Abbas to visit White House next month
President of the Palestinian Authority Mahmoud Abbas is to visit the White House next month to meet US President Donald Trump, APA reports quoting Sputnik.
The mid-April trip is being reported by Palestinian media, the Times of Israel notes, though no confirmation has come from the White House. Trump and Abbas spoke by phone last week, and the president extended an official invitation to visit Washington to the Palestinian leader at the time.
Trump's Middle East envoy Jason Greenblatt, meanwhile, has just finished a visit to Israel and the West Bank, where he met with Israeli and Palestinian officials and had an official meeting with the main Israeli settler organization, the Yesha Council.
The meeting with the Yesha Council is the highest level meeting ever held between the organization and a US aministration, the council said.
"Representatives from Yesha have met with [former US Secretary of State] John Kerry and others on the sidelines of events, but we have not had official meetings like this," Middle East Eye cites a spokesman as saying.
"The previous administration never met like this."
The council spokesman said Greenblatt, officially the president's special representative for international negotiations, reiterated Trump's position on settlements — to "hold back" on them for "a little bit" — and that they discussed the importance of establishing peace in the region.
During his meeting with Greenblatt, Abbas told Trump's representative that he believes a "historic" peace deal could be made under this US administration, and that a two-state solution remains Palestine's "strategic choice." He also said he was looking forward to discussing the issue with Trump in Washington.
Abbas promised to continue to fight Palestinian incitement, enhance security and improve the Palestinian economy, the Times of Israel reports. The Palestinian daily al-Quds reported that Greenblatt warned Abbas about efforts in the US Congress to put conditions on ending incitement — including the practice of paying stipends to the families of Palestinians killed in actions against Israel — on US aid to Palestine
Related news releases
- 22.04.2018Iran 'ready' to resume nuke program if US leaves deal
- 22.04.2018India seeks death penalty for child rapists
- 22.04.2018Saudi police: Riyadh's shooting targeted toy drone - UPDATED
- 22.04.2018Arms seized from militants shown in Syria’s Douma
- 22.04.2018Fears of a coup are sparked in Saudi Arabia after heavy gunfire erupts near the Royal Palace
- 21.04.2018PKK terror attack kills civilian in eastern Turkey
- 21.04.2018Japan’s Abe lauds North Korea move to end nuclear tests
- 21.04.2018Israeli troops kill four Palestinians in border protest
- 21.04.2018North Korea says will stop nuclear tests, scrap test site
- 21.04.2018Twenty killed in air strike in southwest Yemen: residents
- 21.04.2018Tehran warns Israel: Our ‘hands are on the trigger’
- 20.04.201829 Daesh terrorists killed in Iraq by airstrikes
- 20.04.2018Turkish court remands 3 senior FETO members
- 20.04.2018Four Saudi security forces killed by gunmen in southern province
- 19.04.2018U.N. team fired upon in Syria while visiting suspected chemical sites
- 18.04.2018Peace treaty with North Korea possible following denuclearization
- 18.04.2018Iranian helicopter crashes into Persian Gulf
- 17.04.2018Putin, Merkel discuss Syria — Kremlin
- 14.04.2018Rouhani, Assad hold phone conversation
- 14.04.2018Ali Khamenei accuses US, France and Britain of crime
- 14.04.2018Iranian FM: US, British, French aggression on Syria breaches international laws
- 14.04.2018Israel: Strikes in Syria an 'important signal' to Iran, Syria and Hezbollah
- 14.04.2018Syrian air defenses shot down 13 missiles: state TV
- 14.04.2018Israel says Iranian drone it shot down in February was carrying explosives
- 13.04.2018Russia claims chemical attack in Syria was 'staged and directed by UK'
- 12.04.2018Turkish army neutralizes 3 PKK/PYD-YPG terrorists
- 12.04.2018At least 16 killed by bombing to the north of Baghdad
- 12.04.2018Russian MFA: Israeli air force’s missile strikes on Syria coincident with intensified activities of ISIS
- 12.04.2018Erdogan: Supporters of murderous Assad and PYD are mistaken
- 12.04.2018Israel warns Iran not to test its determination
- 11.04.2018Saudi-led coalition says it does not seek permanent Yemen presence
- 10.04.2018Seven Myanmar soldiers sentenced to 10 years for Rohingya massacre
- 10.04.2018Iraq to take "all necessary measures" to prevent IS attacks from Syria, PM says
- 10.04.2018Iran’s Zarif dismisses Trump’s Syria chemical attack comments
- 10.04.2018Erdogan: Perpetrators of E. Ghouta massacre to pay 'heavy price'
- 10.04.20184 Saudi soldiers die along Yemen's border
- 10.04.2018North Korea tells U.S. it is prepared to discuss denuclearization
- 10.04.2018As prince visits, Saudi Aramco to sign $10 billion of deals in France
- 10.04.2018Syria: 15 reported killed, 36 injured in Idlib blast
- 09.04.2018Russian military: no traces of chemical attack in Syria's Douma
- 19.03.2017North Korea claims to have tested new high-thrust rocket engine
- 22.03.2017Iraqi forces take two more villages in W. Mosul: Army
- 23.03.2017Air strike kills more than 30 near Raqqa, Syrian Observatory says
- 19.03.2017SVCS: Diseased animals not imported from Armenia to Azerbaijan through Georgia
- 18.03.2017Death toll rises to 42 in airstrike off Yemen
- 17.03.2017Houthis 'kill 22 soldiers' in Yemen attack