40 killed in Kabul explosions - UPDATED
At least 40 people have died and many more have been injured in blasts at a religious site in Kabul today.
The Shia Tabayan cultural centre was hit by three blasts, with reports that only the first resulted in casualties.
Nasrat Rahimi, the deputy interior ministry spokesman, told the AFP news agency: “A ceremony was being held to mark the 38th anniversary of Soviet invasion in Afghanistan when the explosion went off.
“We have 40 killed, 30 wounded, but this is not the final toll. It might go up.”
No one has yet claimed responsibility for the attack, although Taliban sources quickly denied involvement.
An explosion went off at an office of the Afghan Voice news agency in the capital, Kabul, on Thursday causing serious casualties, officials and witnesses said, the latest in a series of attacks on media groups, APA reported citing Reuters.
Photographs sent by witnesses showed what appeared to be serious damage at the site and a number of dead and wounded on the ground.
Public Health Ministry spokesman Ismail Kawosi said at least four people had been killed and 18 wounded.
However, the final toll may be higher, according to witnesses who said there were heavy casualties among students attending a panel discussion with researchers at the agency’s offices.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility.
The attack, the latest in a series to hit Afghan media groups in recent years, follows an attack on a private television station in Kabul last month.
According to a report this month by media freedom group Reporters without Borders, Afghanistan is among the world’s most dangerous countries for media workers with two journalists and five media assistants killed doing their jobs in 2017.
Related news releases
- 17.07.2018Protests in Iraq leave 5 dead, 190 injured
- 17.07.2018Syrian army says it captures strategic hill overlooking Israeli border
- 15.07.2018Indonesian police shoot dead three suspected militants
- 15.07.2018Rouhani: "The US ‘more isolated than ever’ over Iran sanctions"
- 14.07.2018At least 10 killed by landslide in northern Myanmar
- 14.07.2018Velayati: Russia wants to create joint electrical grid with Iran, Azerbaijan
- 14.07.2018China floods wreak havoc, block roads and railways
- 14.07.2018Palestinian teenager killed in Israel-Gaza border protests
- 13.07.2018Suicide bomber kills 128 in attack on Pakistani election rally
- 13.07.2018Former Pakistani premier Sharif arrested in Lahore
- 13.07.2018Indian planes carrying more than 300 people avoid mid-air collision by 200 feet
- 12.07.2018FBI Presents New Details on Lead Up to Saddam Hussein's Interrogation
- 12.07.2018Kim Jong-un: "Extraordinary efforts' made by Trump for improving US-N Korea ties
- 11.07.2018Iran Supreme Leader's aide hails 'strategic' ties with Russia before Putin talks
- 11.07.201812 killed in election rally in NW Pakistan
- 10.07.2018Death toll in Japan flood disaster rises to 156
- 10.07.2018Last remaining kid, coach evacuated from Thai cave - media
- 10.07.2018At least 140 dead after heavy rain and landslides in Japan
- 09.07.2018Death toll rises to 126 in W. Japan after flood, rain
- 08.07.2018Japan floods and heavy rain leave at least 41 dead, dozens missing - UPDATED
- 07.07.2018North Korea regrets US stance at talks
- 07.07.2018Iran calls for EU help as shipping giant pulls out for fear of U.S. sanctions
- 07.07.2018Insider attack in S. Afghanistan kills 1 US serviceman, injures 2 others - NATO - UPDATED
- 07.07.2018Indian army kills 3 civilians in southern Kashmir
- 07.07.2018Both sides seek to 'clarify' as Pompeo holds second day of North Korea talks
- 07.07.2018No breakthrough in nuclear talks as Iran demands more after U.S. exit
- 07.07.2018Israeli air strike hits Syria at Golan frontier
- 07.07.2018Palestinian killed as Gaza protests against Israel enter fourth month
- 07.07.2018Second Saudi teen kills self after playing online game
- 06.07.2018Iranian leader describes EU proposals to save JCPOA as ‘disappointing’
- 05.07.2018German Coalition parties reach deal on Migration
- 05.07.2018Iranian FM summons German, French, Belgian diplomats
- 05.07.2018Pakistani court sends fake degree mill owner to jail
- 04.07.2018Iraq urges world countries to repatriate Islamic State children
- 04.07.20184.3-magnitude earthquake hits southern Iran
- 02.07.2018Thai rescue teams find 13 missing in cave alive
- 02.07.20184 PKK terrorists neutralized in SE Turkey
- 01.07.2018Three settlements in Syria’s southwest de-escalation zone join ceasefire
- 01.07.2018Explosive device detonates near school in Syrian city of Al Hasakah
- 30.06.2018Iran still awaits for EU proposals on preserving nuclear deal - Tehran
- 28.12.2017Explosion hits area near police station in Southern Turkey
- 28.12.2017Russian and Syrian diplomats discuss preparations for Syrian National Dialogue Congress
- 28.12.2017China denies allegations of oil trade with North Korea
- 28.12.20176 children killed in N. Afghan unexploded ordnance blast
- 28.12.2017Baghdad extends Erbil flight ban by 2 months
- 28.12.2017One dead after quake near Iran capital Tehran