Abe hails 'fresh start' to Japan-China ties after Xi meeting
Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and Chinese President Xi Jinping hailed a “fresh start” to the relationship between the countries after a meeting in Vietnam that saw them agree to work more closely on North Korea, APA reports citing Reuters.
The leaders met on the sidelines of the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) summit in the Vietnamese resort city of Danang.
“At the end of the meeting, President Xi said this is a meeting that marks a fresh start of relations between Japan and China. I totally feel the same way,” Abe told reporters.
Abe said he has proposed to visit China at an appropriate time, which would then be followed by a Xi visit to Japan.
At the meeting, the two countries agreed to deepen their cooperation on North Korea and to hold a trilateral summit with South Korea at the earliest possible date.
“With the North Korea situation at an important phase, the role China ought to play is very big,” Abe said.
China and Japan have also agreed to accelerate talks for an early implementation of a communication mechanism between their military forces, Abe said. He also proposed that Japan and China cooperate in doing business in third countries.
Related news releases
- 21.01.2018Rockets fired from Syria hit Turkish border city Kilis
- 21.01.2018China accuses US of violating maritime border in South China sea incident
- 21.01.2018Turkey informs UK, France, China on Afrin operation
- 20.01.2018Turkish aid body takes measures for civilians in Syria
- 20.01.2018Turkey’s bombers hit 108 targets of 113 designated in Syria’s Afrin - General Staff
- 20.01.2018Russian troops in Syria's Afrin moved to Tel Rifat
- 20.01.2018Hotel in Kabul comes under attack, hostages reportedly taken
- 20.01.2018Operation Olive Branch launched in Syria's Afrin to clear PKK, Daesh, Turkish military says
- 20.01.2018Turkish security forces hit PYD/PKK in Syria's Afrin
- 20.01.2018Rohingya refugee leaders draw up demands ahead of repatriation
- 20.01.2018Iran nuclear deal cannot survive if U.S. pulls out: Russia's Lavrov
- 19.01.20181,000 PYD/PKK terrorists deployed in Syria's Tal Abyad
- 19.01.2018Hezbollah accuses Israel of Sidon bombing
- 19.01.2018Pentagon training PYD/PKK-led ally as ‘hold force’
- 18.01.2018Bus catches fire in Kazakhstan, killing 52
- 18.01.2018Palestinian teen ordered held until end of Israeli military trial
- 18.01.2018North Korea rejects sanctions talk, ready for 'successful' Olympics: diplomat
- 17.01.2018Syria talks to be held in Vienna next week
- 17.01.2018North, South Korea to march together under one flag at Winter Olympics
- 17.01.2018Date set for Syrian National Dialogue Congress in Sochi
- 17.01.2018Iran’s President has called a top priority for the Islamic world
- 16.01.2018UN rapporteur on Myanmar to meet refugees in Bangladesh
- 16.01.2018PYD/PKK activities in Afrin seen from Turkish border
- 16.01.2018Japan apologizes for false North Korean missile alert
- 16.01.2018Militant ambush kills 5 paramilitary troops in Pakistan
- 16.01.2018Barzani's party to boycott election
- 15.01.2018North Korean orchestra to perform in South during Olympics amid easing tensions
- 15.01.2018Erdogan vows Turkey will crush 'terror army' in northern Syria
- 15.01.2018UAE says Qatari jet fighters intercepted civilian flights
- 14.01.2018Iraqi PM announces coalition for May election
- 14.01.2018South Korea and North Korea to hold working-level talks on January 15
- 14.01.20184 schoolchildren drown in India as boat capsizes
- 13.01.2018Turkish military convoy dispatched to Syrian border
- 13.01.2018Erdoğan says Turkey will clear border of YPG terrorists
- 13.01.2018Iran rejects Trump's call for changes to nuclear deal
- 13.01.2018Agenda of Nazarbayev-Trump talks revealed
- 13.01.2018Nearly 2,000 Palestinians clash with Israeli forces in Gaza, West Bank
- 12.01.2018Israel to close 7 diplomatic mission worldwide: Haaretz
- 12.01.2018Unidentified gunman kills 4 women in western Iran
- 11.01.2018Magnitude 4.7 earthquake hits western Iran
- 12.11.2017Russian combat engineers defuse over 400 explosive devices in Deir ez-Zor in 24 hours
- 13.11.201725 militants surrender to Syrian authorities in Aleppo province
- 13.11.2017Iran sticks to key limits of nuclear deal: U.N. watchdog report
- 11.11.2017Bahrain calls oil pipeline fire ‘a terrorist act’
- 11.11.2017North Korea not discussed in detail by Putin, Trump in Vietnam - Kremlin
- 11.11.2017Putin denies claims of Russia’s meddling efforts in US election at talks with Trump