EU broadens sanction list agaisnt DPRK amid U.S.-DPRK war of words
The Council of the European Union (EU) on Thursday broadened a sanction list targeting the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) in response to the Northeast Asian country's ongoing test-launch of ballistic missiles, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
The Council of the EU said in a statement that it has added nine persons and four entities, including the state-owned Foreign Trade Bank, to a blacklist in line with a new resolution passed by the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) on Saturday slapping new economic sanctions on the DPRK over its ballistic missile and nuclear programs.
Following the Council's decision, the blacklist now includes 62 persons and 50 entities subject to an asset freeze and travel restrictions in the EU.
The broadened list came amid an escalating row between the DPRK and the United States, as Pyongyong warned of making preemptive strikes against the U.S. military base of Guam in the Pacific after U.S. President Donald Trump threatened the DPRK with "fire and fury like the world has never seen."
The DPRK military has said that its plan to strike Guam with intermediate missiles will be ready by mid-August and its implementation will depend on a decision by top DPRK leader Kim Jong Un, the Korean Central News Agency said Thursday.
Days before the war of words, the UNSC, in an exceptional session on Saturday, unanimously adopted the Resolution 2371 (2017) to impose new sanctions on the DPRK for ignoring previous resolutions and its recent intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) tests.
Related news releases
- 19.08.2017Floods kill 10 people, displace 11,000 in South China
- 19.08.2017Lebanese army launches operation against Islamic State
- 19.08.2017Yemen violence worsening, more access to north needed: U.N.
- 17.08.2017Suicide blast in Gaza kills police officer, hurts five
- 17.08.2017Iranian president urges EU to step up efforts in nuclear deal implementation
- 17.08.2017Kyrgyz opposition leader convicted ahead of election
- 16.08.2017Detained Iran opposition leader goes on hunger strike
- 16.08.2017Afghanistan, Pakistan agree on need to restore trust
- 16.08.2017Mass graves found after Afghan forces recapture Shia village from Taliban
- 16.08.2017Turkish military kills 3 PKK terrorists in Iraq
- 16.08.2017North Korea delays Guam missile firing, U.S. says dialogue up to Kim
- 15.08.2017Syrian Military Jet Crashes in Suwayda Province - UPDATED
- 15.08.2017Philippines, ASEAN urge dialogue with North Korea
- 15.08.2017Fighting between Moro groups in Philippines kills 25
- 15.08.2017North Korea delays plan to fire missiles toward Guam
- 15.08.2017Iran appoints chief of influential expediency council
- 14.08.2017Blast kills six in Pakistan's southwest
- 14.08.2017Turkish jets kill 13 PKK terrorists in N. Iraq
- 13.08.2017Quake of magnitude 6.5 strikes off Indonesian island of Sumatra
- 13.08.20178 PKK terrorists killed in southeast Turkey
- 13.08.2017Bomb kills at least 15 in Pakistani city of Quetta
- 12.08.2017Former Afghan police chief jailed on corruption charges
- 12.08.2017Laos to withdraw troops from disputed border area with Cambodia
- 12.08.2017Flooding kills 11 in Iran’s northeast, west
- 12.08.201730 children die in hospital in northern India: medical official
- 11.08.2017Myanmar: Swine flu deaths go up to 23
- 11.08.2017U.S.-led coalition targets IS financial centers
- 10.08.2017Islamic State threatens new attacks in Iran
- 10.08.2017Poll to achieve ‘separation from Iraq’: Kurdish leader
- 09.08.2017UN envoy holds talks with Yemeni president in Riyadh
- 09.08.2017Death toll in southwest China earthquake rises to nine, 135 injured - UPDATED
- 09.08.2017U.S.-led coalition strikes kill 29 civilians in Syria
- 08.08.2017Number of powerful China quake victims rises to 88
- 08.08.20175 killed as 7.0-magnitude quake hits SW China
- 08.08.2017Turkey begins building border wall with Iran
- 08.08.2017Iranian drone approaches US jet in Persian Gulf, makes it take evasive action
- 08.08.2017Now a tropical storm, Noru rakes Japan's main island
- 08.08.2017South Korea holds live-fire drills near western border with North Korea
- 08.08.2017Joint Turkey-Qatar naval games exercises up outside Doha
- 08.08.2017At least 22 wounded in bomb blast in Pakistani city of Lahore
- 10.08.2017Bomb attack kills politician in Yemen
- 10.08.2017Counterterror operations kill 6 PKK terrorists
- 11.08.201736 dead, 13 injured in NW China road accident
- 10.08.2017South Korea threatens to retaliate against North’s provocations
- 10.08.2017North Korea Calls Trump Impossible to Communicate With
- 10.08.2017Up to 50 teen migrants 'deliberately drowned' off Yemen