5 traffic police, 5 civilians killed in renewed fighting in Myanmar
At least five traffic police officers and five civilians were killed in a renewed fighting in Myanmar's northeastern Shan State Monday between government forces and a local armed group, the Office of the State Counselor's Office said, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
Four other traffic officers were also taken away as hostages by the Kokang's Myanmar National Democratic Alliance Army (MNDAA) after the armed group launched attacks on Laukkai, a main town in the Kokang region of the state, the office said in a press release.
MNDAA started to launch attacks at 0200 a.m. local time (1930 GMT Sunday) Monday morning with small and heavy weapons, destroying some residential buildings, hotels and military camps and burning vehicles, the release said.
In one offensive, about 30-strong MNDAA, disguising as police members, attacked the Yanlongkyait police camp from the south but was counter-attacked by the government forces.
Later, about 50-strong MNDAA shot at the residence of U Wai San, member of the Kokang Self-Administered Zone Administration and a hotel in Laukkai at 0230 a.m.local time. Four vehicles of the hotel were destroyed and the cash counter was robbed until 0510 a.m. when the government troops intervened. The MNDAA later retreated to the east of the border.
The Myanmar government troops are making area clearance operation following the incident, the released said.
The government claimed 20 burned bodies from the Kokang side, it added.
Related news releases
- 23.07.2017Dozens of IS militants killed in air raid: Iraqi forces
- 23.07.2017North Korea says South will pay 'Harshest' price for challenging missile tests
- 23.07.20177 killed, 2 injured in Guangzhou tower crane collapse
- 23.07.2017Iran seizes Saudi vessel in Persian Gulf, arrests crew
- 22.07.2017Iran announces new missile production line
- 22.07.2017U.S. air strike kills Afghan forces in friendly-fire incident
- 22.07.2017Three Israelis stabbed to death in West Bank settlement
- 22.07.2017Palestinians suspend official contacts with Israel: president
- 21.07.2017Israeli health officials move to ban smoking in public places
- 21.07.2017Qatar open to talks with Arab states to resolve crisis – Foreign Minister
- 21.07.2017State Dept. urges calm at Al-Aqsa
- 21.07.201730 percent of Raqqah cleared of Daesh: US
- 20.07.2017Israeli and Turkish presidents had a phone talk
- 20.07.2017Iran ambassador ordered to leave Kuwait over spy case
- 20.07.2017Kuwait closes Iran cultural mission, expels diplomats
- 20.07.201716 security personnel killed in Afghanistan
- 20.07.2017Chinese army mobilizes military assets to Tibet following live fire drills
- 19.07.2017Pakistani army: '8 dead' in new border clash with India
- 19.07.2017Over 330,000 killed in Syrian war – monitor
- 19.07.2017North Korea conducts public executions for theft, watching South Korea media
- 19.07.2017Trump’s strategy on Iran ‘doesn’t exist’ just like rest of US foreign policy
- 19.07.2017Egyptian security forces kill prominent Islamic State militant in North Sinai
- 18.07.2017Spokesman: His brother’s arrest won’t influence Rouhani’s will
- 18.07.2017Iranian FM: Independence referendum in Iraqi Kurdistan is a wrong choice
- 18.07.2017Chinese ships warned to leave after entering Japanese waters
- 18.07.2017Challenges remain after Mosul liberation: UN envoy
- 17.07.2017Iranian president's brother hospitalized on second day of detention
- 15.07.2017Benghazi airport reopens after three-year closure during war
- 15.07.2017One dead, 4 injured in Tehran subway brawl
- 15.07.2017Clashes between Iraq's Army, Daesh militants resume in West Mosul
- 14.07.2017Head of Islamic State in Afghanistan killed: Pentagon
- 13.07.2017US Geological Survey detects 5.8 magnitude earthquake off South Korea coast
- 13.07.2017Top U.S. diplomat ends talks in Gulf; no sign Qatar crisis resolved
- 12.07.2017Saudi crown prince discusses defense ties with Turkish minister
- 12.07.2017Russia's Lavrov: show me at least one fact Moscow meddled in U.S. election
- 12.07.2017Trillion ton iceberg breaks away from Antarctic shelf
- 12.07.2017Taliban gunmen kill 7 in Afghanistan
- 12.07.2017S. Korea, US, Japan military officials agree to put maximum pressure on N. Korea
- 11.07.2017Saudi Arabia executes four people convicted of terrorism in Qatif
- 11.07.2017Landslide kills 16 in northeast India
- 14.07.2017China's most prominent dissident dies
- 14.07.2017Daesh Militants Declare Iraqi Tal Afar Independent State From Caliphate - Media
- 14.07.2017Two Israeli policemen shot dead near Jerusalem holy site, gunmen killed
- 13.07.2017Turkish forces kill 8 PKK terrorists in southeast
- 13.07.2017Oil prices dip as OPEC expects less demand for its crude
- 13.07.2017Suicide bomber kills and injures scores in Syria's Idlib province