Attack on military air base in southeastern Afghanistan
At least three militants attacked a military air base used by Afghan and U.S. forces in southeastern Afghanistan on Saturday, according to a senior security official, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
Faizullah Gherat, security chief of Khost province, said attackers tried to enter the military airbase but were prevented by guards stationed there. “Our forces have shot one armed attacker dead, and at least two [would be] suicide attackers are at large, we are looking for them,” he said.
Nine people, including seven CIA agents were killed in a suicide attack carried by a Jordanian militant associated with al-Qaeda on the same military base in December 2009. Camp Chapman in Khost is said to be instrumental in providing intelligence to the CIA for drone attacks across the border in Pakistan.
Earlier this week, a brazen attack on Afghanistan’s biggest hospital frequented by hundreds of civilians and security forces claimed at least 49 lives. The attack on the Sardar Dawood Khan Hospital in Kabul on Wednesday was claimed by Daesh.
In their ongoing ‘Spring Offensive’, the Taliban had declared to target key military installations and prominent government figures.
Related news releases
- 24.09.2017KRG leader rules out delay to referendum schedule
- 23.09.2017Iran says tests new missile, after U.S. criticizes arms program
- 23.09.2017US bombers stage North Korea show of force
- 23.09.2017Turkish parliament ratifies motion on Iraq, Syria - UPDATED
- 23.09.2017Turkish defense minister urges KRG to call off poll
- 23.09.2017Barzani: US Position on Kurdistan’s Independence Vote 'Surprising'
- 23.09.2017Turkey says KRG referendum will have serious consequences
- 23.09.2017First vote cast in Kurdistan independence referendum
- 23.09.2017Iran successfully test-fires new ballistic missile
- 23.09.2017Kurd region poll to be held on schedule: Barzani
- 22.09.2017North Korea's FM: "Pyongyang could test a nuclear weapon in response to Trump's threats of military action"
- 22.09.2017North Korea's Kim says will make 'deranged' Trump pay dearly for UN speech
- 21.09.2017S&P downgrades China's credit ratings
- 21.09.2017Khamenei: Trump’s ‘foolish’ comments on Iran rooted in US defeats in West Asia
- 21.09.2017Troops kill 9 rebels in Northern Philippines Province
- 20.09.2017'Ignorant, absurd, hateful rhetoric' - Iran's president on Trump's un speech
- 20.09.2017Iran publicly hangs man for rape, murder of 7-year-old girl
- 20.09.2017Turkey mulling sanctions over Kurdish referendum
- 19.09.2017Turkish jets kill 3 PKK terrorists in northern Iraq
- 19.09.2017Iran says it will not renegotiate nuclear deal
- 19.09.2017Iraqi Turkmen leader: Barzani plans to annex Kirkuk to Kurdish region
- 19.09.2017Palestine: President, Hamas' Haniyeh talk on phone
- 19.09.2017North Korea: UN sanctions motivate acceleration of nuclear weapon development
- 19.09.2017Turkish president speaks with Iraqi PM on phone
- 18.09.2017Iraq Supreme Court orders suspension of Kurdistan referendum
- 17.09.2017Turkey names new head to religious affairs directorate
- 16.09.2017Car bomb kills one, wounds 10 in disputed Iraqi oil city
- 16.09.2017Iraqi army liberates ISIS-held Akashat town near Syria border
- 16.09.2017Rouhani urges EU to pressure US
- 15.09.2017Islamic State claims responsibility for London blast:
- 15.09.2017Turkish Deputy PM meets Rohingya group's head
- 15.09.2017Seoul holds emergency National Security meeting after North Korean missile test
- 15.09.2017North Korea fires missile over Japan that lands far out in the Pacific
- 14.09.2017At least 50 die in twin attacks in Iraq
- 14.09.2017Airstrikes kill 5 PKK terrorists in eastern Turkey
- 14.09.2017Malaysia’s prime minister calls Myanmar violence genocide
- 14.09.201725 dead in fire at religious school in Malaysia
- 14.09.2017Evacuated Islamic State fighters reach Syria's Deir al-Zor: pro-Damascus commander
- 14.09.2017North Korea accused of raising money by stealing bitcoins in hack attacks
- 13.09.2017Suicide bomb near cricket stadium in Afghan capital kills at least three
- 11.03.2017Expelled South Korean president hides from crowds
- 13.03.2017UNICEF: 652 children were killed in Syria last year
- 13.03.201728 Houthis killed in shelling, airstrikes: Yemeni army
- 11.03.2017South Korean court throws president out of office; two die in protest
- 10.03.2017Seven PKK terrorists killed in SE Turkey
- 10.03.2017Tehran welcomes Chinese offer to mediate with Riyadh