8 died, 2 injured in blaze in Cambodia's Siem Reap city
Baku-APA. Eight persons died and two others injured in a strong fire early Saturday in a night market in Cambodia's tourism hub Siem Reap city, Siem Reap provincial police chief Sath Nady said, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
"Four adults and four children were killed in the blaze, and other two men were seriously injured," he told Xinhua over telephone on Saturday morning. "The victims are vendors and their children who slept in their houses in the market when the accident occurred."
The accident happened at 2:00 a.m. local time and was completely extinguished at around 5:00 a.m., he said. Besides the human casualties, the fire destroyed hundreds of stalls in the market, which sold souvenir things to tourists.
"Electric fault was blamed for the accident," he said.
Siem Reap province houses the world heritage Angkor Wat temple, which is the country's largest cultural tourism destination. It is located some 315 kilometers northwest of Phnom Penh, the capital of Cambodia.
The cultural province attracted 1.64 million foreign visitors in the first ten months of this year, up 28 percent compared with the same period last year.
Related news releases
- 30.03.2017Court decides whether to arrest ousted South Korean president Park
- 30.03.2017Suicide truck bomb kills at least 17 in south Baghdad: police - UPDATED
- 29.03.2017Iraqi forces battle toward landmark Mosul mosque
- 28.03.2017Russia, Iran express support for Damascus’ efforts to combat terrorism
- 28.03.2017North Korea tests rocket engine: U.S. officials
- 28.03.2017Hong Kong protest leaders charged day after new leader chosen
- 27.03.2017At least 11 dead in suicide bombing and gun attack in southern Yemen
- 27.03.2017At least 112 bodies found at site of US-led coalition's airstrike in Iraqi Mosul
- 26.03.2017ISIL militants kill three civilians in Afghanistan
- 25.03.201768 violators detained during riots in Bishkek
- 25.03.2017Senior Hamas leader shot dead in Gaza
- 25.03.201710 dead in central China mine accidents
- 25.03.2017Iran criticizes renewal of UN special rapporteur's mission: spokesman
- 25.03.2017Russian, U.S. defense officials discuss air safety over Syria
- 24.03.2017Bomber blows himself up near Bangladesh's principal airport in Dhaka
- 24.03.2017Turkey announces North Korea-related asset freeze
- 24.03.2017Italy deports 25th extremist since beginning of 2017
- 23.03.2017Next step against İSİS is Raqqah offensive
- 23.03.2017North Korea missile test fails, U.S. and South say, as tensions simmer
- 23.03.2017Air strike kills more than 30 near Raqqa, Syrian Observatory says
- 22.03.2017Iraqi forces take two more villages in W. Mosul: Army
- 19.03.2017North Korea claims to have tested new high-thrust rocket engine
- 19.03.2017Abbas to visit White House next month
- 19.03.2017SVCS: Diseased animals not imported from Armenia to Azerbaijan through Georgia
- 18.03.2017Death toll rises to 42 in airstrike off Yemen
- 17.03.2017Houthis 'kill 22 soldiers' in Yemen attack
- 17.03.2017Traffic accidents kill 50 people in Iran in past two days
- 17.03.2017Japan launches IGS Radar-5 spy satellite
- 17.03.2017Syria government urges U.N. chief to avert 'looming dam catastrophe'
- 17.03.2017Air attack kills 58 civilians in Aleppo mosque
- 16.03.20172 militants killed in police raid in Bangladesh
- 16.03.2017Iraqi troops seize main bridge, advance on mosque in battle for Mosul
- 16.03.20176 killed, 13 injured as building collapses due to gas explosion in northern India
- 16.03.2017US seeking ‘serious’ Mideast talks: Palestinian FM
- 16.03.2017Car bomb attack kills at least 4 in Tikrit, Iraq
- 15.03.2017Explosion hits Palace of Justice in Damascus, multiple casualties reported
- 15.03.201790% of Mosul Retaken from Daesh - Police Chief
- 14.03.2017Two killed in fireworks blaze in central Israel
- 14.03.2017New round of intra-Syrian talks kicks off in Astana
- 14.03.20175.9 magnitude quake hits western Indonesia, no tsunami alert issued
- 08.12.20123 Men executed in Iran
- 08.12.2012Pakistani President’s visit to Iran postponed
- 08.12.2012Gazans rally with exiled Hamas chief
- 08.12.2012Bahrain: Shiite clerics must 'prohibit' violence
- 08.12.2012Hamas chief's Gaza visit poses challenge to Israel
- 08.12.20125.8 magnitude quake hits New Zealand's North Island