20176-magnitude earthquake rattles western Iran
- 11.12.20176-magnitude earthquake hits Iran
- 11.12.2017Putin orders Russian forces pullout from Syria
- 11.12.2017Putin visits Russia’s Hmeymim air base in Syria
- 10.12.2017Lebanon’s FM: "Arab nations should consider imposing economic sanctions against the United States"
- 10.12.2017Arab states urge U.S. to abandon Jerusalem move
- 10.12.2017South Korea's Hyundai says faces headwinds from weaker yen next year
- 10.12.2017Palestinian President Abbas won't meet Pence in region: foreign minister
- 10.12.2017Iraq and Iran sign Kirkuk oil swap deal
- 09.12.2017Turkey, Iran security cooperation ‘vital’ for region
- 09.12.20172 dead, 7 buried in debris after chemical plant explosion in east China
- 09.12.2017Iraq declares war with Islamic State is over
- 09.12.2017Two dead in 'Day of Rage' over Jerusalem, Palestinian president defiant
- 09.12.2017Airstrikes kill 5 civilians in Syria
- 09.12.2017Palestinian negotiator says 'no talking' with U.S. until Trump reverses Jerusalem decision: Al Jazeera
- 09.12.2017At least 25 wounded in Israeli retaliation strikes in Gaza
- 08.12.2017Israeli servicemen down rocket fired from Gaza Strip
- 08.12.2017Two hikers dead, 7 missing in Iran avalanche
- 08.12.2017Clashes erupt in West Bank, East Jerusalem between Palestinian protesters and Israeli troops
- 08.12.20171 killed, 8 wounded in eastern Afghan mosque blast
- 08.12.2017Israel strikes Gaza, no injured
- 07.12.2017Erdogan, Putin to discuss US Jerusalem
- 07.12.2017Senior North Korean diplomat meets U.N. political affairs chief
- 07.12.2017Trump declaration on Jerusalem destroys two-state solution - PLO
- 07.12.2017Palestine, Egypt confer after US decision on Jerusalem
- 06.12.2017Iranian FM: Littoral States agree on bulk of Caspian legal regime
- 06.12.2017Europe fears attacks by returning Daesh fighters
- 05.12.2017Roadside bomb targeting military vehicle kills 6 in North Waziristan, Pakistan
- 05.12.2017Iranian soldier killed in attack near Turkish border
- 05.12.2017South Korea, U.S. launch air drills amid North Korean warnings of nuclear war
- 05.12.2017U.N. political affairs chief to visit North Korea this week
- 05.12.2017US defense secretary meets Pakistan’s prime minister
- 04.12.2017Red Cross Reports 2 Airstrikes in Yemeni Capital Sanaa on Monday Night
- 04.12.2017Famous Indian actor Shashi Kapoor passes away at 79
- 04.12.2017No free trade deal during Trudeau’s China trip
- 03.12.2017Tropical storm in Indonesia kills 20
- 03.12.2017Turkey remands 85 military staff over links to FETO
- 02.12.2017Bangladesh: 7 dead, 20 injured in bus-truck collision
- 13.08.2017Bomb kills at least 15 in Pakistani city of Quetta
- 13.08.20178 PKK terrorists killed in southeast Turkey
- 13.08.2017Quake of magnitude 6.5 strikes off Indonesian island of Sumatra
- 12.08.2017Laos to withdraw troops from disputed border area with Cambodia
- 12.08.2017Flooding kills 11 in Iran’s northeast, west
- 12.08.201730 children die in hospital in northern India: medical official