200,000 Rohingya children need urgent support: UNICEF
More than 200,000 Rohingya children, who have fled to Bangladesh from Myanmar, are at risk and they need urgent support, UNICEF said Tuesday, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
“This is a growing humanitarian crisis and children are at the heart of this crisis,” Jean Lieby, chief of Child Protection of UNICEF Bangladesh, said in a news conference at Bangladesh’s Cox’s Bazar near Myanmar border.
According to preliminary data, Lieby said, 60 percent of the refugees are children.
“The first thing you see here in different Rohingya camps is the large number of children. You see children who have not slept for days, they are weak and hungry,” he said.
He said the UNICEF believes 200,000 Rohingya children need urgent support.
The UNICEF official also expressed deep concern for the separated children. “We have identified 1,128 children who are separated. However, we expect this number to increase a lot in the coming days”.
“As camps are growing every day we need to provide safe drinking water and basic sanitation. We want to prevent the incidence of water-borne diseases,” he added.
Since Aug, 25, more than 370,000 Rohingya have crossed from Myanmar's western state of Rakhine to Bangladesh, according to the UN.
Related news releases
- 20.09.2017Turkey mulling sanctions over Kurdish referendum
- 19.09.2017Turkish jets kill 3 PKK terrorists in northern Iraq
- 19.09.2017Iran says it will not renegotiate nuclear deal
- 19.09.2017Iraqi Turkmen leader: Barzani plans to annex Kirkuk to Kurdish region
- 19.09.2017Palestine: President, Hamas' Haniyeh talk on phone
- 19.09.2017North Korea: UN sanctions motivate acceleration of nuclear weapon development
- 19.09.2017Turkish president speaks with Iraqi PM on phone
- 18.09.2017Iraq Supreme Court orders suspension of Kurdistan referendum
- 17.09.2017Turkey names new head to religious affairs directorate
- 16.09.2017Car bomb kills one, wounds 10 in disputed Iraqi oil city
- 16.09.2017Iraqi army liberates ISIS-held Akashat town near Syria border
- 16.09.2017Rouhani urges EU to pressure US
- 15.09.2017Islamic State claims responsibility for London blast:
- 15.09.2017Turkish Deputy PM meets Rohingya group's head
- 15.09.2017Seoul holds emergency National Security meeting after North Korean missile test
- 15.09.2017North Korea fires missile over Japan that lands far out in the Pacific
- 14.09.2017At least 50 die in twin attacks in Iraq
- 14.09.2017Airstrikes kill 5 PKK terrorists in eastern Turkey
- 14.09.2017Malaysia’s prime minister calls Myanmar violence genocide
- 14.09.201725 dead in fire at religious school in Malaysia
- 14.09.2017Evacuated Islamic State fighters reach Syria's Deir al-Zor: pro-Damascus commander
- 14.09.2017North Korea accused of raising money by stealing bitcoins in hack attacks
- 13.09.2017Suicide bomb near cricket stadium in Afghan capital kills at least three
- 13.09.2017Iraqi MPs call for crisis meeting on Kurd region poll
- 13.09.2017Five crew missing after dredger collides with tanker off Singapore
- 12.09.2017200,000 Rohingya children need urgent support: UNICEF
- 12.09.2017Airstrikes kill 14 terrorists in Kirkuk: Iraqi sources
- 11.09.2017Israel welcomes decision to pardon blogger Lapshin
- 10.09.2017First Summit on Science and Technology of Organization of Islamic Cooperation starts in Astana
- 10.09.2017North Korea's Kim Jong Un fetes nuclear scientists, holds celebration bash
- 10.09.2017Rohingya insurgents declare temporary ceasefire amid humanitarian crisis
- 10.09.2017North Korea 'secretly helped by Iran to gain nuclear weapons', British officials fear
- 10.09.2017US warplanes stop shadowing ISIL convoy at Russia’s request
- 10.09.2017Rouhani, Erdogan meet in Astana ahead of OIC summit
- 10.09.2017Policeman martyred in vehicle accident in Turkey's east
- 10.09.2017PKK attacker on Turkish opposition convoy identified
- 09.09.20177 PKK terrorists killed in SE Turkey and Iraq's north
- 09.09.2017Deir ez-Zor: Syrian, Russian forces inflict biggest defeat on ISIL in 3 years
- 09.09.2017Pakistan summons Myanmar ambassador over Rohingya issue
- 08.09.2017Tehrani worshipers protest violence against Rohingya Muslims
- 25.03.2016Kim Jong Un: North Korea Ready to Attack Seoul Government Buildings
- 25.03.2016Turkish council calls for safe zone in northern Syria
- 25.03.2016Iran's Rouhani making first visit to Pakistan as president
- 25.03.2016Triple suicide bombings kill 22 in Yemen's Aden: official
- 24.03.2016Next round of intra-Syrian talks to start before Syrian elections — HNC spokesman
- 24.03.2016UNSC Extends North Korea Sanctions Experts' Mandate, Urges Compliance