'White House intruder' arrested on grounds while Trump at residence - UPDATED
A man has been arrested after breaching the White House grounds carrying a backpack, the Secret Service said, APA reports citing BBC.
The breach happened around midnight on Friday while President Donald Trump was in the building, the agency said.
The intruder was arrested without incident and no hazardous materials were found in the backpack.
Mr Trump and Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly were briefed on the incident.
The Secret Service said agents searched the grounds and found "nothing of concern to security operations".
Intruders have broken into the grounds of the White House before by scaling the perimeter fence, They are usually handed over to local police.
In 2014, 42-year-old Omar Gonzales made it through the north portico doors into the building, armed with a three-and-a-half-inch (9cm) folding knife.
He was arrested just after making it inside the doors, the Secret Service said at the time.
Related news releases
- 25.03.2017U.S. sanctions 30 firms, individuals for aiding Iran, North Korea arms programs
- 25.03.2017GOP House leader addresses media after health care replacement bill pulled
- 24.03.2017Italian Eni finds promising oil reserves off Mexican coast
- 24.03.2017Venezuela to withdraw troops after Colombia border crossing
- 24.03.2017UN Security Council calls for immediate efforts to honor permanent truce in South Sudan
- 24.03.2017State Department to approve Keystone pipeline permit on Friday
- 23.03.2017US Senate Confirms Trump Nominee David Friedman to Be US Ambassador to Israel
- 23.03.2017Belgian police arrest man after car attack attempt
- 23.03.2017Empty cartridges 4 people killed in series of shootings in US
- 23.03.2017US Secretary of State: 'I did not want this job'
- 19.03.2017Trump wants to build 30-foot-high wall at Mexican border
- 19.03.2017Legendary Rock'n'Roll icon Chuck Berry dies at 90
- 19.03.2017Venezuela prison mass grave yields 15 corpses, three headless
- 19.03.2017Man detained after hopping bike-rack barrier near White House
- 18.03.2017Trump: US ideally seeks peaceful solution to Ukraine conflict
- 18.03.2017In first Trump-Merkel meeting, awkward body language and a quip
- 17.03.2017Tillerson delivers stark warning to North Korea of possible military response
- 17.03.2017US considers Syria-Israel fire exchange to be bilateral matter - Pentagon
- 17.03.2017Iran sentences daughter of late president to jail for second time
- 17.03.2017McDonald's deletes Trump tweet, says Twitter account compromised
- 16.03.2017U.S. Secretary of State to visit Turkey on March 30
- 16.03.2017Treasury's Mnuchin says Trump doesn't want trade wars
- 16.03.2017Trump – only US president who has 8-year plan: government consultant
- 16.03.2017Hawaii judge halts Trump's new travel ban before it can go into effect
- 16.03.2017US: Hack for WhatsApp discovered
- 15.03.2017US Senate confirms ex-senator Dan Coats as Director of National Intelligence
- 15.03.2017UN has 'no intention' to arbitrate in Cyprus talks
- 15.03.2017Snowstorm weakens after leaving at least 7 dead
- 10.03.2017US to host anti-İS coalition summit
- 10.03.2017US brigade combat team test new shadow drones in Germany
- 10.03.2017Senate committee approves Trump intelligence nominee Coats
- 09.03.2017WikiLeaks will share CIA hacking tools with tech companies: Assange
- 08.03.2017UN Security Council condemns North Korea launches
- 08.03.2017OPEC begins dialogue with US shale oil
- 08.03.2017Train collides with charter bus in Mississippi, at least 3 killed
- 07.03.2017Trump says he is working on plan to bring down drug prices
- 07.03.2017WikiLeaks claims to reveal US spy agency's secrets
- 07.03.2017Trump blames Obama over Russia's annexation of Crimea
- 07.03.2017Trump says us uses whole spectrum of military capabilities to deter N. Korea
- 07.03.2017UN nuclear agency confident of cooperation with Trump administration
- 11.03.2017Death toll in Guatemala's youth shelter fire rises to 38
- 12.03.2017High profile US prosecutor Bharara fired
- 14.03.2017US begins drone deployment to South Korea
- 11.03.2017Muhammad Ali’s son detained at US airport for second time this year
- 11.03.2017US Congressman made statement on Khojaly genocide
- 11.03.2017Thousands rally against Dakota pipeline in US capital