Abe hails 'fresh start' to Japan-China ties after Xi meeting
Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and Chinese President Xi Jinping hailed a “fresh start” to the relationship between the countries after a meeting in Vietnam that saw them agree to work more closely on North Korea, APA reports citing Reuters.
The leaders met on the sidelines of the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) summit in the Vietnamese resort city of Danang.
“At the end of the meeting, President Xi said this is a meeting that marks a fresh start of relations between Japan and China. I totally feel the same way,” Abe told reporters.
Abe said he has proposed to visit China at an appropriate time, which would then be followed by a Xi visit to Japan.
At the meeting, the two countries agreed to deepen their cooperation on North Korea and to hold a trilateral summit with South Korea at the earliest possible date.
“With the North Korea situation at an important phase, the role China ought to play is very big,” Abe said.
China and Japan have also agreed to accelerate talks for an early implementation of a communication mechanism between their military forces, Abe said. He also proposed that Japan and China cooperate in doing business in third countries.
Related news releases
- 18.11.20173 PKK terrorists killed in northern Iraq
- 18.11.20176.9 magnitude earthquake hits southern China
- 18.11.2017Japan begins disposal of radioactive waste from Fukushima disaster
- 18.11.2017Hariri to leave Saudi Arabia for France on Friday: MP
- 17.11.2017World's first human head transplant carried out
- 17.11.2017Yemeni governor announces resignation
- 16.11.2017Pakistan's parliament restores finality of prophet law
- 16.11.2017Suicide bomber kills nine near Afghan political meeting
- 16.11.20172,200 cholera deaths recorded in Yemen since April: WHO
- 15.11.201748 terrorists killed, 13 villages taken in Iraq's Anbar
- 15.11.2017Opium production in Afghanistan hits record high: UN
- 15.11.2017East China road accident death toll rises to 18
- 15.11.2017Muslim state’s meddling in Lebanon ‘shameful’: Iran’s Rouhani
- 15.11.2017Indonesian police officer killed in shooting near Freeport mine
- 14.11.2017Syrian National Dialogue Congress to be held in early December
- 14.11.20175 PKK terrorists killed in southeastern Turkey
- 14.11.201722 policemen killed in Taliban group attack in Afghanistan
- 14.11.2017Air strikes kill 29 in market in northern Syria
- 14.11.2017Defecting North Korean soldier shot in back, survives to cross DMZ
- 14.11.2017Saudi Arabia to meet Syrian opposition next week
- 14.11.2017Army retakes 6 villages in western Iraq from Daesh
- 13.11.2017Strong earthquake hits Iran-Iraq border, kills about 450 - UPDATED-3
- 11.11.2017Jordan, Russia, US agree on de-escalation zone in Syria
- 11.11.2017Turkish court slaps 10 with jail terms over FETO links
- 11.11.2017IRGC warplane crashes in southern Iran - UPDATED
- 11.11.2017'No military solution to Syrian crisis’: Putin and Trump in joint statement
- 11.11.2017Saudi-Led coalition strikes Yemeni Mod after Houthis’ attack
- 11.11.2017Ex-Lebanon PM being ‘held’ by Saudi Arabia: Nasrallah
- 10.11.2017Abbas urges countries to recognize Palestine
- 09.11.2017Riyadh releases 7 detained in 'anti-corruption' sweep
- 09.11.2017Trump and Putin set to meet in Vietnam, Kremlin says
- 09.11.2017Pakistan: At least 24 killed in bus accident
- 09.11.2017Last Islamic State town in Syria falls to army: commander
- 08.11.2017Qatar plans to reopen embassy in Iraq soon - Foreign Minister
- 08.11.2017Saudi Arabia makes further anti-graft arrests: sources
- 08.11.2017Turkish Council of State dismisses member over FETO
- 08.11.2017Surveillance cameras installed on Turkish-Armenian border
- 08.11.2017Trump cancels surprise DMZ visit
- 08.11.2017One dead, another hospitalized after Australian helicopter crash
- 08.11.2017More than 125 migrants held in western Turkey
- 12.11.2017Russian combat engineers defuse over 400 explosive devices in Deir ez-Zor in 24 hours
- 13.11.201725 militants surrender to Syrian authorities in Aleppo province
- 13.11.2017Iran sticks to key limits of nuclear deal: U.N. watchdog report
- 11.11.2017Bahrain calls oil pipeline fire ‘a terrorist act’
- 11.11.2017North Korea not discussed in detail by Putin, Trump in Vietnam - Kremlin
- 11.11.2017Putin denies claims of Russia’s meddling efforts in US election at talks with Trump