NATO airstrikes kill dozens of civilians in Afganistan
There are conflicting figures about the exact number of casualties in the remote area. While some put it at around 30 dead, other local media outlets claimed that more than 100 civilians died in the airstrikes carried out in Boz Kandahari area. Women and children are among the dead.
Mir Aqa Etebar, director of the Disasters Management Authority, told Anadolu Agency that around 100 civilians lost their lives in clashes between Taliban and Afghan and coalition forces during the last two days in the area.
Asadullah Umerkhail, provincial governor, said two Taliban groups remain under siege of the Special Forces, who killed 28 militants in the area. He confirmed that a number of civilians had been killed in the airstrikes.
Kunduz residents took to the streets Thursday to protest against the tragedy. They blamed Afghan and American forces for indiscriminately bombing residential areas.
In a message, President Mohammad Ashraf Ghani announced the formation of a fact-finding committee to probe the incident.
“The president, after getting to know about the civilian casualties, got seriously distressed, and sternly directed the Kunduz governor and Afghan National Security and Defense Forces stationed in this province to take extra care to avoid civilian casualties during the operations,” it said.
“President Ghani has constituted an investigation committee that would probe all aspects of the incident and in light of the findings legal actions would be taken against the perpetrators of this crime against humanity,” it added.
Two U.S. soldiers and three Afghan Special Forces members also died during a clash with the Taliban in the area Thursday.
In a statement on its website, NATO said: “Two U.S. service members died as a result of wounds sustained during operations in Kunduz district, Kunduz province today [Thursday]. Two other U.S. service members were wounded in the operation.”
About the civilian deaths in airstrikes, NATO’s Resolute Support official twitter page sent out two posts: “Airstrikes were conducted in #Kunduz to defend friendly forces under fire. All civilian casualty claims will be investigated.
“To clarify, U.S. forces conducted strikes in #Kunduz to defend friendly forces. All civilian casualty claims will be investigated.”
Related news releases
- 17.12.2017At least two dead, eight missing after landslide in southern Chile
- 17.12.2017Dozens of migrants held in northwestern Turkey
- 17.12.2017Saudi women will also be allowed to drive trucks, motorbikes
- 16.12.2017Clash in northern Afghanistan kills 10 civilians
- 16.12.2017Two dead, buildings damaged by Indonesia earthquake - UPDATED
- 15.12.2017Tsunami alert as quakes rock Indonesia
- 15.12.2017Japan says North Korea not interested in meaningful talks
- 14.12.2017New footage suggests North Korea might have an H-Bomb
- 14.12.201738 ISIL militants executed in Iraq
- 14.12.2017Putin specifies conditions for Russian involvement in addressing Syrian refugee problems
- 14.12.2017Putin warns against U.S. strike on North Korea
- 14.12.2017North Korea shows no sign it is serious about talking: U.S. official
- 14.12.2017Israel puts Gaza border on lockdown over security concerns
- 14.12.2017Syrian opposition discusses electoral process with UN
- 14.12.20172 Daesh militants killed in Iraq’s Kirkuk
- 13.12.2017Iran’s Rouhani urges every possible means to avert US move on Holy Quds
- 13.12.2017Palestinian president urges world not to recognize Israeli state
- 13.12.2017North Korea's Kim Jong Un fetes rocket scientists, promises more weapons
- 13.12.20176.1 earthquake strikes eastern Iran
- 13.12.2017Yemeni PM accuses Houthis of subservience to Tehran
- 12.12.2017Russia withdraws diplomats from Yemen's Sanaa
- 12.12.2017Hamas announces beginning of third intifada against US decision on Jerusalem
- 12.12.2017EU tells Netanyahu it rejects Trump's Jerusalem move
- 12.12.2017Hezbollah's Nasrallah says group to focus on Israel
- 11.12.20176-magnitude earthquake rattles western Iran
- 11.12.20176-magnitude earthquake hits Iran
- 11.12.2017Putin orders Russian forces pullout from Syria
- 11.12.2017Putin visits Russia’s Hmeymim air base in Syria
- 10.12.2017Lebanon’s FM: "Arab nations should consider imposing economic sanctions against the United States"
- 10.12.2017Arab states urge U.S. to abandon Jerusalem move
- 10.12.2017South Korea's Hyundai says faces headwinds from weaker yen next year
- 10.12.2017Palestinian President Abbas won't meet Pence in region: foreign minister
- 10.12.2017Iraq and Iran sign Kirkuk oil swap deal
- 09.12.2017Turkey, Iran security cooperation ‘vital’ for region
- 09.12.20172 dead, 7 buried in debris after chemical plant explosion in east China
- 09.12.2017Iraq declares war with Islamic State is over
- 09.12.2017Two dead in 'Day of Rage' over Jerusalem, Palestinian president defiant
- 09.12.2017Airstrikes kill 5 civilians in Syria
- 09.12.2017Palestinian negotiator says 'no talking' with U.S. until Trump reverses Jerusalem decision: Al Jazeera
- 09.12.2017At least 25 wounded in Israeli retaliation strikes in Gaza
- 04.11.2016Up to 40,000 troops ready to isolate Syria's Raqqah
- 04.11.201615 terrorists killed in airstrike in eastern Turkey
- 04.11.2016Just a stone’s throw from battlefield: Syrian War as seen from Golan Heights
- 03.11.2016Almost 20 killed as two passenger trains collide
- 03.11.2016Iraqi troops enter Mosul
- 03.11.2016Iran to ‘send nuclear deal to museum’ if US fails to keep its pledges: IRGC