8 died, 2 injured in blaze in Cambodia's Siem Reap city
Baku-APA. Eight persons died and two others injured in a strong fire early Saturday in a night market in Cambodia's tourism hub Siem Reap city, Siem Reap provincial police chief Sath Nady said, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
"Four adults and four children were killed in the blaze, and other two men were seriously injured," he told Xinhua over telephone on Saturday morning. "The victims are vendors and their children who slept in their houses in the market when the accident occurred."
The accident happened at 2:00 a.m. local time and was completely extinguished at around 5:00 a.m., he said. Besides the human casualties, the fire destroyed hundreds of stalls in the market, which sold souvenir things to tourists.
"Electric fault was blamed for the accident," he said.
Siem Reap province houses the world heritage Angkor Wat temple, which is the country's largest cultural tourism destination. It is located some 315 kilometers northwest of Phnom Penh, the capital of Cambodia.
The cultural province attracted 1.64 million foreign visitors in the first ten months of this year, up 28 percent compared with the same period last year.
Related news releases
- 23.05.2017US forces killed seven al-Qaeda militants during raid in Yemen
- 23.05.2017Trump says concerns about Iran driving Israel, Arab states closer
- 23.05.2017North Korea says missile ready for mass production, U.S. questions progress
- 23.05.2017South Korea says Pyongyang’s new missile not capable of reaching US territory
- 23.05.2017Coalition raid kills Daesh militants in Iraq’s W. Mosul
- 23.05.2017Cholera death toll in Yemen rises to 350
- 22.05.2017Turkish military kills 4 PKK terrorists in N. Iraq
- 22.05.2017Rouhani says regional stability impossible without Iran
- 22.05.2017Trump: 'Iran will never have a nuclear weapon'
- 22.05.2017Cholera outbreak claims 315 lives in Yemen
- 22.05.2017Tehran slams Trump’s speech in Saudi Arabia
- 21.05.20174 suspected Baloch separatists killed in SW Pakistan
- 20.05.2017Indian court acquits Muslim scholar in train blast case
- 20.05.2017US, Saudi Arabia sign $110B arms deal amid Trump visit
- 20.05.2017Hassan Rouhani says Iran wants interaction with the world
- 20.05.20176 dead as armed militants storm bank in Afghanistan
- 20.05.2017Iranian Interior Ministry: Hassan Rouhani wins presidential elections
- 20.05.2017Trump arrives in Saudi Arabia in first foreign trip
- 20.05.2017Hassan Rouhani re-elected as Iranian president
- 20.05.2017Magnitude 5.9 quake strikes off Philippines
- 20.05.2017At least 13 killed in Iraq car bombings
- 20.05.2017Rouhani leads Iran presidential race, expected to win: source
- 20.05.2017North Korea's UN envoy slams 'hostile' US policy
- 20.05.20173 Iraqi soldiers killed in southern Basra city
- 20.05.2017Polls close in Iran presidential election
- 19.05.2017Landmine blast claims 11 lives in Afghanistan
- 19.05.2017Iran presidential election: Voting time extended 2 hours
- 19.05.2017Two dead, several missing as bridge collapses in India
- 19.05.2017Iran’s first VP urges respect for election results
- 19.05.20175 ISIL suspects arrested in Istanbul
- 18.05.2017ISIL attacks Syrian Deir ez-Zor with rockets, kill 3 civilians
- 18.05.2017US coalition strike on Syrian army occurred within established Safe Zone
- 17.05.2017Pakistan protests with UN team over Indian shelling
- 17.05.2017Workers trapped after methane gas explosion in Turkey
- 17.05.2017Pyongyang developing missiles faster than Seoul expected
- 17.05.2017OPEC suffers decline in export revenues: EIA
- 16.05.2017Death toll from China truck-bus crash rises to 12
- 15.05.2017North Korea vows missile tests 'any time, any place', defying U.S. warnings
- 15.05.2017Iraq’s al-Sadr urges Tehran, Riyadh to engage in talks
- 14.05.2017Suspected ransomware attack at southeast Ireland's healthcare facility
- 08.12.20123 Men executed in Iran
- 08.12.2012Pakistani President’s visit to Iran postponed
- 08.12.2012Gazans rally with exiled Hamas chief
- 08.12.2012Bahrain: Shiite clerics must 'prohibit' violence
- 08.12.2012Hamas chief's Gaza visit poses challenge to Israel
- 08.12.20125.8 magnitude quake hits New Zealand's North Island