22 militants killed in US air raid in Afganistan
Up to 22 militants, including at least eight fighters associated with the Jamaat ul-Ahrar (JuA), a splinter group of Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) were killed and several others wounded in a military operation carried out by U.S. and Afghan forces in eastern Afghanistan, officials said on Saturday,APA reports quoting AA.
Attaullah Khogyani, spokesman for the provincial government in Nangarhar, told Anadolu Agency the airstrike was carried out in the Lal Pura district of the province bordering Pakistan’s restive tribal belt. He said 15 local pro-Daesh rebels and eight Pakistani militants were killed in the fifth such raid in as many days
Bordering Pakistan’s Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA), the southern parts of Nangarhar province of Afghanistan are believed to be the strongest bastions of the pro-Daesh fighters origins in the country.
"Our eight militants, including two key commanders Adil Bacha and Wali Khan, were killed and several others wounded in the operation," Asad Mansure, spokesman of JuA said in a statement.
Adil Bacha was said to be behind several suicide attacks carried out in Pakistan.
The statement further said that the Afghan forces had killed six other commanders in recent operations carried out in Nangarhar last month.
The JuA group has claimed responsibility for numbers of attacks in Pakistan, including a suicide bombing on July 24, in southeastern Pakistan’s Lahore, which killed 25 people.
Related news releases
- 18.01.2018Bus catches fire in Kazakhstan, killing 52
- 18.01.2018Palestinian teen ordered held until end of Israeli military trial
- 18.01.2018North Korea rejects sanctions talk, ready for 'successful' Olympics: diplomat
- 17.01.2018Syria talks to be held in Vienna next week
- 17.01.2018North, South Korea to march together under one flag at Winter Olympics
- 17.01.2018Date set for Syrian National Dialogue Congress in Sochi
- 17.01.2018Iran’s President has called a top priority for the Islamic world
- 16.01.2018UN rapporteur on Myanmar to meet refugees in Bangladesh
- 16.01.2018PYD/PKK activities in Afrin seen from Turkish border
- 16.01.2018Japan apologizes for false North Korean missile alert
- 16.01.2018Militant ambush kills 5 paramilitary troops in Pakistan
- 16.01.2018Barzani's party to boycott election
- 15.01.2018North Korean orchestra to perform in South during Olympics amid easing tensions
- 15.01.2018Erdogan vows Turkey will crush 'terror army' in northern Syria
- 15.01.2018UAE says Qatari jet fighters intercepted civilian flights
- 14.01.2018Iraqi PM announces coalition for May election
- 14.01.2018South Korea and North Korea to hold working-level talks on January 15
- 14.01.20184 schoolchildren drown in India as boat capsizes
- 13.01.2018Turkish military convoy dispatched to Syrian border
- 13.01.2018Erdoğan says Turkey will clear border of YPG terrorists
- 13.01.2018Iran rejects Trump's call for changes to nuclear deal
- 13.01.2018Agenda of Nazarbayev-Trump talks revealed
- 13.01.2018Nearly 2,000 Palestinians clash with Israeli forces in Gaza, West Bank
- 12.01.2018Israel to close 7 diplomatic mission worldwide: Haaretz
- 12.01.2018Unidentified gunman kills 4 women in western Iran
- 11.01.2018Magnitude 4.7 earthquake hits western Iran
- 10.01.2018Iranian FM Zarif to visit Moscow today
- 10.01.2018UN Security Council to discuss humanitarian situation in Syria’s Raqqa at Russia’s request
- 09.01.2018Bomb hits police vehicle in Pakistan's Balochistan, 7 killed
- 09.01.2018Turkey summons Russian, Iranian envoys over Syria Safe Zone violation - UPDATED
- 09.01.2018Khamenei: Recent damage inflicted on Iran by U.S. will gain a response
- 09.01.2018Seoul-Pyongyang talks on participation of North Korea in Olympic Games kick off
- 08.01.2018Husseinali Amiri: "Development of relations with Azerbaijan is Iran's strategic policy"
- 08.01.20187 Houthi rebels killed in Yemen’s Taiz
- 08.01.2018Gun battle in Jammu Kashmir kills 3
- 07.01.2018Over 30 undocumented migrants held in Turkey
- 06.01.2018Eleven Saudi princes detained following protest over utility bills
- 06.01.2018Four policemen killed in blast in Jammu and Kashmir’s Sopore
- 06.01.2018Yemeni Chief of General Staff Injured in Mine Blast Near Saudi Border
- 06.01.2018Iran stages pro-government rallies, cleric urges firm punishment for protest leaders
- 29.11.2017OPEC+ discusses extending oil production limits deal by 6, 9 months — Iraqi oil minister
- 30.11.2017North Korea says tests most advanced missile yet; U.S. mainland in range
- 30.11.2017Hamas, Fatah delay unity govt till Dec. 10
- 28.11.2017Four arrested in Turkey for stealing 700-Year old Torah scroll
- 28.11.201711 dead as cyclone hits Indonesia’s south
- 28.11.2017Indonesia extends Bali airport closure due to Agung eruption