28 Houthis killed in shelling, airstrikes: Yemeni army
At least 28 Houthi fighters were killed on Monday in Saudi-led coalition airstrikes and artillery barrages by the Yemeni army in the northwestern Hajjah province near the Saudi border, according to the Yemeni army, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
"Our military forces today shelled Houthi positions in the Midi district of Hajjah province, killing eight Houthi militants," the army’s information center said in a statement published on its official Facebook page.
"Meanwhile, the [Saudi-led] Arab air coalition at noon the same day targeted a number of Houthi concentrations in the Hiran directorate of Hajjah province, killing at least 20," the statement added without elaborating.
Houthi spokesmen, for their part, have yet to comment on the army’s assertions.
Yemen has remained in a state of civil war since 2014, when Houthi rebels and forces loyal to former President Ali Abdullah Saleh overran capital Sanaa and other parts of the country.
The conflict escalated in 2015 when Saudi Arabia and its Arab allies launched a wide-ranging air campaign aimed at reversing Houthi military gains and shoring up Yemen’s Saudi-backed government.
Related news releases
- 25.03.2018Turkmenistan to go to polls on Sunday
- 25.03.2018More than 260 undocumented migrants held in Turkey
- 24.03.2018Explosion in Afghan capital reportedly kills 1, injures 9
- 24.03.2018Car bomb rips through crowd at Afghan wrestling match
- 24.03.2018Seoul says North Korea agrees to hold high-level inter-Korea talks on March 29
- 24.03.2018China's Liu He says China ready to defend its interests in trade spat with U.S.
- 23.03.2018Yemen’s Houthis claim to fire missile into Saudi Arabia
- 23.03.2018Luxury tenement fire in Vietnam' HCM City kills 13
- 23.03.2018Military personnel martyred in plane crash in Turkey - UPDATED
- 22.03.2018Military training aircraft crashes in central Turkey
- 22.03.2018Turkey, Free Syrian Army clear 4 more villages in Afrin
- 20.03.2018Daesh kills one officer, injures two in northern Iraq
- 18.03.2018Iran security service arrest close ally of ex-president Ahmadinejad
- 17.03.2018Turkish troops reunite in Afrin's north
- 17.03.2018China's parliament re-elects Xi Jinping as president
- 16.03.2018Iran won’t renegotiate 2015 nuke deal: Deputy FM
- 16.03.2018U.S. military helicopter crashes in Iraq with seven aboard
- 14.03.2018Explosion kills 9 in northeast Pakistan
- 14.03.2018Deputy of ex-Iranian president remanded in custody
- 14.03.2018Two civilians killed in Damascus in shelling by militants
- 13.03.2018Iranian official blames UK for London embassy incident
- 13.03.2018Israeli PM Netanyahu urges feuding coalition to remain intact
- 12.03.2018At least 50 dead as Bangladeshi passenger plane crashes at Kathmandu airport - UPDATED-2
- 11.03.2018Military vehicle crash in Turkey martyrs one soldier
- 11.03.2018So-called leaders of YPG/PKK 'fleeing' Afrin
- 10.03.2018Iran expresses protest to UK over incident with embassy in London – FM
- 10.03.20188 terrorists 'neutralized' this week in Turkey, N Iraq
- 10.03.2018North Korean state media quiet on Kim Jong Un's overtures to Trump
- 09.03.2018Iranian farmers stage protest in drought-hit Isfahan
- 08.03.2018Israel will always control Jordan Valley: Netanyahu
- 08.03.2018Military storage unit in Iran explodes
- 08.03.2018Israel's El Al seeks U.N. help in bid to fly through Saudi airspace
- 07.03.2018Suicide bomber kills Muslim official in Afghan city
- 07.03.2018Ex-Iran leader warns of mounting public 'disaffection'
- 07.03.2018Terrorists force Afrin residents to dig ditches
- 07.03.20181 killed in car bomb blast in Syria's Al-Bab
- 06.03.2018Russian transport plane crashes in Syria
- 06.03.2018Wedding party truck plunges off a bridge in India, killing 25
- 06.03.2018Koreas reach 'satisfactory' agreement
- 06.03.2018Iran: We can resume enriching weapons-grade uranium in 'less than 48 hours'
- 14.03.2017Syrian war monitor says 465,000 killed in six years of fighting
- 14.03.20175.9 magnitude quake hits western Indonesia, no tsunami alert issued
- 14.03.2017New round of intra-Syrian talks kicks off in Astana
- 13.03.2017UNICEF: 652 children were killed in Syria last year
- 11.03.2017Expelled South Korean president hides from crowds
- 11.03.2017Attack on military air base in southeastern Afghanistan