Death toll in southwest China earthquake rises to nine, 135 injured - UPDATED
According to Sina, the death toll includes six tourists and two locals. One body is yet to be identified.
A total of 135 people were injured, 32 of them seriously.
The Russian Embassy in China said it had not been informed of any casualties among Russian citizens.
The Jiuzhaigou County in the Sichuan Province was struck by a 7.0-magnitude earthquake on Tuesday evening, followed by more than 280 aftershocks.
According to China’s seismology center, the most powerful of the aftershocks ranged in magnitude between 7.0 and 7.9.
Chinese rescuers are pessimistic in their death toll estimates, saying that the disaster had a potential to kill hundreds of people.
Related news releases
- 19.08.2017Floods kill 10 people, displace 11,000 in South China
- 19.08.2017Lebanese army launches operation against Islamic State
- 19.08.2017Yemen violence worsening, more access to north needed: U.N.
- 17.08.2017Suicide blast in Gaza kills police officer, hurts five
- 17.08.2017Iranian president urges EU to step up efforts in nuclear deal implementation
- 17.08.2017Kyrgyz opposition leader convicted ahead of election
- 16.08.2017Detained Iran opposition leader goes on hunger strike
- 16.08.2017Afghanistan, Pakistan agree on need to restore trust
- 16.08.2017Mass graves found after Afghan forces recapture Shia village from Taliban
- 16.08.2017Turkish military kills 3 PKK terrorists in Iraq
- 16.08.2017North Korea delays Guam missile firing, U.S. says dialogue up to Kim
- 15.08.2017Syrian Military Jet Crashes in Suwayda Province - UPDATED
- 15.08.2017Philippines, ASEAN urge dialogue with North Korea
- 15.08.2017Fighting between Moro groups in Philippines kills 25
- 15.08.2017North Korea delays plan to fire missiles toward Guam
- 15.08.2017Iran appoints chief of influential expediency council
- 14.08.2017Blast kills six in Pakistan's southwest
- 14.08.2017Turkish jets kill 13 PKK terrorists in N. Iraq
- 13.08.2017Quake of magnitude 6.5 strikes off Indonesian island of Sumatra
- 13.08.20178 PKK terrorists killed in southeast Turkey
- 13.08.2017Bomb kills at least 15 in Pakistani city of Quetta
- 12.08.2017Former Afghan police chief jailed on corruption charges
- 12.08.2017Laos to withdraw troops from disputed border area with Cambodia
- 12.08.2017Flooding kills 11 in Iran’s northeast, west
- 12.08.201730 children die in hospital in northern India: medical official
- 11.08.2017Myanmar: Swine flu deaths go up to 23
- 11.08.2017U.S.-led coalition targets IS financial centers
- 11.08.201736 dead, 13 injured in NW China road accident
- 10.08.2017Counterterror operations kill 6 PKK terrorists
- 10.08.2017Bomb attack kills politician in Yemen
- 10.08.2017EU broadens sanction list agaisnt DPRK amid U.S.-DPRK war of words
- 10.08.2017South Korea threatens to retaliate against North’s provocations
- 10.08.2017North Korea Calls Trump Impossible to Communicate With
- 10.08.2017Up to 50 teen migrants 'deliberately drowned' off Yemen
- 08.08.2017Turkey begins building border wall with Iran
- 08.08.2017Iranian drone approaches US jet in Persian Gulf, makes it take evasive action
- 08.08.2017Now a tropical storm, Noru rakes Japan's main island
- 08.08.2017South Korea holds live-fire drills near western border with North Korea
- 08.08.2017Joint Turkey-Qatar naval games exercises up outside Doha
- 08.08.2017At least 22 wounded in bomb blast in Pakistani city of Lahore
- 09.08.2017UN envoy holds talks with Yemeni president in Riyadh
- 10.08.2017Poll to achieve ‘separation from Iraq’: Kurdish leader
- 10.08.2017Islamic State threatens new attacks in Iran
- 09.08.2017U.S.-led coalition strikes kill 29 civilians in Syria
- 08.08.2017Number of powerful China quake victims rises to 88
- 08.08.20175 killed as 7.0-magnitude quake hits SW China