8 died, 2 injured in blaze in Cambodia's Siem Reap city
Baku-APA. Eight persons died and two others injured in a strong fire early Saturday in a night market in Cambodia's tourism hub Siem Reap city, Siem Reap provincial police chief Sath Nady said, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
"Four adults and four children were killed in the blaze, and other two men were seriously injured," he told Xinhua over telephone on Saturday morning. "The victims are vendors and their children who slept in their houses in the market when the accident occurred."
The accident happened at 2:00 a.m. local time and was completely extinguished at around 5:00 a.m., he said. Besides the human casualties, the fire destroyed hundreds of stalls in the market, which sold souvenir things to tourists.
"Electric fault was blamed for the accident," he said.
Siem Reap province houses the world heritage Angkor Wat temple, which is the country's largest cultural tourism destination. It is located some 315 kilometers northwest of Phnom Penh, the capital of Cambodia.
The cultural province attracted 1.64 million foreign visitors in the first ten months of this year, up 28 percent compared with the same period last year.
Related news releases
- 26.02.2017Largest mass grave with bodies of 4000 people found in Iraq
- 26.02.2017Damascus ready for direct talks with united opposition that condemns terrorism - Jaafari
- 26.02.2017In a blow, twin attacks on Syrian security kill at least 32
- 25.02.2017Iran official decries ‘sanctions’ on opposition figures
- 25.02.2017Ethiopia, South Sudan appeal for urgent int'l aid to drought affected people
- 24.02.2017Islamic State car bomb kills more than 50 in northwest Syria
- 24.02.2017Iraqi warplanes strike Daesh positions in Syria
- 24.02.2017Kim Jong-nam 'killed by VX nerve agent found on his face'
- 24.02.2017Syrian opponents meet for first time in three years
- 23.02.2017Iran ready to give U.S. 'Slap in the face': commander
- 23.02.2017Pakistan launches anti-terror operation across country
- 23.02.2017Daesh-appointed city governor killed in Iraqi airstrike
- 22.02.2017ISIS suicide bomber in Iraq was former Gitmo detainee
- 21.02.2017Suicide bombers in Pakistan kill five in attack on court
- 21.02.2017At least 7 killed in car bomb attack in Iraq's Baghdad
- 21.02.2017Five die as light plane crashes into mall in Australia
- 21.02.2017Trump's defense chief: 'We're not in Iraq to seize anybody's oil'
- 20.02.2017Four Russian servicemen killed in car blast in Syria
- 20.02.2017At least 14 killed in Philippine bus crash
- 18.02.2017Pakistan Armed Forces killed over 100 militants in 24 hours since shrine attack
- 18.02.2017China sees chance of six-party talks with North Korea
- 18.02.2017North Korea says will reject Malaysian post-mortem of Kim Jong Nam
- 17.02.2017ISIS kill 18 Afghan soldiers in attack on outpost
- 17.02.2017US' Tillerson calms allies on Syria ahead of Geneva talks
- 17.02.2017Three people found dead in water tank in Australia
- 17.02.2017Samsung heir facing South Korea arrest
- 16.02.2017Massive car bomb kills 55 in western Baghdad
- 16.02.2017At least 72 killed, 150 injured in SW Pakistan suicide attack - UPDATED
- 16.02.2017Assad says Trump travel ban targets terrorists, not Syria's people
- 16.02.2017Malaysia arrests second woman in suspected assassination of North Korean leader's half-brother
- 16.02.2017Coalition has no data to confirm reports of Iraqi strike on Daesh leader
- 16.02.2017Iraq car bombing kills 12 in capital
- 15.02.2017Knife-wielding attackers kill five in China's Xinjiang: govt
- 15.02.2017Protesters attack Lebanese TV channel headquarters
- 14.02.2017North Korea says missile launch 'self-defense', U.S. demands action
- 14.02.2017Iran president to visit Oman, Kuwait this week
- 14.02.2017At least eight killed by explosion in coal mine in southeastern China
- 13.02.2017Pakistan gets its first woman foreign secretary
- 13.02.2017Blast kills at least 13 in Pakistani city of Lahore, 83 injured - UPDATED-1
- 13.02.201732 killed in Taiwan tour bus accident
- 08.12.20123 Men executed in Iran
- 08.12.2012Pakistani President’s visit to Iran postponed
- 08.12.2012Gazans rally with exiled Hamas chief
- 08.12.2012Bahrain: Shiite clerics must 'prohibit' violence
- 08.12.2012Hamas chief's Gaza visit poses challenge to Israel
- 08.12.20125.8 magnitude quake hits New Zealand's North Island