Afghan forces kill over 150 militants
Afghan forces killed more than 150 militants in counter-terrorism operations across the country, officials said Thursday, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
The Defense Ministry said in a statement that land and air forces killed 124 armed terrorists including a regional commander of a suicide attacker’s cell, during operations in 15 provinces.
The spy agency National Directorate of Security (NDS) said it had conducted 18 operations in which 68 militants were killed.
The statement by security forces comes as the war-ridden country has witnessed a surge in clashes, after security forces reclaimed Nawa district in Helmand province back from the Taliban last month.
Heavy clashes have been reported in the country from at least 22 fronts since last week, according to the Defense Ministry.
Brig. Mohammad Arif, a defense analyst, told Anadolu Agency that Kabul is keen to prove that it is leading in the war with terrorists.
“The U.S is busy planning a new strategy for Afghanistan, and the defense leadership is determined to convince them that they have the will and capability to take on terrorists,” he said.
Meanwhile, the Taliban have also intensified their campaign against the government to influence the U.S. strategy, he added.
Also on Thursday, Taliban claimed to have killed 32 security officials and overrunning six security check posts.
Related news releases
- 21.10.2017North Korea has the missile technology to destroy US carriers near its shores
- 21.10.2017Moscow welcomes any action to combat ISIL
- 21.10.2017Rockets strike downtown Kabul, no casualties reported
- 21.10.2017Iraqi forces take control of town in Mosul
- 21.10.2017Suicide bombers attack two Afghan mosques, at least 72 dead - UPDATED
- 21.10.2017Iranian commander issued stark warning to Iraqi Kurds over Kirkuk
- 20.10.2017Lebanon sentences 2 to death for 1982 assassination
- 20.10.2017North Korea says to continue nuclear tests
- 20.10.20171 police dies, 4 injured in northern Iraq attack
- 19.10.2017Erbil says ready to hold talks with Baghdad
- 19.10.2017Turkish jets kill 4 PKK terrorists in northern Iraq
- 19.10.2017North Korea warns U.S. could face 'unimaginable' strike
- 19.10.2017Taliban insurgents kill at least 40 soldiers in Afghanistan
- 18.10.2017North Korea building new ballistic missile submarine
- 18.10.2017Iraq's Kurd region halts preparations for Nov. 1 polls
- 18.10.2017Raqqa drone video shows the city in Ruins
- 18.10.2017Communist Party of China opens the 19th National Congress
- 18.10.2017North Korean official: We won’t negotiate until we can strike US east coast
- 17.10.20172 UAE pilots killed in Yemen crash
- 17.10.2017Raqqa: IS 'capital' falls to US-backed Syrian forces
- 17.10.2017At least 50 killed in Taliban attacks on Afghan police - UPDATED
- 17.10.2017Massive Us-South Korean naval war games begin near Korean peninsula
- 17.10.2017Four nations meet to resume stalled Afghan peace talks in Oman
- 17.10.2017Iraq forces seize main govt HQ in Kirkuk: Police source
- 16.10.2017Arshad Al-Salihi: Kirkuk under control of Iraqi army and federal police
- 15.10.2017ISIL linked leader trapped, heavy Philippine fighting
- 15.10.2017Islamic State loses al-Mayadeen in eastern Syria
- 14.10.2017Tomahawks near the DPRK serious challenge to Pyongyang
- 14.10.2017Turkmen militia, Peshmerga clash in northern Iraq
- 14.10.2017‘Closer to the trigger’: North Korea renews promise to bomb Guam if attacked
- 14.10.2017UAE says fully supports new U.S. policy against Iran
- 13.10.2017US president’s anti-Iran speech pile of delusional claims: Rouhani
- 13.10.2017Small Quake Rattles North Korea Nuclear Testing Grounds, Not Manmade: South Korea
- 13.10.2017Turkish military convoy enters Syria's Idlib
- 12.10.2017Iraq refuses talks with Kurds unless they commit to unity
- 12.10.2017Israel starts preparations to withdraw from UNESCO
- 11.10.2017Rouhani: Nuclear deal 'big test' for parties
- 11.10.2017US flies bombers over Korean peninsula with South Korean, Japanese fighter jets
- 11.10.2017UN gearing up for heavy influx of Rohingya Muslim refugees
- 11.10.2017Pyongyang: CIA tried to assassinate Kim Jong-un with biochemical weapon
- 04.08.2017Villagers killed in Myanmar's Rakhine state
- 04.08.2017Large fire rips through Dubai's Torch Tower - VİDEO
- 04.08.2017NATO soldier killed in Afghanistan convoy attack: coalition
- 03.08.2017Oil dips on high OPEC supplies, defying falling U.S. crude stocks
- 03.08.2017Iran says new U.S. sanctions violate nuclear deal, vows "proportional reaction"
- 02.08.2017Two U.S. troops killed in attack on convoy in Afghanistan