Army retakes 6 villages in western Iraq from Daesh
Iraqi forces Monday recaptured six villages in the western Anbar province from the Daesh terrorist organization, while five Daesh elements were killed in another two air strikes in northern Iraq’s Diyala province.
“The Iraqi army managed to liberate six villages west of the city of Rawa, 230 kilometers [143 miles] northwest of Ramadi, the capital of Anbar [province],” Army Col. Waleed al-Dulaimi told Anadolu Agency.
According to al-Dulaimi, Daesh elements fled from the villages towards the desert northwest of the city of Rawa, adding that army units had reached the outskirts of the city in preparation for recapturing it from Daesh.
The operation is part of a wide-ranging military campaign by the Iraqi government starting on Oct. 26 meant to retake the districts of Rawa and Al-Qaim on the Syrian border, reportedly Daesh’s last strongholds.
In related news, at least five Daesh elements were killed by two Iraqi military air strikes in northern Iraq’s Diyala province, Police Capt. Habib al-Shammari told Anadolu Agency Monday.
An Iraqi army aircraft bombed a Daesh vehicle carrying three terrorists in an area in Diyala, he said.
Another vehicle carrying two terrorists was targeted by another air strike in the Hawi al-Azim area, in northern Diyala, he added, saying that the two strikes killed all the Daesh militants inside the vehicles.
Related news releases
- 18.03.2018Iran security service arrest close ally of ex-president Ahmadinejad
- 17.03.2018Turkish troops reunite in Afrin's north
- 17.03.2018China's parliament re-elects Xi Jinping as president
- 16.03.2018Iran won’t renegotiate 2015 nuke deal: Deputy FM
- 16.03.2018U.S. military helicopter crashes in Iraq with seven aboard
- 14.03.2018Explosion kills 9 in northeast Pakistan
- 14.03.2018Deputy of ex-Iranian president remanded in custody
- 14.03.2018Two civilians killed in Damascus in shelling by militants
- 13.03.2018Iranian official blames UK for London embassy incident
- 13.03.2018Israeli PM Netanyahu urges feuding coalition to remain intact
- 12.03.2018At least 50 dead as Bangladeshi passenger plane crashes at Kathmandu airport - UPDATED-2
- 11.03.2018Military vehicle crash in Turkey martyrs one soldier
- 11.03.2018So-called leaders of YPG/PKK 'fleeing' Afrin
- 10.03.2018Iran expresses protest to UK over incident with embassy in London – FM
- 10.03.20188 terrorists 'neutralized' this week in Turkey, N Iraq
- 10.03.2018North Korean state media quiet on Kim Jong Un's overtures to Trump
- 09.03.2018Iranian farmers stage protest in drought-hit Isfahan
- 08.03.2018Israel will always control Jordan Valley: Netanyahu
- 08.03.2018Military storage unit in Iran explodes
- 08.03.2018Israel's El Al seeks U.N. help in bid to fly through Saudi airspace
- 07.03.2018Suicide bomber kills Muslim official in Afghan city
- 07.03.2018Ex-Iran leader warns of mounting public 'disaffection'
- 07.03.2018Terrorists force Afrin residents to dig ditches
- 07.03.20181 killed in car bomb blast in Syria's Al-Bab
- 06.03.2018Russian transport plane crashes in Syria
- 06.03.2018Wedding party truck plunges off a bridge in India, killing 25
- 06.03.2018Koreas reach 'satisfactory' agreement
- 06.03.2018Iran: We can resume enriching weapons-grade uranium in 'less than 48 hours'
- 05.03.2018'More than 40 militants' killed in Afghanistan
- 05.03.2018Papua New Guinea quake kills 80 people
- 04.03.2018N. Korea warns U.S. not to misjudge intention for talks
- 03.03.2018Saudi Arabia holds first-ever marathon for women
- 03.03.2018Turkish female troops provide backup in Afrin operation
- 03.03.2018North Korea threatens to 'counter' U.S. over military drills
- 03.03.2018Three Australians die, more sick in listeria outbreak tied to melons
- 02.03.2018Saudi Arabia lifts 35-year-long ban on cinemas
- 02.03.2018South Korea plans to send envoy to North Korea soon
- 02.03.20188 Turkish soldiers martyred, 13 wounded in Afrin
- 02.03.2018Iran detains 35 women for going to football match
- 02.03.2018IED blast kills 2 in Afghanistan
- 14.03.201521 dead, 21 missing after ferry capsizes in Myanmar
- 15.03.2015Iran seals memorandum of understanding in banking sector with Russia — Fars
- 15.03.2015CIA bankrolled al-Qaeda in 2010
- 14.03.2015Dozens feared dead as cyclone pounds Pacific island of Vanuatu
- 14.03.2015Pressure on next Israel government to repair foreign ties
- 14.03.201526 Iraqi soldiers killed in clashes with IS