8 died, 2 injured in blaze in Cambodia's Siem Reap city
Baku-APA. Eight persons died and two others injured in a strong fire early Saturday in a night market in Cambodia's tourism hub Siem Reap city, Siem Reap provincial police chief Sath Nady said, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
"Four adults and four children were killed in the blaze, and other two men were seriously injured," he told Xinhua over telephone on Saturday morning. "The victims are vendors and their children who slept in their houses in the market when the accident occurred."
The accident happened at 2:00 a.m. local time and was completely extinguished at around 5:00 a.m., he said. Besides the human casualties, the fire destroyed hundreds of stalls in the market, which sold souvenir things to tourists.
"Electric fault was blamed for the accident," he said.
Siem Reap province houses the world heritage Angkor Wat temple, which is the country's largest cultural tourism destination. It is located some 315 kilometers northwest of Phnom Penh, the capital of Cambodia.
The cultural province attracted 1.64 million foreign visitors in the first ten months of this year, up 28 percent compared with the same period last year.
Related news releases
- 08.12.20168.0-magnitude quake hits 63km WSW of Kirakira, Solomon Islands
- 08.12.2016Syrian army suspends combat operations in Aleppo - Lavrov
- 08.12.2016Nusra Front militants requesting evacuation from Aleppo
- 08.12.2016Death toll reaches 99 in Indonesia quake
- 08.12.201611 confirmed dead in central China mine accident
- 08.12.2016Trump picks longtime friend of Beijing as U.S. ambassador to China
- 08.12.2016Daesh loses last hold in Libya, US says
- 08.12.2016Israel's Netanyahu gives conditional 'No' to meeting Palestinian president in Paris
- 08.12.2016Dozens killed in west Iraq air strike, MPs and medics say
- 07.12.2016'No survivors' after plane crash in northern Pakistan mountains
- 07.12.2016Syrian troops take full control over 47 quarters of eastern Aleppo
- 07.12.2016Pakistani plane with 47 people aboard crashes - UPDATED
- 07.12.2016Car bomb attack leaves two Turkish soldiers dead in Syria's al-Bab
- 07.12.2016Russian colonel killed in Aleppo shelling by opposition militants
- 07.12.2016Indonesia earthquake kills at least 54 people - VIDEO - UPDATED
- 06.12.2016Syrian government forces advance on 2 fronts in Aleppo
- 06.12.2016Saudi Court Sentences 15 Men to Death for Spying for Iran
- 06.12.2016Iranian speaker: Good prospects for further development of Iran-Azerbaijan ties
- 06.12.2016Iranian billionaire Babak Zanjani’s death sentence may be revoked
- 06.12.2016Indian Air Force plane carrying president to Chennai returns to Delhi after mid-air snag
- 06.12.201611 trapped in central China mine accident
- 06.12.2016Islamic State urges supporters to stage new wave of attacks
- 06.12.2016West Mosul shelled as Iraq steps up fight against Islamic State
- 06.12.2016Israeli legislators advance revised bill to legalize settlements
- 05.12.2016French PM Valls makes presidential bid, quits government
- 05.12.2016Russian female doctor killed in Aleppo hospital shelling
- 03.12.2016Malaysia says Myanmar violence against Muslim Rohingya 'ethnic cleansing'
- 03.12.2016South Korea opposition introduces bill to impeach scandal-tainted Park
- 03.12.2016Philippines' Duterte gets Trump White House invite during 'animated' call
- 02.12.2016Iran says U.S. extension of sanctions act violates nuclear deal
- 02.12.2016Iran develops bill banning import of US-made goods
- 02.12.2016Japan to impose additional sanctions on North Korea
- 01.12.2016Attack on military camp forces India to expedite tech
- 01.12.2016Thailand's crown prince becomes country's new king
- 01.12.2016Training plane crashes in Iran
- 01.12.2016Lavrov: Air strikes on Turkish soldiers carried out by neither Russia nor Syria
- 01.12.2016Another Abian para; case suspected in central Japan
- 30.11.2016U.N. imposes new sanctions on North Korea to slash cash from exports
- 30.11.2016Erdogan discusses Syrian issue with Putin over telephone
- 30.11.2016SKorea opposition parties discuss when to impeach president
- 08.12.20123 Men executed in Iran
- 08.12.2012Pakistani President’s visit to Iran postponed
- 08.12.2012Gazans rally with exiled Hamas chief
- 08.12.2012Bahrain: Shiite clerics must 'prohibit' violence
- 08.12.2012Hamas chief's Gaza visit poses challenge to Israel
- 08.12.20125.8 magnitude quake hits New Zealand's North Island