'White House intruder' arrested on grounds while Trump at residence - UPDATED
A man has been arrested after breaching the White House grounds carrying a backpack, the Secret Service said, APA reports citing BBC.
The breach happened around midnight on Friday while President Donald Trump was in the building, the agency said.
The intruder was arrested without incident and no hazardous materials were found in the backpack.
Mr Trump and Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly were briefed on the incident.
The Secret Service said agents searched the grounds and found "nothing of concern to security operations".
Intruders have broken into the grounds of the White House before by scaling the perimeter fence, They are usually handed over to local police.
In 2014, 42-year-old Omar Gonzales made it through the north portico doors into the building, armed with a three-and-a-half-inch (9cm) folding knife.
He was arrested just after making it inside the doors, the Secret Service said at the time.
Related news releases
- 27.06.2017U.S. says it will work with travel industry to implement travel ban
- 27.06.2017Trump says Obama 'colluded' on Russia, without giving evidence
- 26.06.2017In victory for Trump, Supreme Court revives Trump travel ban
- 26.06.2017Supreme Court partially reinstates Donald Trump's travel ban
- 25.06.2017Donald Trump congratulates Muslims on Eid al-Fitr holiday marking end of Ramadan
- 25.06.2017Colombian police arrest 8 suspects in connection with Bogota shopping mall blast
- 25.06.2017One dead, one injured in California shooting
- 25.06.2017Clashes between rival criminal gangs in Mexico leaves seven people dead
- 25.06.2017US issues arrest warrants for five former VW Managers in Emissions fraud scandal
- 24.06.2017Plane crashes into empty Florida daycare building; 1 killed
- 24.06.20175.7-magnitude quake hits off Coracora, Peru
- 24.06.2017Four Venezuelan parliament workers hurt in Caracas clashes
- 23.06.2017Trump nominates Robert Wood Johnson as ambassador to UK
- 23.06.2017Canadian leader says Muslims must fight terrorism
- 22.06.2017Trump has no recordings of talks with FBI ex-director Comey
- 22.06.2017Trump says 'we have a great relationship with China' after critical tweet
- 21.06.2017US crude falls to lowest level in 10 months
- 21.06.2017US F-16 catches fire during takeoff in Texas
- 21.06.2017U.S. Attorney General Sessions hires private attorney
- 21.06.2017UN praises Turkey's hospitality towards refugees
- 21.06.2017Canada: Anti-terror law beefs up cyber threat powers
- 21.06.2017U.S. shoots down drone close to Iraqi-Syrian border
- 21.06.2017U.S. imposes new sanctions on Russia over Ukraine
- 21.06.2017New Mexico Lab Shutdown Endangers US Nuclear Arsenal
- 20.06.2017U.S. State Department 'mystified' by Gulf states on Qatar
- 20.06.2017Argentina police seize cache of hidden Nazi artifacts
- 20.06.2017Four Mexican federal police killed in ambush in Guerrero
- 20.06.2017Otto Warmbier, US student released from North Korea has died
- 19.06.2017Cuba calls Trump speech on island 'grotesque spectacle'
- 18.06.2017Several sailors' bodies found on stricken Navy destroyer
- 18.06.2017Explosion in Bogota shopping center kills at least three, wounds nine
- 18.06.2017U.S. welcomes Syria cease-fire, urges opposition to halt attacks
- 17.06.2017U.N. chief set to name new Libya envoy after rare contentious search
- 17.06.2017Seven U.S. soldiers wounded in insider attack at Afghan base
- 17.06.2017Trump commends Trudeau for boosting Canada’s military spending
- 16.06.2017Trump orders clampdown on Cuba travel and trade, curbing Obama detente
- 16.06.2017UN unable to confirm death of Daesh leader Baghdadi
- 16.06.2017US sending almost 4,000 extra forces to Afghanistan
- 16.06.2017U.S. Vice President hires counsel to deal with Russia probe inquiries
- 16.06.2017Senate passes new sanctions on Iran, Russia
- 11.03.2017Death toll in Guatemala's youth shelter fire rises to 38
- 12.03.2017High profile US prosecutor Bharara fired
- 14.03.2017US begins drone deployment to South Korea
- 11.03.2017Muhammad Ali’s son detained at US airport for second time this year
- 11.03.2017US Congressman made statement on Khojaly genocide
- 11.03.2017Thousands rally against Dakota pipeline in US capital