Afghan election chairman resigns
"Chairman of Independent Election Commission (IEC) Ahmad Yousuf Nuristani offered his resignation to President Mohammad Ashraf Ghani and the president accepted his resignation," the palace said in a statement.
The announcement came as the country is preparing for the upcoming parliamentary elections which is scheduled to be held on Oct. 15.
According to Afghan laws the elections for the Wolesi Jirga or Lower House of parliament had to be held in early last year. But the government failed to hold the polls due to insecurity and political issues over reforming the country's electoral laws and election system.
Over the past year, some members of Afghan civil society, local independent election watchdogs and some political parties have urged Nuristani to quit his office before the October polls. They blamed Nuristani for his failure to curb the widespread fraud during the 2014 presidential elections.
However, the statement noted that the decision was made by the former IEC chief as he"realized the political and social situation in Afghanistan, for national interests and for restoration of stability and prosperity of the Afghan people."
The first parliamentary election in the post-Taliban country was held on Sept. 18, 2005 while the second took place on Sept. 18, 2010.
Members of the 249-seat Wolesi Jirga will be elected to serve a five-year term.
Related news releases
- 20.06.2018Iran says no plans to increase missile range, rejects talks with Trump
- 20.06.2018North Korea expected to begin transferring remains of U.S. troops soon: officials
- 20.06.2018North Korea, China discuss 'true peace', denuclearization: KCNA
- 20.06.2018Uzbekistan starts direct negotiations with Taliban
- 20.06.2018Afghan president offers year of ceasefire to Taliban
- 19.06.2018Iran rules out OPEC deal as Russia, Saudi push for oil output hike
- 19.06.2018Russia, Saudi push for big hike in oil output despite Iran opposition
- 19.06.2018MERS kills scores in Saudi Arabia
- 19.06.2018North Korea's Kim in China; U.S., South Korea suspend military drill
- 19.06.2018US, Turkey start patrols in Manbij
- 19.06.2018Jordan’s king, Israeli PM hold discussions in Amman
- 18.06.2018Six Iraqis killed in Daesh ambush near Mosul: Official
- 18.06.2018US airstrikes kill 22 Hashd al-Shaabi fighters in Iraq
- 18.06.2018Turkish soldiers enter outer districts of north Syria's Manbij
- 16.06.2018Turkey hits 'critical gathering' of PKK in north Iraq
- 16.06.2018Blast taints cease-fire in Afghanistan, 20 killed
- 15.06.2018Yemen gov’t forces take Al-Hudaydah’s southern entrance
- 14.06.2018Kashmiri journalist shot dead
- 14.06.2018Moon celebrates peace as Koreas hold military talks
- 13.06.2018Arab states launch biggest assault of Yemen war with attack on main port
- 13.06.2018Russian military seize arms cache in Syria’s Homs province
- 13.06.2018Iraq: Al-Sadr allies with Fatah to form majority group
- 12.06.2018Trump: North Korea sanctions will remain, but ‘war games’ to end
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim sign document following Singapore meeting
- 12.06.2018Ex-NBA star Rodman bursts in tears after historic Trump, Kim handshake
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim complete extended format talks - UPDATED-1
- 12.06.2018U.S. unveils de facto embassy in Taiwan amid China tensions
- 12.06.2018Trump says summit with North Korea's Kim is 'very, very good'
- 12.06.2018North Korea's Kim visits Singapore's sky bar, gardens in surprise evening tour
- 12.06.2018Kim set a deadline for ending summit, prompting earlier exit by Trump
- 12.06.2018Qatar sues United Arab Emirates at UN rights court
- 11.06.2018Former NBA star Rodman arrives in Singapore for Trump-Kim summit
- 11.06.2018Turkey launches anti-PKK ops in Qandil Mountains – Erdogan
- 11.06.2018Iran warns North Korea of US breach of promise
- 10.06.2018Frenchman commits suicide at Mecca - VİDEO
- 10.06.2018Terrorist cell smashed in Northwestern Iran
- 10.06.2018Kim Jong-un Departs for Singapore Summit
- 10.06.2018Civilians killed in Houthi shelling of Saudi Arabia’s Jaza
- 09.06.201814 PKK terrorists ‘neutralized’ in southeastern Turkey
- 09.06.2018Turkish soldier succumbs to injuries after PKK clash
- 26.03.2016Thousands of Yemenis protest year-long coalition campaign
- 27.03.2016Tens of thousands protest Japanese PM’s plans to restart nuclear reactors
- 27.03.2016Four People Killed in Plane Crash in Japan
- 26.03.2016Hamas, Fatah delegations to meet in Qatar
- 26.03.2016Iran leading advocate of int’l anti-cyber terrorism combat – Foreign Ministry
- 26.03.2016Air ambulance helicopter crashes in Iran, killing 7