Bangladesh: Top Jamaat-e-Islami leaders arrested
Nine people, including top leaders of Jamaat-e-Islamiinf Bangladesh, were arrested Monday night in the capital Dhaka while they were holding a party meeting, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Party leader Ameer Maqbul Ahmed and Secretary General Shafiqur Rahman were among those arrested.
Dhaka Metropolitan Detective Branch (DB) Deputy Commissioner Sheikh Nazmul Alam told Anadolu Agency that they had been taken to police offices in the capital.
"We are talking to the detainees," said Alam. "We are investigating whether there is any arrest warrant against them and whether they are involved in activities against the government.”
When asked if the meeting was about anything related to sabotage, Alam said they did not find anything harmful.
“We just found some papers which contain nothing serious,” said Alam.
Local media reports such as bdnews24 however had quoted Alam as saying the leaders of the party had been "planning to create political anarchy".
Meanwhile, Jamaat-e-Islami called for nationwide protests on Tuesday to demand the release of the detained leaders.
The statement sent to the media from the publication division of Bangladesh Jamaat-e- Islami says that they conform to the Bangladeshi law, constitution and conventional rules to conduct party meetings.
According to the press release, they were detained from there during a domestic meeting under the leadership of Ameer.
Related news releases
- 25.02.20181 terrorist killed, 11 others arrested in SW Pakistan
- 25.02.2018Iraq needs S-400 air defense systems to defend against air attacks — MP
- 25.02.2018Saakashvili's Supporters Protest Near Ukraine's Chief Prosecutor's House
- 24.02.2018UN SC unanimously adopts resolution on 30-day ceasefire in Syria
- 24.02.2018Speeding vehicle kills 9 schoolchildren in İndia
- 24.02.2018Dozens killed in 2 car bombings in Yemen's Aden
- 24.02.2018South Korea says U.S. sanctions on North will bolster U.N. resolutions
- 22.02.2018Lavrov: Russia will consider ceasefire in Syria
- 22.02.2018N Korea calls US-Japan missile drills provocation against Intra-Korean Dialogue
- 22.02.2018Over 400 undocumented migrants held across Turkey
- 22.02.2018Ziyad Sabsabi: "There are about 15 children who lost their parents in Iraq"
- 22.02.2018North Korea canceled planned meeting with Pence
- 21.02.2018North Korea cancelled talks with US Vice President
- 21.02.2018Talks between Erbil, Baghdad reach final stages: PM
- 20.02.2018Russian Center for Syrian Reconciliation comes under massive fire
- 20.02.2018Palestine ready to exchange minor territories with Israel - Abbas
- 20.02.2018Turkish President: Syrian forces tried to enter Afrin, retreated after Turkey's shelling
- 20.02.2018YPG/PKK-Daesh terror groups shell Turkey's south Hatay
- 20.02.2018Maldives leader seeks approval to extend state of emergency
- 19.02.2018Three Iranian police killed in clashes with Sufi protesters
- 19.02.2018Islamic State kills 27 Iraqi militiamen near Kirkuk
- 19.02.2018Israel, Egypt sign $15bn natural gas purchase agreement
- 19.02.2018Kurdish region flight ban to be lifted soon: Iraqi PM
- 18.02.2018Daesh doesn’t represent Islam: Iraqi PM
- 18.02.20182 Turkish soldiers martyred, one injured in operations
- 17.02.2018Turkish, Iraqi PMs stress cooperation against terrorism
- 17.02.20184 Israeli troops injured by explosive device near Gaza
- 17.02.2018Turkish PM: 'We have given terrorist organizations the Ottoman slap'
- 16.02.2018PYD/PKK terrorist admits to posing as civilian
- 16.02.20187 Turkish soldiers injured in Operation Olive Branch
- 15.02.2018Indonesia charges Daesh-linked group for deadly bombing
- 15.02.2018Lebanese PM rule out Hezbollah alliance in May election
- 15.02.2018US secretary of state meets with Jordan king in Amman
- 14.02.2018Knesset rejects bill recognizing so-called Armenian Genocide
- 14.02.2018No cases of human infection with H5N6 bird flu reported in Iran – official
- 14.02.2018Over 20 undocumented migrants held in Turkey
- 14.02.2018Turkey's president speaks to Saudi counterpart
- 14.02.2018Taliban confirms senior leader killed by US air strike
- 14.02.2018İraqi Turkmen Front officer attacked in Kirkuk
- 13.02.2018Cyclone wreaks havoc in Tonga's capital, parliament flattened, homes wrecked
- 11.10.2017Pyongyang: CIA tried to assassinate Kim Jong-un with biochemical weapon
- 11.10.2017UN gearing up for heavy influx of Rohingya Muslim refugees
- 11.10.2017US flies bombers over Korean peninsula with South Korean, Japanese fighter jets
- 08.10.20172 Turkish guards martyred by PKK in Turkey's Diyarbakir
- 08.10.2017Turkey aims to prevent conflict in Syria's Idlib: FM
- 08.10.2017Gunman attacks Saudi security forces at gate of Jeddah royal palace