28 Houthis killed in shelling, airstrikes: Yemeni army
At least 28 Houthi fighters were killed on Monday in Saudi-led coalition airstrikes and artillery barrages by the Yemeni army in the northwestern Hajjah province near the Saudi border, according to the Yemeni army, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
"Our military forces today shelled Houthi positions in the Midi district of Hajjah province, killing eight Houthi militants," the army’s information center said in a statement published on its official Facebook page.
"Meanwhile, the [Saudi-led] Arab air coalition at noon the same day targeted a number of Houthi concentrations in the Hiran directorate of Hajjah province, killing at least 20," the statement added without elaborating.
Houthi spokesmen, for their part, have yet to comment on the army’s assertions.
Yemen has remained in a state of civil war since 2014, when Houthi rebels and forces loyal to former President Ali Abdullah Saleh overran capital Sanaa and other parts of the country.
The conflict escalated in 2015 when Saudi Arabia and its Arab allies launched a wide-ranging air campaign aimed at reversing Houthi military gains and shoring up Yemen’s Saudi-backed government.
Related news releases
- 25.03.201710 dead in central China mine accidents
- 25.03.2017Iran criticizes renewal of UN special rapporteur's mission: spokesman
- 25.03.2017Russian, U.S. defense officials discuss air safety over Syria
- 24.03.2017Bomber blows himself up near Bangladesh's principal airport in Dhaka
- 24.03.2017Turkey announces North Korea-related asset freeze
- 24.03.2017Italy deports 25th extremist since beginning of 2017
- 23.03.2017Next step against İSİS is Raqqah offensive
- 23.03.2017North Korea missile test fails, U.S. and South say, as tensions simmer
- 23.03.2017Air strike kills more than 30 near Raqqa, Syrian Observatory says
- 22.03.2017Iraqi forces take two more villages in W. Mosul: Army
- 19.03.2017North Korea claims to have tested new high-thrust rocket engine
- 19.03.2017Abbas to visit White House next month
- 19.03.2017SVCS: Diseased animals not imported from Armenia to Azerbaijan through Georgia
- 18.03.2017Death toll rises to 42 in airstrike off Yemen
- 17.03.2017Houthis 'kill 22 soldiers' in Yemen attack
- 17.03.2017Traffic accidents kill 50 people in Iran in past two days
- 17.03.2017Japan launches IGS Radar-5 spy satellite
- 17.03.2017Syria government urges U.N. chief to avert 'looming dam catastrophe'
- 17.03.2017Air attack kills 58 civilians in Aleppo mosque
- 16.03.20172 militants killed in police raid in Bangladesh
- 16.03.2017Iraqi troops seize main bridge, advance on mosque in battle for Mosul
- 16.03.20176 killed, 13 injured as building collapses due to gas explosion in northern India
- 16.03.2017US seeking ‘serious’ Mideast talks: Palestinian FM
- 16.03.2017Car bomb attack kills at least 4 in Tikrit, Iraq
- 15.03.2017Explosion hits Palace of Justice in Damascus, multiple casualties reported
- 15.03.201790% of Mosul Retaken from Daesh - Police Chief
- 14.03.2017Two killed in fireworks blaze in central Israel
- 11.03.2017South Korean court throws president out of office; two die in protest
- 10.03.2017Seven PKK terrorists killed in SE Turkey
- 10.03.2017Tehran welcomes Chinese offer to mediate with Riyadh
- 10.03.2017South Korean court throws president out of office, two dead in protest
- 10.03.2017Impeachment of South Korean president approved by constitutional court
- 09.03.2017Iran successfully test-fires Hormuz-2 ballistic missile
- 07.03.2017Policeman shot dead in eastern Saudi Arabia
- 07.03.2017Japan, US leaders agree to hold 2+2 format talks amid N. Korean missile launches
- 07.03.2017North Korea says temporarily bans Malaysians from leaving the country
- 07.03.2017U.S. starts deploying THAAD system in South Korea after North Korea missile test
- 07.03.20175 traffic police, 5 civilians killed in renewed fighting in Myanmar
- 07.03.2017Four protesters killed, dozens injured in south eastern Nepal
- 06.03.2017One more Russian serviceman reported dead in Syria
- 14.03.2017Syrian war monitor says 465,000 killed in six years of fighting
- 14.03.20175.9 magnitude quake hits western Indonesia, no tsunami alert issued
- 14.03.2017New round of intra-Syrian talks kicks off in Astana
- 13.03.2017UNICEF: 652 children were killed in Syria last year
- 11.03.2017Expelled South Korean president hides from crowds
- 11.03.2017Attack on military air base in southeastern Afghanistan