8 killed, 3 missing in south China road collapse
Eight people have died and three remain missing in south China's Guangdong Province after a subway construction site was flooded and caused a major road to cave in, APA reports citing Xinhua .
The collapse happened around 8:40 p.m. Wednesday at the construction site of subway line two in Foshan, Guangdong. Eight people were killed on the spot, three are missing, and nine have been taken to hospital, according to the city government. The nine injured are in stable condition.
According to preliminary investigation, a sudden flood occurred at the construction site at 7 p.m. Wednesday, causing the road to cave in.
The collapse stretched more than 30 meters. Several cement slabs were broken and there is a large pit filled with mud, water, fallen trees, and street lights.
Local government said nearby water and power lines have been suspended for rescue work. Rivers have been dammed. Rescuers entered the tunnel to pump water out and search for missing workers. They also carried in ventilators to bring fresh air to the tunnel.
Related news releases
- 21.02.2018North Korea cancelled talks with US Vice President at Winter Olympics
- 21.02.2018Talks between Erbil, Baghdad reach final stages: PM
- 20.02.2018Russian Center for Syrian Reconciliation comes under massive fire
- 20.02.2018Palestine ready to exchange minor territories with Israel - Abbas
- 20.02.2018Turkish President: Syrian forces tried to enter Afrin, retreated after Turkey's shelling
- 20.02.2018YPG/PKK-Daesh terror groups shell Turkey's south Hatay
- 20.02.2018Maldives leader seeks approval to extend state of emergency
- 19.02.2018Three Iranian police killed in clashes with Sufi protesters
- 19.02.2018Islamic State kills 27 Iraqi militiamen near Kirkuk
- 19.02.2018Israel, Egypt sign $15bn natural gas purchase agreement
- 19.02.2018Kurdish region flight ban to be lifted soon: Iraqi PM
- 18.02.2018Daesh doesn’t represent Islam: Iraqi PM
- 18.02.20182 Turkish soldiers martyred, one injured in operations
- 17.02.2018Turkish, Iraqi PMs stress cooperation against terrorism
- 17.02.20184 Israeli troops injured by explosive device near Gaza
- 17.02.2018Turkish PM: 'We have given terrorist organizations the Ottoman slap'
- 16.02.2018PYD/PKK terrorist admits to posing as civilian
- 16.02.20187 Turkish soldiers injured in Operation Olive Branch
- 15.02.2018Indonesia charges Daesh-linked group for deadly bombing
- 15.02.2018Lebanese PM rule out Hezbollah alliance in May election
- 15.02.2018US secretary of state meets with Jordan king in Amman
- 14.02.2018Knesset rejects bill recognizing so-called Armenian Genocide
- 14.02.2018No cases of human infection with H5N6 bird flu reported in Iran – official
- 14.02.2018Over 20 undocumented migrants held in Turkey
- 14.02.2018Turkey's president speaks to Saudi counterpart
- 14.02.2018Taliban confirms senior leader killed by US air strike
- 14.02.2018İraqi Turkmen Front officer attacked in Kirkuk
- 13.02.2018Cyclone wreaks havoc in Tonga's capital, parliament flattened, homes wrecked
- 13.02.2018Russians killed in clash with U.S.-led forces in Syria, say associates
- 12.02.2018Israel's Netanyahu says discussing settlement annexation with U.S.
- 11.02.2018Netanyahu speaks to Russia’s Putin about Iran
- 11.02.2018Putin Urges Netanyahu to Avoid Escalation in Syria
- 10.02.201811 Turkish soldiers killed, 11 injured in Afrin - UPDATED
- 10.02.2018Hundreds protesting in Seoul against N. Korea's participation in Olympic
- 10.02.201815 PYD/PKK, Daesh terrorists neutralized in Afrin
- 10.02.2018Hong Kong bus overturns killing 18
- 10.02.201848 Daesh-linked suspects arrested across Turkey
- 10.02.201827 reported dead in bus crash in Indonesia
- 10.02.20182 Turkish pilots martyred in Syria helicopter crash
- 10.02.2018Turkish military, Free Syrian Army free another village
- 10.02.2018Pence avoids Olympics encounter with North Korean official as Korean athletes march together
- 10.02.2018South Korea's Moon hosts talks with North Korean leader's sister
- 10.02.2018North Korea's Kim Jong-un invites South Korean president to Pyongyang
- 09.02.2018Islamic State begins to earn money through online casinos
- 08.02.2018Airstrikes kill 54 civilians in Syria’s Eastern Ghouta
- 08.02.2018Erdogan, Rouhani hail increased cooperation on security - UPDATED