Assassination attempt of Iraqi health minister foiled
Security personnel here successfully foiled an attempt to assassinate Health Minister Adela Hamoud, officials said Wednesday, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
"A grenade was placed in the ministry's building by one of the staff who had hidden it inside the ceiling of the second floor in preparation for using it to assassinate the minister," according to a statement by the ministry.
“Security authorities were informed and they rushed and found the grenade planted in one of the secondary ceilings of the second floor and dealt with it,” it said.
A source within the Ministry of Health who wanted to remain anonymous, told Anadolu Agency the grenade was found on the floor of the inspector general of the ministry. It is unclear if the Hamoud and the inspector general work on the same floor.
The source said security secured the area where the grenade was found and prevented staff from entering.
Hamoud belongs to the Shia National Alliance bloc and was questioned last month by parliament about charges of corruption and mismanagement, but the lawmakers voted to keep her in her post.
An investigation is underway into the attempted assassination.
Related news releases
- 25.07.20179 PKK terrorists killed in Iraq says Turkish military
- 25.07.2017IRGC says neutralized US Navy provocative move in Persian Gulf - UPDATED
- 25.07.2017Israel to replace metal detectors in Jerusalem with smart surveillance
- 25.07.2017Israeli embassy staff in Jordan returned to Israel
- 25.07.2017UN to investigate civilian killings in Afghanistan
- 24.07.2017Israel cites self-defense in Amman embassy shooting
- 24.07.2017Russian, Qatari top diplomats discuss Gulf crisis
- 23.07.2017Dozens of IS militants killed in air raid: Iraqi forces
- 23.07.2017North Korea says South will pay 'Harshest' price for challenging missile tests
- 23.07.20177 killed, 2 injured in Guangzhou tower crane collapse
- 23.07.2017Iran seizes Saudi vessel in Persian Gulf, arrests crew
- 22.07.2017Iran announces new missile production line
- 22.07.2017U.S. air strike kills Afghan forces in friendly-fire incident
- 22.07.2017Three Israelis stabbed to death in West Bank settlement
- 22.07.2017Palestinians suspend official contacts with Israel: president
- 21.07.2017Israeli health officials move to ban smoking in public places
- 21.07.2017Qatar open to talks with Arab states to resolve crisis – Foreign Minister
- 21.07.2017State Dept. urges calm at Al-Aqsa
- 21.07.201730 percent of Raqqah cleared of Daesh: US
- 20.07.2017Israeli and Turkish presidents had a phone talk
- 20.07.2017Iran ambassador ordered to leave Kuwait over spy case
- 20.07.2017Kuwait closes Iran cultural mission, expels diplomats
- 20.07.201716 security personnel killed in Afghanistan
- 20.07.2017Chinese army mobilizes military assets to Tibet following live fire drills
- 19.07.2017Pakistani army: '8 dead' in new border clash with India
- 19.07.2017Over 330,000 killed in Syrian war – monitor
- 19.07.2017North Korea conducts public executions for theft, watching South Korea media
- 19.07.2017Trump’s strategy on Iran ‘doesn’t exist’ just like rest of US foreign policy
- 19.07.2017Egyptian security forces kill prominent Islamic State militant in North Sinai
- 18.07.2017Spokesman: His brother’s arrest won’t influence Rouhani’s will
- 18.07.2017Iranian FM: Independence referendum in Iraqi Kurdistan is a wrong choice
- 18.07.2017Chinese ships warned to leave after entering Japanese waters
- 18.07.2017Challenges remain after Mosul liberation: UN envoy
- 17.07.2017Iranian president's brother hospitalized on second day of detention
- 15.07.2017Benghazi airport reopens after three-year closure during war
- 15.07.2017One dead, 4 injured in Tehran subway brawl
- 15.07.2017Clashes between Iraq's Army, Daesh militants resume in West Mosul
- 14.07.2017Head of Islamic State in Afghanistan killed: Pentagon
- 14.07.2017Two Israeli policemen shot dead near Jerusalem holy site, gunmen killed
- 14.07.2017Daesh Militants Declare Iraqi Tal Afar Independent State From Caliphate - Media
- 11.05.2017New South Korean president Moon Jae-in unlikely to shake up foreign policy
- 12.05.2017Pyongyang doubles down on CIA terror threat
- 12.05.2017US-backed forces take key Syrian city, dam
- 11.05.201725 dead after a wedding hall collapses in India
- 11.05.2017Deadly earthquake has hit China’s western Xinjiang region
- 11.05.2017US-led coalition warplane strikes Syria’s Raqqah