22 militants killed in US air raid in Afganistan
Up to 22 militants, including at least eight fighters associated with the Jamaat ul-Ahrar (JuA), a splinter group of Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) were killed and several others wounded in a military operation carried out by U.S. and Afghan forces in eastern Afghanistan, officials said on Saturday,APA reports quoting AA.
Attaullah Khogyani, spokesman for the provincial government in Nangarhar, told Anadolu Agency the airstrike was carried out in the Lal Pura district of the province bordering Pakistan’s restive tribal belt. He said 15 local pro-Daesh rebels and eight Pakistani militants were killed in the fifth such raid in as many days
Bordering Pakistan’s Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA), the southern parts of Nangarhar province of Afghanistan are believed to be the strongest bastions of the pro-Daesh fighters origins in the country.
"Our eight militants, including two key commanders Adil Bacha and Wali Khan, were killed and several others wounded in the operation," Asad Mansure, spokesman of JuA said in a statement.
Adil Bacha was said to be behind several suicide attacks carried out in Pakistan.
The statement further said that the Afghan forces had killed six other commanders in recent operations carried out in Nangarhar last month.
The JuA group has claimed responsibility for numbers of attacks in Pakistan, including a suicide bombing on July 24, in southeastern Pakistan’s Lahore, which killed 25 people.
Related news releases
- 15.07.2018Indonesian police shoot dead three suspected militants
- 15.07.2018Rouhani: "The US ‘more isolated than ever’ over Iran sanctions"
- 14.07.2018At least 10 killed by landslide in northern Myanmar
- 14.07.2018Velayati: Russia wants to create joint electrical grid with Iran, Azerbaijan
- 14.07.2018China floods wreak havoc, block roads and railways
- 14.07.2018Palestinian teenager killed in Israel-Gaza border protests
- 13.07.2018Suicide bomber kills 128 in attack on Pakistani election rally
- 13.07.2018Former Pakistani premier Sharif arrested in Lahore
- 13.07.2018Indian planes carrying more than 300 people avoid mid-air collision by 200 feet
- 12.07.2018FBI Presents New Details on Lead Up to Saddam Hussein's Interrogation
- 12.07.2018Kim Jong-un: "Extraordinary efforts' made by Trump for improving US-N Korea ties
- 11.07.2018Iran Supreme Leader's aide hails 'strategic' ties with Russia before Putin talks
- 11.07.201812 killed in election rally in NW Pakistan
- 10.07.2018Death toll in Japan flood disaster rises to 156
- 10.07.2018Last remaining kid, coach evacuated from Thai cave - media
- 10.07.2018At least 140 dead after heavy rain and landslides in Japan
- 09.07.2018Death toll rises to 126 in W. Japan after flood, rain
- 08.07.2018Japan floods and heavy rain leave at least 41 dead, dozens missing - UPDATED
- 07.07.2018North Korea regrets US stance at talks
- 07.07.2018Iran calls for EU help as shipping giant pulls out for fear of U.S. sanctions
- 07.07.2018Insider attack in S. Afghanistan kills 1 US serviceman, injures 2 others - NATO - UPDATED
- 07.07.2018Indian army kills 3 civilians in southern Kashmir
- 07.07.2018Both sides seek to 'clarify' as Pompeo holds second day of North Korea talks
- 07.07.2018No breakthrough in nuclear talks as Iran demands more after U.S. exit
- 07.07.2018Israeli air strike hits Syria at Golan frontier
- 07.07.2018Palestinian killed as Gaza protests against Israel enter fourth month
- 07.07.2018Second Saudi teen kills self after playing online game
- 06.07.2018Iranian leader describes EU proposals to save JCPOA as ‘disappointing’
- 05.07.2018German Coalition parties reach deal on Migration
- 05.07.2018Iranian FM summons German, French, Belgian diplomats
- 05.07.2018Pakistani court sends fake degree mill owner to jail
- 04.07.2018Iraq urges world countries to repatriate Islamic State children
- 04.07.20184.3-magnitude earthquake hits southern Iran
- 02.07.2018Thai rescue teams find 13 missing in cave alive
- 02.07.20184 PKK terrorists neutralized in SE Turkey
- 01.07.2018Three settlements in Syria’s southwest de-escalation zone join ceasefire
- 01.07.2018Explosive device detonates near school in Syrian city of Al Hasakah
- 30.06.2018Iran still awaits for EU proposals on preserving nuclear deal - Tehran
- 30.06.2018Turkish army 'neutralizes' 2 PKK terrorists
- 30.06.2018'Enemy Seeking Discord in Iran,' Khamenei Warns
- 02.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev viewed works done in Damirchi village in Shamakhi
- 02.10.2017Suicide bombers kill at least 17 in Damascus
- 03.10.2017Over 20 Daesh terrorists killed in SDF operations in Syrian main battlefields
- 30.09.201711 PKK terrorists killed in southeastern Turkey
- 30.09.2017China's Xi says study capitalism, but Marxism remains top
- 30.09.2017North Korea threatens to shoot down US Planes that enter its airspace