2018 Winter Olympics: Drinking water from Pyeongchang Olympic area infected with virus
The 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang faces their first medical emergency after some staff was hospitalized due to abdominal discomfort, koreaboo reported.
According to reports, the number of security personnel, from the Olympic staff accommodation, complaining of similar symptoms increased over the past four days.
As of February 5, 36 people were infected and diagnosed with Norovirus. The virus notoriously occurs during the winter and brings on symptoms such as diarrhea, fever, vomiting, and chills within two days of infection.
Those who complained of abdominal pain were temporarily isolated, as the virus can be easily spread and transmitted.
A security official suspected water from the accommodation as the main source.
An official of the organizing committee released this statement about the incident:
“It is estimated to be caused by the failure of the groundwater recycling equipment used for drinking water.”
Another report, however, revealed that the infection started from a cooking staff infected with the virus, which later on spread to the rest of the personnel in the accommodation.
In consultation with the International Olympic Committee, the local government will carry out epidemic prevention for all of the athletes and cooperate in possible control activities such as emergency quarantine measures.
Related news releases
- 21.02.2018North Korea cancelled talks with US Vice President at Winter Olympics
- 21.02.2018Talks between Erbil, Baghdad reach final stages: PM
- 20.02.2018Russian Center for Syrian Reconciliation comes under massive fire
- 20.02.2018Palestine ready to exchange minor territories with Israel - Abbas
- 20.02.2018Turkish President: Syrian forces tried to enter Afrin, retreated after Turkey's shelling
- 20.02.2018YPG/PKK-Daesh terror groups shell Turkey's south Hatay
- 20.02.2018Maldives leader seeks approval to extend state of emergency
- 19.02.2018Three Iranian police killed in clashes with Sufi protesters
- 19.02.2018Islamic State kills 27 Iraqi militiamen near Kirkuk
- 19.02.2018Israel, Egypt sign $15bn natural gas purchase agreement
- 19.02.2018Kurdish region flight ban to be lifted soon: Iraqi PM
- 18.02.2018Daesh doesn’t represent Islam: Iraqi PM
- 18.02.20182 Turkish soldiers martyred, one injured in operations
- 17.02.2018Turkish, Iraqi PMs stress cooperation against terrorism
- 17.02.20184 Israeli troops injured by explosive device near Gaza
- 17.02.2018Turkish PM: 'We have given terrorist organizations the Ottoman slap'
- 16.02.2018PYD/PKK terrorist admits to posing as civilian
- 16.02.20187 Turkish soldiers injured in Operation Olive Branch
- 15.02.2018Indonesia charges Daesh-linked group for deadly bombing
- 15.02.2018Lebanese PM rule out Hezbollah alliance in May election
- 15.02.2018US secretary of state meets with Jordan king in Amman
- 14.02.2018Knesset rejects bill recognizing so-called Armenian Genocide
- 14.02.2018No cases of human infection with H5N6 bird flu reported in Iran – official
- 14.02.2018Over 20 undocumented migrants held in Turkey
- 14.02.2018Turkey's president speaks to Saudi counterpart
- 14.02.2018Taliban confirms senior leader killed by US air strike
- 14.02.2018İraqi Turkmen Front officer attacked in Kirkuk
- 13.02.2018Cyclone wreaks havoc in Tonga's capital, parliament flattened, homes wrecked
- 13.02.2018Russians killed in clash with U.S.-led forces in Syria, say associates
- 12.02.2018Israel's Netanyahu says discussing settlement annexation with U.S.
- 11.02.2018Netanyahu speaks to Russia’s Putin about Iran
- 11.02.2018Putin Urges Netanyahu to Avoid Escalation in Syria
- 10.02.201811 Turkish soldiers killed, 11 injured in Afrin - UPDATED
- 10.02.2018Hundreds protesting in Seoul against N. Korea's participation in Olympic
- 10.02.201815 PYD/PKK, Daesh terrorists neutralized in Afrin
- 10.02.2018Hong Kong bus overturns killing 18
- 10.02.201848 Daesh-linked suspects arrested across Turkey
- 10.02.201827 reported dead in bus crash in Indonesia
- 10.02.20182 Turkish pilots martyred in Syria helicopter crash
- 10.02.2018Turkish military, Free Syrian Army free another village
- 06.02.2018Turkey makes PYD/PKK's 4-km ditch in Syria unusable
- 06.02.2018Strong Taiwan quake topples buildings
- 06.02.2018Russian trade representative building bombed in Damascus
- 06.02.2018China says carries out another anti-missile test
- 06.02.2018PYD/PKK attack kills civilian in northern Syria
- 06.02.2018Hopes for talks grow with North Korea's ceremonial leader to visit South Korea for Olympics