2018 Winter Olympics: Drinking water from Pyeongchang Olympic area infected with virus
The 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang faces their first medical emergency after some staff was hospitalized due to abdominal discomfort, koreaboo reported.
According to reports, the number of security personnel, from the Olympic staff accommodation, complaining of similar symptoms increased over the past four days.
As of February 5, 36 people were infected and diagnosed with Norovirus. The virus notoriously occurs during the winter and brings on symptoms such as diarrhea, fever, vomiting, and chills within two days of infection.
Those who complained of abdominal pain were temporarily isolated, as the virus can be easily spread and transmitted.
A security official suspected water from the accommodation as the main source.
An official of the organizing committee released this statement about the incident:
“It is estimated to be caused by the failure of the groundwater recycling equipment used for drinking water.”
Another report, however, revealed that the infection started from a cooking staff infected with the virus, which later on spread to the rest of the personnel in the accommodation.
In consultation with the International Olympic Committee, the local government will carry out epidemic prevention for all of the athletes and cooperate in possible control activities such as emergency quarantine measures.
Related news releases
- 23.05.2018Israeli air strikes target boat moored in Gaza
- 23.05.2018North Korea allows South Korea reporters to visit nuclear site
- 23.05.2018Saudi Arabia expands crackdown on women's rights activists
- 23.05.2018Iraqi PM rules out fresh polls amid rigging allegations
- 22.05.2018Iran ‘ready to return to pre-nuke deal era’: Official
- 22.05.2018Airstrike neutralizes 6 PKK terrorists in E. Turkey
- 22.05.20182 Turkish soldiers martyred in northern Iraq
- 22.05.2018Over 60 die of heatstroke in Pakistan's largest city
- 21.05.2018Palestine’s Abbas to leave hospital soon: PLO official
- 21.05.2018Vietnam says Chinese bombers in disputed South China Sea increase tensions
- 21.05.2018Iran's presence in Syria at Damascus' demand: Tehran
- 20.05.2018South Korea's LG Group chairman dies at 73
- 20.05.2018Mushrooms Poison Hundreds in Iran
- 19.05.2018China to increase purchase of US goods to support employment in US - White House - UPDATED
- 19.05.2018Blasts at Afghan cricket match kill eight spectators
- 19.05.2018Blasts at Afghan sports stadium kill as many as eight-officials
- 19.05.2018Two North Koreans including a soldier defect to South Korea
- 18.05.2018Iran calls on Muslims to revise trade ties with U.S. after Jerusalem move
- 18.05.2018Saudi Arabia, UAE, Russia to discuss oil supplies following US withdrawal from JCPOA
- 18.05.2018Russia, Syria can start work to rebuild Syrian economy, says Putin
- 17.05.20185 suspected bombers killed in southwest Pakistan
- 16.05.2018Israel summons Turkey's charge d'affaires
- 16.05.2018Israel says Hamas curbed Gaza protests after Egyptian warning
- 16.05.2018Turkish parliament speaker: Gulf states should influence Trump in Palestinian issue
- 16.05.2018DPRK says not interested in negotiations that require only denuclearization - UPDATED
- 16.05.2018Seven dead, 30 feared trapped after part of flyover collapses in Indian city
- 16.05.2018Seoul regrets Pyongyang's decision to suspend high level inter-Korean talks
- 15.05.2018Iran wants guarantees from EU that JCPOA would be beneficial for It - Zarif
- 15.05.2018Israel asks Turkish envoy in Palestine to leave country
- 15.05.2018N Korea suspends talks with South over their joint drills with US
- 15.05.2018Palestinian leader Abbas hospitalized for surgery
- 15.05.2018Palestinian Death Toll in Gaza Rises to 59 - UPDATED
- 15.05.2018Fiery cleric Sadr taps anger over Iran to lead Iraq poll
- 15.05.2018Hezbollah says rocket attack on Israeli-occupied Golan marks 'new phase'
- 15.05.2018Netanyahu calls Israeli actions in Gaza self-defense against Hamas
- 14.05.2018Kuwait seeks UN Securtity Council meeting over Gaza
- 14.05.2018Oil gains on OPEC report; U.S. crude discount to Brent deepens
- 14.05.2018At least 52 Palestinians killed by Israeli army at Gaza border - UPDATED-4
- 14.05.2018U.S. embassy opens in Jerusalem
- 13.05.2018Daesh-inspired group carried out deadly suicide attacks in Indonesia
- 06.02.2018Turkey makes PYD/PKK's 4-km ditch in Syria unusable
- 06.02.2018Strong Taiwan quake topples buildings
- 06.02.2018Russian trade representative building bombed in Damascus
- 06.02.2018China says carries out another anti-missile test
- 06.02.2018PYD/PKK attack kills civilian in northern Syria
- 06.02.2018Hopes for talks grow with North Korea's ceremonial leader to visit South Korea for Olympics