Assassination attempt of Iraqi health minister foiled
Security personnel here successfully foiled an attempt to assassinate Health Minister Adela Hamoud, officials said Wednesday, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
"A grenade was placed in the ministry's building by one of the staff who had hidden it inside the ceiling of the second floor in preparation for using it to assassinate the minister," according to a statement by the ministry.
“Security authorities were informed and they rushed and found the grenade planted in one of the secondary ceilings of the second floor and dealt with it,” it said.
A source within the Ministry of Health who wanted to remain anonymous, told Anadolu Agency the grenade was found on the floor of the inspector general of the ministry. It is unclear if the Hamoud and the inspector general work on the same floor.
The source said security secured the area where the grenade was found and prevented staff from entering.
Hamoud belongs to the Shia National Alliance bloc and was questioned last month by parliament about charges of corruption and mismanagement, but the lawmakers voted to keep her in her post.
An investigation is underway into the attempted assassination.
Related news releases
- 24.09.2017KRG leader rules out delay to referendum schedule
- 23.09.2017Iran says tests new missile, after U.S. criticizes arms program
- 23.09.2017US bombers stage North Korea show of force
- 23.09.2017Turkish parliament ratifies motion on Iraq, Syria - UPDATED
- 23.09.2017Turkish defense minister urges KRG to call off poll
- 23.09.2017Barzani: US Position on Kurdistan’s Independence Vote 'Surprising'
- 23.09.2017Turkey says KRG referendum will have serious consequences
- 23.09.2017First vote cast in Kurdistan independence referendum
- 23.09.2017Iran successfully test-fires new ballistic missile
- 23.09.2017Kurd region poll to be held on schedule: Barzani
- 22.09.2017North Korea's FM: "Pyongyang could test a nuclear weapon in response to Trump's threats of military action"
- 22.09.2017North Korea's Kim says will make 'deranged' Trump pay dearly for UN speech
- 21.09.2017S&P downgrades China's credit ratings
- 21.09.2017Khamenei: Trump’s ‘foolish’ comments on Iran rooted in US defeats in West Asia
- 21.09.2017Troops kill 9 rebels in Northern Philippines Province
- 20.09.2017'Ignorant, absurd, hateful rhetoric' - Iran's president on Trump's un speech
- 20.09.2017Iran publicly hangs man for rape, murder of 7-year-old girl
- 20.09.2017Turkey mulling sanctions over Kurdish referendum
- 19.09.2017Turkish jets kill 3 PKK terrorists in northern Iraq
- 19.09.2017Iran says it will not renegotiate nuclear deal
- 19.09.2017Iraqi Turkmen leader: Barzani plans to annex Kirkuk to Kurdish region
- 19.09.2017Palestine: President, Hamas' Haniyeh talk on phone
- 19.09.2017North Korea: UN sanctions motivate acceleration of nuclear weapon development
- 19.09.2017Turkish president speaks with Iraqi PM on phone
- 18.09.2017Iraq Supreme Court orders suspension of Kurdistan referendum
- 17.09.2017Turkey names new head to religious affairs directorate
- 16.09.2017Car bomb kills one, wounds 10 in disputed Iraqi oil city
- 16.09.2017Iraqi army liberates ISIS-held Akashat town near Syria border
- 16.09.2017Rouhani urges EU to pressure US
- 15.09.2017Islamic State claims responsibility for London blast:
- 15.09.2017Turkish Deputy PM meets Rohingya group's head
- 15.09.2017Seoul holds emergency National Security meeting after North Korean missile test
- 15.09.2017North Korea fires missile over Japan that lands far out in the Pacific
- 14.09.2017At least 50 die in twin attacks in Iraq
- 14.09.2017Airstrikes kill 5 PKK terrorists in eastern Turkey
- 14.09.2017Malaysia’s prime minister calls Myanmar violence genocide
- 14.09.201725 dead in fire at religious school in Malaysia
- 14.09.2017Evacuated Islamic State fighters reach Syria's Deir al-Zor: pro-Damascus commander
- 14.09.2017North Korea accused of raising money by stealing bitcoins in hack attacks
- 13.09.2017Suicide bomb near cricket stadium in Afghan capital kills at least three
- 11.05.2017New South Korean president Moon Jae-in unlikely to shake up foreign policy
- 12.05.2017Pyongyang doubles down on CIA terror threat
- 12.05.2017US-backed forces take key Syrian city, dam
- 11.05.201725 dead after a wedding hall collapses in India
- 11.05.2017Deadly earthquake has hit China’s western Xinjiang region
- 11.05.2017US-led coalition warplane strikes Syria’s Raqqah