Air attack kills 58 civilians in Aleppo mosque
An aerial attack on a mosque during prayer time in the Syrian city of Aleppo killed 58 people late on Thursday, a civil defense source told Anadolu Agency, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
Civil defense official Yahya Javad said the attack also wounded dozens of others in the city’s Al-Etarip area.
"A warplane, which we believe was a Russian jet, bombed a mosque during prayer time in Jina village near the Al-Etarip district of Aleppo," he said.
Javad said civil defense officials tried to rescue people from the mosque's wreckage: "There were 200-300 people in the mosque [during the attack]."
He said the death toll could rise, despite efforts by civil defense teams to reach people trapped under the wreckage.
He stressed: "Attacking a mosque with a jet cannot be accepted."
Syria has remained locked in a vicious civil war since early 2011, when the regime cracked down on pro-democracy protests with unexpected ferocity.
Since then, more than 250,000 Syrians have been killed in the conflict and millions more displaced, according to UN figures.
Related news releases
- 24.09.2017KRG leader rules out delay to referendum schedule
- 23.09.2017Iran says tests new missile, after U.S. criticizes arms program
- 23.09.2017US bombers stage North Korea show of force
- 23.09.2017Turkish parliament ratifies motion on Iraq, Syria - UPDATED
- 23.09.2017Turkish defense minister urges KRG to call off poll
- 23.09.2017Barzani: US Position on Kurdistan’s Independence Vote 'Surprising'
- 23.09.2017Turkey says KRG referendum will have serious consequences
- 23.09.2017First vote cast in Kurdistan independence referendum
- 23.09.2017Iran successfully test-fires new ballistic missile
- 23.09.2017Kurd region poll to be held on schedule: Barzani
- 22.09.2017North Korea's FM: "Pyongyang could test a nuclear weapon in response to Trump's threats of military action"
- 22.09.2017North Korea's Kim says will make 'deranged' Trump pay dearly for UN speech
- 21.09.2017S&P downgrades China's credit ratings
- 21.09.2017Khamenei: Trump’s ‘foolish’ comments on Iran rooted in US defeats in West Asia
- 21.09.2017Troops kill 9 rebels in Northern Philippines Province
- 20.09.2017'Ignorant, absurd, hateful rhetoric' - Iran's president on Trump's un speech
- 20.09.2017Iran publicly hangs man for rape, murder of 7-year-old girl
- 20.09.2017Turkey mulling sanctions over Kurdish referendum
- 19.09.2017Turkish jets kill 3 PKK terrorists in northern Iraq
- 19.09.2017Iran says it will not renegotiate nuclear deal
- 19.09.2017Iraqi Turkmen leader: Barzani plans to annex Kirkuk to Kurdish region
- 19.09.2017Palestine: President, Hamas' Haniyeh talk on phone
- 19.09.2017North Korea: UN sanctions motivate acceleration of nuclear weapon development
- 19.09.2017Turkish president speaks with Iraqi PM on phone
- 18.09.2017Iraq Supreme Court orders suspension of Kurdistan referendum
- 17.09.2017Turkey names new head to religious affairs directorate
- 16.09.2017Car bomb kills one, wounds 10 in disputed Iraqi oil city
- 16.09.2017Iraqi army liberates ISIS-held Akashat town near Syria border
- 16.09.2017Rouhani urges EU to pressure US
- 15.09.2017Islamic State claims responsibility for London blast:
- 15.09.2017Turkish Deputy PM meets Rohingya group's head
- 15.09.2017Seoul holds emergency National Security meeting after North Korean missile test
- 15.09.2017North Korea fires missile over Japan that lands far out in the Pacific
- 14.09.2017At least 50 die in twin attacks in Iraq
- 14.09.2017Airstrikes kill 5 PKK terrorists in eastern Turkey
- 14.09.2017Malaysia’s prime minister calls Myanmar violence genocide
- 14.09.201725 dead in fire at religious school in Malaysia
- 14.09.2017Evacuated Islamic State fighters reach Syria's Deir al-Zor: pro-Damascus commander
- 14.09.2017North Korea accused of raising money by stealing bitcoins in hack attacks
- 13.09.2017Suicide bomb near cricket stadium in Afghan capital kills at least three
- 17.03.2017Syria government urges U.N. chief to avert 'looming dam catastrophe'
- 17.03.2017Japan launches IGS Radar-5 spy satellite
- 17.03.2017Traffic accidents kill 50 people in Iran in past two days
- 16.03.20172 militants killed in police raid in Bangladesh
- 16.03.2017Iraqi troops seize main bridge, advance on mosque in battle for Mosul
- 16.03.20176 killed, 13 injured as building collapses due to gas explosion in northern India