28 Houthis killed in shelling, airstrikes: Yemeni army
At least 28 Houthi fighters were killed on Monday in Saudi-led coalition airstrikes and artillery barrages by the Yemeni army in the northwestern Hajjah province near the Saudi border, according to the Yemeni army, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
"Our military forces today shelled Houthi positions in the Midi district of Hajjah province, killing eight Houthi militants," the army’s information center said in a statement published on its official Facebook page.
"Meanwhile, the [Saudi-led] Arab air coalition at noon the same day targeted a number of Houthi concentrations in the Hiran directorate of Hajjah province, killing at least 20," the statement added without elaborating.
Houthi spokesmen, for their part, have yet to comment on the army’s assertions.
Yemen has remained in a state of civil war since 2014, when Houthi rebels and forces loyal to former President Ali Abdullah Saleh overran capital Sanaa and other parts of the country.
The conflict escalated in 2015 when Saudi Arabia and its Arab allies launched a wide-ranging air campaign aimed at reversing Houthi military gains and shoring up Yemen’s Saudi-backed government.
Related news releases
- 23.05.2017Cholera death toll in Yemen rises to 350
- 22.05.2017Turkish military kills 4 PKK terrorists in N. Iraq
- 22.05.2017Rouhani says regional stability impossible without Iran
- 22.05.2017Trump: 'Iran will never have a nuclear weapon'
- 22.05.2017Cholera outbreak claims 315 lives in Yemen
- 22.05.2017Tehran slams Trump’s speech in Saudi Arabia
- 21.05.20174 suspected Baloch separatists killed in SW Pakistan
- 20.05.2017Indian court acquits Muslim scholar in train blast case
- 20.05.2017US, Saudi Arabia sign $110B arms deal amid Trump visit
- 20.05.2017Hassan Rouhani says Iran wants interaction with the world
- 20.05.20176 dead as armed militants storm bank in Afghanistan
- 20.05.2017Iranian Interior Ministry: Hassan Rouhani wins presidential elections
- 20.05.2017Trump arrives in Saudi Arabia in first foreign trip
- 20.05.2017Hassan Rouhani re-elected as Iranian president
- 20.05.2017Magnitude 5.9 quake strikes off Philippines
- 20.05.2017At least 13 killed in Iraq car bombings
- 20.05.2017Rouhani leads Iran presidential race, expected to win: source
- 20.05.2017North Korea's UN envoy slams 'hostile' US policy
- 20.05.20173 Iraqi soldiers killed in southern Basra city
- 20.05.2017Polls close in Iran presidential election
- 19.05.2017Landmine blast claims 11 lives in Afghanistan
- 19.05.2017Iran presidential election: Voting time extended 2 hours
- 19.05.2017Two dead, several missing as bridge collapses in India
- 19.05.2017Iran’s first VP urges respect for election results
- 19.05.20175 ISIL suspects arrested in Istanbul
- 18.05.2017ISIL attacks Syrian Deir ez-Zor with rockets, kill 3 civilians
- 18.05.2017US coalition strike on Syrian army occurred within established Safe Zone
- 17.05.2017Pakistan protests with UN team over Indian shelling
- 17.05.2017Workers trapped after methane gas explosion in Turkey
- 17.05.2017Pyongyang developing missiles faster than Seoul expected
- 17.05.2017OPEC suffers decline in export revenues: EIA
- 16.05.2017Death toll from China truck-bus crash rises to 12
- 15.05.2017North Korea vows missile tests 'any time, any place', defying U.S. warnings
- 15.05.2017Iraq’s al-Sadr urges Tehran, Riyadh to engage in talks
- 14.05.2017Suspected ransomware attack at southeast Ireland's healthcare facility
- 14.05.2017At least 3 killed, 225 injured in earthquake in northeastern Iran - UPDATED
- 14.05.2017States should abandon belligerent rhetoric to overcome global stagnation — Putin
- 14.05.2017North Korea missile flew about 700 kilometers, - UPDATED
- 14.05.2017North Korea launches presumed ballistic missile
- 13.05.2017Iranian Security Forces foil terror act plotted by Espionage group
- 14.03.2017Syrian war monitor says 465,000 killed in six years of fighting
- 14.03.20175.9 magnitude quake hits western Indonesia, no tsunami alert issued
- 14.03.2017New round of intra-Syrian talks kicks off in Astana
- 13.03.2017UNICEF: 652 children were killed in Syria last year
- 11.03.2017Expelled South Korean president hides from crowds
- 11.03.2017Attack on military air base in southeastern Afghanistan