200,000 Rohingya children need urgent support: UNICEF
More than 200,000 Rohingya children, who have fled to Bangladesh from Myanmar, are at risk and they need urgent support, UNICEF said Tuesday, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
“This is a growing humanitarian crisis and children are at the heart of this crisis,” Jean Lieby, chief of Child Protection of UNICEF Bangladesh, said in a news conference at Bangladesh’s Cox’s Bazar near Myanmar border.
According to preliminary data, Lieby said, 60 percent of the refugees are children.
“The first thing you see here in different Rohingya camps is the large number of children. You see children who have not slept for days, they are weak and hungry,” he said.
He said the UNICEF believes 200,000 Rohingya children need urgent support.
The UNICEF official also expressed deep concern for the separated children. “We have identified 1,128 children who are separated. However, we expect this number to increase a lot in the coming days”.
“As camps are growing every day we need to provide safe drinking water and basic sanitation. We want to prevent the incidence of water-borne diseases,” he added.
Since Aug, 25, more than 370,000 Rohingya have crossed from Myanmar's western state of Rakhine to Bangladesh, according to the UN.
Related news releases
- 24.11.2017Kyrgyzstan’s new president officially takes office
- 24.11.2017Eight 'North Korean fishermen' wash ashore in Japan
- 24.11.2017Iranian warships to head for Gulf of Mexico
- 23.11.2017Saudi Arabia bans photos, videos at Islam’s two holiest sites
- 23.11.2017Palestinian factions agree to hold general elections by end-2018
- 22.11.2017Iran’s General Soleimani: Over 6,000 deceived young members of Daesh carry out suicide attacks
- 22.11.2017Khamenei: Fall of Daesh was also a blow to U.S.
- 22.11.2017Medicine and bread prices go up in Iran
- 22.11.2017Lebanon PM Saad Hariri 'suspends' resignation
- 22.11.2017North Korea punishes top military leaders
- 22.11.2017Russian president, Israeli prime minister discuss Mideast settlement in Syrian context
- 22.11.2017Journalist shot dead at point blank range by police in northeast India
- 21.11.2017Army chiefs discuss de-escalation zones in Syria
- 21.11.2017Iranian president declares end to ISIS
- 21.11.2017Pakistani forces rescue 18 hostages near Iran’s border
- 21.11.2017At least three dead, 20 feared trapped after plant in India collapses
- 21.11.2017Suspected cholera cases in Yemen hit 940,000: WHO
- 20.11.2017Iran president due in Russia on Wednesday for tripartite talks
- 20.11.2017Third round of Iran-EU talks kicks off in Tehran
- 20.11.2017Iraq top court declares Kurdish referendum ‘unconstitutional’
- 20.11.2017Tuck-minibus collision leaves 17 dead in Pakistan
- 19.11.2017Syrian army clashes with IS in Abu Kamal — SANA
- 19.11.2017Militants shell southeastern outskirts of Damascus — media
- 18.11.2017India's Manushi Chhillar wins Miss World 2017
- 18.11.2017Japanese tug boat crashes into US warship during exercise
- 18.11.20173 PKK terrorists killed in northern Iraq
- 18.11.20176.9 magnitude earthquake hits southern China
- 18.11.2017Japan begins disposal of radioactive waste from Fukushima disaster
- 18.11.2017Hariri to leave Saudi Arabia for France on Friday: MP
- 17.11.2017World's first human head transplant carried out
- 17.11.2017Yemeni governor announces resignation
- 16.11.2017Pakistan's parliament restores finality of prophet law
- 16.11.2017Suicide bomber kills nine near Afghan political meeting
- 16.11.20172,200 cholera deaths recorded in Yemen since April: WHO
- 15.11.201748 terrorists killed, 13 villages taken in Iraq's Anbar
- 15.11.2017Opium production in Afghanistan hits record high: UN
- 15.11.2017East China road accident death toll rises to 18
- 15.11.2017Muslim state’s meddling in Lebanon ‘shameful’: Iran’s Rouhani
- 15.11.2017Indonesian police officer killed in shooting near Freeport mine
- 14.11.2017Syrian National Dialogue Congress to be held in early December
- 13.09.2017Five crew missing after dredger collides with tanker off Singapore
- 13.09.2017Iraqi MPs call for crisis meeting on Kurd region poll
- 13.09.2017Suicide bomb near cricket stadium in Afghan capital kills at least three
- 12.09.2017Airstrikes kill 14 terrorists in Kirkuk: Iraqi sources
- 11.09.2017Israel welcomes decision to pardon blogger Lapshin
- 10.09.2017First Summit on Science and Technology of Organization of Islamic Cooperation starts in Astana