Air attack kills 58 civilians in Aleppo mosque
An aerial attack on a mosque during prayer time in the Syrian city of Aleppo killed 58 people late on Thursday, a civil defense source told Anadolu Agency, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
Civil defense official Yahya Javad said the attack also wounded dozens of others in the city’s Al-Etarip area.
"A warplane, which we believe was a Russian jet, bombed a mosque during prayer time in Jina village near the Al-Etarip district of Aleppo," he said.
Javad said civil defense officials tried to rescue people from the mosque's wreckage: "There were 200-300 people in the mosque [during the attack]."
He said the death toll could rise, despite efforts by civil defense teams to reach people trapped under the wreckage.
He stressed: "Attacking a mosque with a jet cannot be accepted."
Syria has remained locked in a vicious civil war since early 2011, when the regime cracked down on pro-democracy protests with unexpected ferocity.
Since then, more than 250,000 Syrians have been killed in the conflict and millions more displaced, according to UN figures.
Related news releases
- 19.11.2017Syrian army clashes with IS in Abu Kamal — SANA
- 19.11.2017Militants shell southeastern outskirts of Damascus — media
- 18.11.2017India's Manushi Chhillar wins Miss World 2017
- 18.11.2017Japanese tug boat crashes into US warship during exercise
- 18.11.20173 PKK terrorists killed in northern Iraq
- 18.11.20176.9 magnitude earthquake hits southern China
- 18.11.2017Japan begins disposal of radioactive waste from Fukushima disaster
- 18.11.2017Hariri to leave Saudi Arabia for France on Friday: MP
- 17.11.2017World's first human head transplant carried out
- 17.11.2017Yemeni governor announces resignation
- 16.11.2017Pakistan's parliament restores finality of prophet law
- 16.11.2017Suicide bomber kills nine near Afghan political meeting
- 16.11.20172,200 cholera deaths recorded in Yemen since April: WHO
- 15.11.201748 terrorists killed, 13 villages taken in Iraq's Anbar
- 15.11.2017Opium production in Afghanistan hits record high: UN
- 15.11.2017East China road accident death toll rises to 18
- 15.11.2017Muslim state’s meddling in Lebanon ‘shameful’: Iran’s Rouhani
- 15.11.2017Indonesian police officer killed in shooting near Freeport mine
- 14.11.2017Syrian National Dialogue Congress to be held in early December
- 14.11.20175 PKK terrorists killed in southeastern Turkey
- 14.11.201722 policemen killed in Taliban group attack in Afghanistan
- 14.11.2017Air strikes kill 29 in market in northern Syria
- 14.11.2017Defecting North Korean soldier shot in back, survives to cross DMZ
- 14.11.2017Saudi Arabia to meet Syrian opposition next week
- 14.11.2017Army retakes 6 villages in western Iraq from Daesh
- 13.11.2017Strong earthquake hits Iran-Iraq border, kills about 450 - UPDATED-3
- 13.11.2017Iran sticks to key limits of nuclear deal: U.N. watchdog report
- 13.11.201725 militants surrender to Syrian authorities in Aleppo province
- 12.11.2017Russian combat engineers defuse over 400 explosive devices in Deir ez-Zor in 24 hours
- 12.11.2017Abe hails 'fresh start' to Japan-China ties after Xi meeting
- 11.11.2017Bahrain calls oil pipeline fire ‘a terrorist act’
- 11.11.2017North Korea not discussed in detail by Putin, Trump in Vietnam - Kremlin
- 11.11.2017Putin denies claims of Russia’s meddling efforts in US election at talks with Trump
- 11.11.2017Jordan, Russia, US agree on de-escalation zone in Syria
- 11.11.2017Turkish court slaps 10 with jail terms over FETO links
- 11.11.2017IRGC warplane crashes in southern Iran - UPDATED
- 11.11.2017'No military solution to Syrian crisis’: Putin and Trump in joint statement
- 11.11.2017Saudi-Led coalition strikes Yemeni Mod after Houthis’ attack
- 11.11.2017Ex-Lebanon PM being ‘held’ by Saudi Arabia: Nasrallah
- 10.11.2017Abbas urges countries to recognize Palestine
- 17.03.2017Syria government urges U.N. chief to avert 'looming dam catastrophe'
- 17.03.2017Japan launches IGS Radar-5 spy satellite
- 17.03.2017Traffic accidents kill 50 people in Iran in past two days
- 16.03.20172 militants killed in police raid in Bangladesh
- 16.03.2017Iraqi troops seize main bridge, advance on mosque in battle for Mosul
- 16.03.20176 killed, 13 injured as building collapses due to gas explosion in northern India