Daesh kills one officer, injures two in northern Iraq
One security officer was killed and two others injured in an ambush by Daesh terrorists in northern Iraq, police sources said Monday.
Police spokesman Afrasyav Kamil told Anadolu Agency that Daesh militants opened fire on security forces in Sergaran town in Kirkuk governorate.
The battle between security forces and the militants lasted nearly an hour and the militants escaped to other districts after security reinforcements were sent to the area.
Kamil added that Daesh sleeper cells launched an attack on members of the Hashd al-Shabi militia who had been patrolling on the Dibis-Sergaran highway in the area. One militia member was killed and two others were injured, he said.
Daesh sleeper cells in Iraq sometimes launch raids on a strategic road linking Baghdad to oil-rich Kirkuk.
Home to Arabs, Kurds and Turkmen, the city of Kirkuk is being secured by Peshmerga forces of the Kurdish Regional Government in northern Iraq.
Related news releases
- 24.04.20186 PKK terrorists 'neutralized' in N.Iraq
- 24.04.2018North Korean leader mourns deaths of Chinese tourists
- 24.04.2018Magnitude 5.1 earthquake strikes southeastern Turkey
- 24.04.2018Southern China karaoke lounge fire kills 18 - police
- 24.04.2018Saudi-led air strikes kill at least 20 at Yemen wedding
- 23.04.2018Russian, Chinese FMs call for peace in Syria
- 23.04.20187 killed, 2 injured in SW China road accident
- 22.04.2018Iran 'ready' to resume nuke program if US leaves deal
- 22.04.2018India seeks death penalty for child rapists
- 22.04.2018Saudi police: Riyadh's shooting targeted toy drone - UPDATED
- 22.04.2018Arms seized from militants shown in Syria’s Douma
- 22.04.2018Fears of a coup are sparked in Saudi Arabia after heavy gunfire erupts near the Royal Palace
- 21.04.2018PKK terror attack kills civilian in eastern Turkey
- 21.04.2018Japan’s Abe lauds North Korea move to end nuclear tests
- 21.04.2018Israeli troops kill four Palestinians in border protest
- 21.04.2018North Korea says will stop nuclear tests, scrap test site
- 21.04.2018Twenty killed in air strike in southwest Yemen: residents
- 21.04.2018Tehran warns Israel: Our ‘hands are on the trigger’
- 20.04.201829 Daesh terrorists killed in Iraq by airstrikes
- 20.04.2018Turkish court remands 3 senior FETO members
- 20.04.2018Four Saudi security forces killed by gunmen in southern province
- 19.04.2018U.N. team fired upon in Syria while visiting suspected chemical sites
- 18.04.2018Peace treaty with North Korea possible following denuclearization
- 18.04.2018Iranian helicopter crashes into Persian Gulf
- 17.04.2018Putin, Merkel discuss Syria — Kremlin
- 14.04.2018Rouhani, Assad hold phone conversation
- 14.04.2018Ali Khamenei accuses US, France and Britain of crime
- 14.04.2018Iranian FM: US, British, French aggression on Syria breaches international laws
- 14.04.2018Israel: Strikes in Syria an 'important signal' to Iran, Syria and Hezbollah
- 14.04.2018Syrian air defenses shot down 13 missiles: state TV
- 14.04.2018Israel says Iranian drone it shot down in February was carrying explosives
- 13.04.2018Russia claims chemical attack in Syria was 'staged and directed by UK'
- 12.04.2018Turkish army neutralizes 3 PKK/PYD-YPG terrorists
- 12.04.2018At least 16 killed by bombing to the north of Baghdad
- 12.04.2018Russian MFA: Israeli air force’s missile strikes on Syria coincident with intensified activities of ISIS
- 12.04.2018Erdogan: Supporters of murderous Assad and PYD are mistaken
- 12.04.2018Israel warns Iran not to test its determination
- 11.04.2018Saudi-led coalition says it does not seek permanent Yemen presence
- 10.04.2018Seven Myanmar soldiers sentenced to 10 years for Rohingya massacre
- 10.04.2018Iraq to take "all necessary measures" to prevent IS attacks from Syria, PM says
- 22.03.2018Turkey, Free Syrian Army clear 4 more villages in Afrin
- 22.03.2018Military training aircraft crashes in central Turkey
- 23.03.2018Military personnel martyred in plane crash in Turkey - UPDATED
- 18.03.2018Iran security service arrest close ally of ex-president Ahmadinejad
- 17.03.2018Turkish troops reunite in Afrin's north
- 17.03.2018China's parliament re-elects Xi Jinping as president