3 killed in Pakistan-India border clashes
Pakistan Friday accused Indian border forces of resorting to "unprovoked" firing which killed three persons, including an army soldier, and injured four others along the disputed Kashmir border.
"Indian troops resorted to an unprovoked cease-fire violation along the Line of Control [the imaginary border that divides Kashmir between Pakistan and India] in Rakhchikri, Rawalakot targeting the civil population with heavy weapons," a Pakistan army spokesman said in a statement.
As a result, he said, two civilians -- including a woman -- were killed, while one civilian was injured.
Later, an army patrol assisting in the evacuation of civilian casualties also came under Indian army fire, resulting in the death of one soldier while three others were injured, the spokesman added.
"Pakistan army troops gave a fitting response to Indian army posts which engaged the civil population," he said, adding that there were reports of casualties on the Indian side but declined to give specifics.
Nearly 150 people -- both civilians and soldiers -- from the two sides have been killed in a series of border clashes over the last year following a brazen militant attack on an army camp in Indian-held Kashmir which killed 19 Indian soldiers.
Related news releases
- 18.01.2018Bus catches fire in Kazakhstan, killing 52
- 18.01.2018Palestinian teen ordered held until end of Israeli military trial
- 18.01.2018North Korea rejects sanctions talk, ready for 'successful' Olympics: diplomat
- 17.01.2018Syria talks to be held in Vienna next week
- 17.01.2018North, South Korea to march together under one flag at Winter Olympics
- 17.01.2018Date set for Syrian National Dialogue Congress in Sochi
- 17.01.2018Iran’s President has called a top priority for the Islamic world
- 16.01.2018UN rapporteur on Myanmar to meet refugees in Bangladesh
- 16.01.2018PYD/PKK activities in Afrin seen from Turkish border
- 16.01.2018Japan apologizes for false North Korean missile alert
- 16.01.2018Militant ambush kills 5 paramilitary troops in Pakistan
- 16.01.2018Barzani's party to boycott election
- 15.01.2018North Korean orchestra to perform in South during Olympics amid easing tensions
- 15.01.2018Erdogan vows Turkey will crush 'terror army' in northern Syria
- 15.01.2018UAE says Qatari jet fighters intercepted civilian flights
- 14.01.2018Iraqi PM announces coalition for May election
- 14.01.2018South Korea and North Korea to hold working-level talks on January 15
- 14.01.20184 schoolchildren drown in India as boat capsizes
- 13.01.2018Turkish military convoy dispatched to Syrian border
- 13.01.2018Erdoğan says Turkey will clear border of YPG terrorists
- 13.01.2018Iran rejects Trump's call for changes to nuclear deal
- 13.01.2018Agenda of Nazarbayev-Trump talks revealed
- 13.01.2018Nearly 2,000 Palestinians clash with Israeli forces in Gaza, West Bank
- 12.01.2018Israel to close 7 diplomatic mission worldwide: Haaretz
- 12.01.2018Unidentified gunman kills 4 women in western Iran
- 11.01.2018Magnitude 4.7 earthquake hits western Iran
- 10.01.2018Iranian FM Zarif to visit Moscow today
- 10.01.2018UN Security Council to discuss humanitarian situation in Syria’s Raqqa at Russia’s request
- 09.01.2018Bomb hits police vehicle in Pakistan's Balochistan, 7 killed
- 09.01.2018Turkey summons Russian, Iranian envoys over Syria Safe Zone violation - UPDATED
- 09.01.2018Khamenei: Recent damage inflicted on Iran by U.S. will gain a response
- 09.01.2018Seoul-Pyongyang talks on participation of North Korea in Olympic Games kick off
- 08.01.2018Husseinali Amiri: "Development of relations with Azerbaijan is Iran's strategic policy"
- 08.01.20187 Houthi rebels killed in Yemen’s Taiz
- 08.01.2018Gun battle in Jammu Kashmir kills 3
- 07.01.2018Over 30 undocumented migrants held in Turkey
- 06.01.2018Eleven Saudi princes detained following protest over utility bills
- 06.01.2018Four policemen killed in blast in Jammu and Kashmir’s Sopore
- 06.01.2018Yemeni Chief of General Staff Injured in Mine Blast Near Saudi Border
- 06.01.2018Iran stages pro-government rallies, cleric urges firm punishment for protest leaders
- 30.11.20176 killed, 23 injured as strong winds, heavy rains lash Sri Lanka
- 01.12.2017Earthquake of magnitude 6.3 strikes eastern Iran
- 02.12.2017Seoul says North Korea puts Washington in range, but needs to prove critical technology
- 30.11.2017North Korea says tests most advanced missile yet; U.S. mainland in range
- 29.11.2017OPEC+ discusses extending oil production limits deal by 6, 9 months — Iraqi oil minister
- 29.11.2017North Korea launches ballistic missile