Explosion at Indian power plant kills 16, injures dozens
At least 16 people were killed and dozens more injured in an explosion Wednesday at a thermal power plant in northern India, officials said, APA reports quoting Associated Press.
Sanjay Khatri, the area's top administrative officer, said a pipe carrying ash from the burning coal exploded in the newly installed boiler at the power plant in Unchahar in Uttar Pradesh state. The explosion spewed hot ash over workers at the plant.
The state's top administrative officer, Arvind Kumar, said 16 bodies had been recovered.
Police said the death toll is likely to increase because at least a dozen other workers suffered severe burns.
The 500-megawatt unit was operating on a trial basis.
Khatri said the cause of the accident wasn't immediately known. It also wasn't clear how many workers were in the plant at the time. Witnesses described a massive explosion and thick smoke rising from the plant.
A team of government rescue workers was sent to the site.
Relatives of workers gathered outside the main gate of the power plant desperately seeking information, police officer Suresh Chandra said.
Industrial accidents are not unusual in India, where safety measures are often flouted.
Related news releases
- 18.06.2018Turkish soldiers enter outer districts of north Syria's Manbij
- 16.06.2018Turkey hits 'critical gathering' of PKK in north Iraq
- 16.06.2018Blast taints cease-fire in Afghanistan, 20 killed
- 15.06.2018Yemen gov’t forces take Al-Hudaydah’s southern entrance
- 14.06.2018Kashmiri journalist shot dead
- 14.06.2018Moon celebrates peace as Koreas hold military talks
- 13.06.2018Arab states launch biggest assault of Yemen war with attack on main port
- 13.06.2018Russian military seize arms cache in Syria’s Homs province
- 13.06.2018Iraq: Al-Sadr allies with Fatah to form majority group
- 12.06.2018Trump: North Korea sanctions will remain, but ‘war games’ to end
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim sign document following Singapore meeting
- 12.06.2018Ex-NBA star Rodman bursts in tears after historic Trump, Kim handshake
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim complete extended format talks - UPDATED-1
- 12.06.2018U.S. unveils de facto embassy in Taiwan amid China tensions
- 12.06.2018Trump says summit with North Korea's Kim is 'very, very good'
- 12.06.2018North Korea's Kim visits Singapore's sky bar, gardens in surprise evening tour
- 12.06.2018Kim set a deadline for ending summit, prompting earlier exit by Trump
- 12.06.2018Qatar sues United Arab Emirates at UN rights court
- 11.06.2018Former NBA star Rodman arrives in Singapore for Trump-Kim summit
- 11.06.2018Turkey launches anti-PKK ops in Qandil Mountains – Erdogan
- 11.06.2018Iran warns North Korea of US breach of promise
- 10.06.2018Frenchman commits suicide at Mecca - VİDEO
- 10.06.2018Terrorist cell smashed in Northwestern Iran
- 10.06.2018Kim Jong-un Departs for Singapore Summit
- 10.06.2018Civilians killed in Houthi shelling of Saudi Arabia’s Jaza
- 09.06.201814 PKK terrorists ‘neutralized’ in southeastern Turkey
- 09.06.2018Turkish soldier succumbs to injuries after PKK clash
- 09.06.2018Turkish forces 'deployed 30km inside' of northern Iraq
- 09.06.2018China accused of hacking, stealing US Navy plans
- 09.06.2018EU foreign policy chief cancels visit to Israel
- 08.06.2018Israeli troops kill four Palestinians as Gaza protest resumes
- 08.06.2018Saudi court sentences 4 to death over Iran espionage
- 07.06.2018At least 18 killed in Baghdad explosion
- 07.06.2018Sudan says it has cut all defence ties with North Korea
- 07.06.2018Iran to complete facility to build centrifuges in a month: TV
- 06.06.2018Clash erupts between PKK, Hashd al-Shaabi in Iraq
- 06.06.2018Iraqi forces kill 13 Daesh in capital's north
- 05.06.2018Khamenei says Iran set to boost enrichment capacity if nuclear deal founders
- 05.06.201813 Houthis killed in clashes with army in central Yemen
- 05.06.2018'Expat Syrians can return after Turkey-US Manbij deal'
- 02.11.2017Eight security personnel killed in armed standoff with PKK militants in Turkey
- 02.11.2017Supreme Leader Khamenei says U.S. is Iran's 'number one enemy'
- 03.11.2017N. Korea slams 'frenzied' U.S. over B-1B bombers
- 01.11.2017Iran says has missiles capable of striking US forces in case of invasion
- 01.11.2017Iraqi government sets date for parliamentary election
- 31.10.2017Turkish court remands in custody 2 FETO suspects