Afghan election chairman resigns
"Chairman of Independent Election Commission (IEC) Ahmad Yousuf Nuristani offered his resignation to President Mohammad Ashraf Ghani and the president accepted his resignation," the palace said in a statement.
The announcement came as the country is preparing for the upcoming parliamentary elections which is scheduled to be held on Oct. 15.
According to Afghan laws the elections for the Wolesi Jirga or Lower House of parliament had to be held in early last year. But the government failed to hold the polls due to insecurity and political issues over reforming the country's electoral laws and election system.
Over the past year, some members of Afghan civil society, local independent election watchdogs and some political parties have urged Nuristani to quit his office before the October polls. They blamed Nuristani for his failure to curb the widespread fraud during the 2014 presidential elections.
However, the statement noted that the decision was made by the former IEC chief as he"realized the political and social situation in Afghanistan, for national interests and for restoration of stability and prosperity of the Afghan people."
The first parliamentary election in the post-Taliban country was held on Sept. 18, 2005 while the second took place on Sept. 18, 2010.
Members of the 249-seat Wolesi Jirga will be elected to serve a five-year term.
Related news releases
- 16.01.2018PYD/PKK activities in Afrin seen from Turkish border
- 16.01.2018Japan apologizes for false North Korean missile alert
- 16.01.2018Militant ambush kills 5 paramilitary troops in Pakistan
- 16.01.2018Barzani's party to boycott election
- 15.01.2018North Korean orchestra to perform in South during Olympics amid easing tensions
- 15.01.2018Erdogan vows Turkey will crush 'terror army' in northern Syria
- 15.01.2018UAE says Qatari jet fighters intercepted civilian flights
- 14.01.2018Iraqi PM announces coalition for May election
- 14.01.2018South Korea and North Korea to hold working-level talks on January 15
- 14.01.20184 schoolchildren drown in India as boat capsizes
- 13.01.2018Turkish military convoy dispatched to Syrian border
- 13.01.2018Erdoğan says Turkey will clear border of YPG terrorists
- 13.01.2018Iran rejects Trump's call for changes to nuclear deal
- 13.01.2018Agenda of Nazarbayev-Trump talks revealed
- 13.01.2018Nearly 2,000 Palestinians clash with Israeli forces in Gaza, West Bank
- 12.01.2018Israel to close 7 diplomatic mission worldwide: Haaretz
- 12.01.2018Unidentified gunman kills 4 women in western Iran
- 11.01.2018Magnitude 4.7 earthquake hits western Iran
- 10.01.2018Iranian FM Zarif to visit Moscow today
- 10.01.2018UN Security Council to discuss humanitarian situation in Syria’s Raqqa at Russia’s request
- 09.01.2018Bomb hits police vehicle in Pakistan's Balochistan, 7 killed
- 09.01.2018Turkey summons Russian, Iranian envoys over Syria Safe Zone violation - UPDATED
- 09.01.2018Khamenei: Recent damage inflicted on Iran by U.S. will gain a response
- 09.01.2018Seoul-Pyongyang talks on participation of North Korea in Olympic Games kick off
- 08.01.2018Husseinali Amiri: "Development of relations with Azerbaijan is Iran's strategic policy"
- 08.01.20187 Houthi rebels killed in Yemen’s Taiz
- 08.01.2018Gun battle in Jammu Kashmir kills 3
- 07.01.2018Over 30 undocumented migrants held in Turkey
- 06.01.2018Eleven Saudi princes detained following protest over utility bills
- 06.01.2018Four policemen killed in blast in Jammu and Kashmir’s Sopore
- 06.01.2018Yemeni Chief of General Staff Injured in Mine Blast Near Saudi Border
- 06.01.2018Iran stages pro-government rallies, cleric urges firm punishment for protest leaders
- 05.01.2018North Korea agrees to talks after U.S., South Korea postpone military drills
- 05.01.2018UN experts urge Iran to respect rights of protesters, end internet crackdown
- 05.01.2018North Korea accepts January 9 talks offer from South Korea
- 05.01.2018Storm causes severe power outages in thousands of homes in New Zealand
- 05.01.2018Suicide attack kills 10 in Afghan capital
- 04.01.2018Envoy slams US attempts to intervene in Iran’s domestic affairs
- 04.01.2018Russia says two military personnel killed in Hmeymim airbase shelling on December 31
- 04.01.2018Iran officers killed by 'anti-revolutionaries': Report
- 26.03.2016Thousands of Yemenis protest year-long coalition campaign
- 27.03.2016Tens of thousands protest Japanese PM’s plans to restart nuclear reactors
- 27.03.2016Four People Killed in Plane Crash in Japan
- 26.03.2016Hamas, Fatah delegations to meet in Qatar
- 26.03.2016Iran leading advocate of int’l anti-cyber terrorism combat – Foreign Ministry
- 26.03.2016Air ambulance helicopter crashes in Iran, killing 7