8 died, 2 injured in blaze in Cambodia's Siem Reap city
Baku-APA. Eight persons died and two others injured in a strong fire early Saturday in a night market in Cambodia's tourism hub Siem Reap city, Siem Reap provincial police chief Sath Nady said, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
"Four adults and four children were killed in the blaze, and other two men were seriously injured," he told Xinhua over telephone on Saturday morning. "The victims are vendors and their children who slept in their houses in the market when the accident occurred."
The accident happened at 2:00 a.m. local time and was completely extinguished at around 5:00 a.m., he said. Besides the human casualties, the fire destroyed hundreds of stalls in the market, which sold souvenir things to tourists.
"Electric fault was blamed for the accident," he said.
Siem Reap province houses the world heritage Angkor Wat temple, which is the country's largest cultural tourism destination. It is located some 315 kilometers northwest of Phnom Penh, the capital of Cambodia.
The cultural province attracted 1.64 million foreign visitors in the first ten months of this year, up 28 percent compared with the same period last year.
Related news releases
- 19.08.2017Yemen violence worsening, more access to north needed: U.N.
- 17.08.2017Suicide blast in Gaza kills police officer, hurts five
- 17.08.2017Iranian president urges EU to step up efforts in nuclear deal implementation
- 17.08.2017Kyrgyz opposition leader convicted ahead of election
- 16.08.2017Detained Iran opposition leader goes on hunger strike
- 16.08.2017Afghanistan, Pakistan agree on need to restore trust
- 16.08.2017Mass graves found after Afghan forces recapture Shia village from Taliban
- 16.08.2017Turkish military kills 3 PKK terrorists in Iraq
- 16.08.2017North Korea delays Guam missile firing, U.S. says dialogue up to Kim
- 15.08.2017Syrian Military Jet Crashes in Suwayda Province - UPDATED
- 15.08.2017Philippines, ASEAN urge dialogue with North Korea
- 15.08.2017Fighting between Moro groups in Philippines kills 25
- 15.08.2017North Korea delays plan to fire missiles toward Guam
- 15.08.2017Iran appoints chief of influential expediency council
- 14.08.2017Blast kills six in Pakistan's southwest
- 14.08.2017Turkish jets kill 13 PKK terrorists in N. Iraq
- 13.08.2017Quake of magnitude 6.5 strikes off Indonesian island of Sumatra
- 13.08.20178 PKK terrorists killed in southeast Turkey
- 13.08.2017Bomb kills at least 15 in Pakistani city of Quetta
- 12.08.2017Former Afghan police chief jailed on corruption charges
- 12.08.2017Laos to withdraw troops from disputed border area with Cambodia
- 12.08.2017Flooding kills 11 in Iran’s northeast, west
- 12.08.201730 children die in hospital in northern India: medical official
- 11.08.2017Myanmar: Swine flu deaths go up to 23
- 11.08.2017U.S.-led coalition targets IS financial centers
- 11.08.201736 dead, 13 injured in NW China road accident
- 10.08.2017Counterterror operations kill 6 PKK terrorists
- 10.08.2017Bomb attack kills politician in Yemen
- 10.08.2017EU broadens sanction list agaisnt DPRK amid U.S.-DPRK war of words
- 10.08.2017South Korea threatens to retaliate against North’s provocations
- 10.08.2017North Korea Calls Trump Impossible to Communicate With
- 10.08.2017Up to 50 teen migrants 'deliberately drowned' off Yemen
- 10.08.2017Islamic State threatens new attacks in Iran
- 10.08.2017Poll to achieve ‘separation from Iraq’: Kurdish leader
- 09.08.2017UN envoy holds talks with Yemeni president in Riyadh
- 09.08.2017Death toll in southwest China earthquake rises to nine, 135 injured - UPDATED
- 09.08.2017U.S.-led coalition strikes kill 29 civilians in Syria
- 08.08.2017Number of powerful China quake victims rises to 88
- 08.08.20175 killed as 7.0-magnitude quake hits SW China
- 08.08.2017Turkey begins building border wall with Iran
- 08.12.20123 Men executed in Iran
- 08.12.2012Pakistani President’s visit to Iran postponed
- 08.12.2012Gazans rally with exiled Hamas chief
- 08.12.2012Bahrain: Shiite clerics must 'prohibit' violence
- 08.12.2012Hamas chief's Gaza visit poses challenge to Israel
- 08.12.20125.8 magnitude quake hits New Zealand's North Island