White House: China abstained from UN vote on Syria thanks to Trump-Xi meeting
A White House official said on Wednesday that China abstained from the UN Security Council vote on Syrian resolution partially because of the new relations that the leaders of both the United States and China forged last week, APA reports quoting sputniknews.
China’s abstention in the UN Security Council vote on Wednesday on a draft resolution concerning the chemical attacks in Syria’s Idlib province came in part because of the relationship US President Donald Trump forged with Chinese President Xi Jinping last week, a senior White House official said according to a press pool report.
"The official credited China’s abstention to the summit where [Trump] forged an important relationship with Xi," the pool report stated.
The official noted that Xi meet with Trump’s grandchildren during his visit to the Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida on April 6-7, which had a big impact on developing a good relationship between the two leaders.
The official added that China’s decision to abstain from voting in the UN Security Council indicates the government of Syrian president Bashar Assad has been isolated internationally.
Russia and Bolivia voted against the draft resolution while China, Ethiopia, Kazakhstan abstained from the vote.
Related news releases
- 17.01.2018Venezuela helicopter pilot Oscar Pérez killed in raid
- 17.01.2018U.S.-led meeting urges North Korea pressure despite North-South detente
- 17.01.2018Internal solution to Syria would be better: UN chief
- 17.01.2018US withholds $65M aid to Palestine: State Dept
- 17.01.2018Trump administration to appeal 'Dreamer' immigrant ruling
- 16.01.2018At least seven killed in military helicopter crash in Colombia - Army
- 16.01.2018US president hails Qatar anti-terror role
- 15.01.2018Russia’s Lavrov slams US statements on Iran nuclear deal
- 14.01.201813 dead, 39 hurt in multi-vehicle crash in Brazil
- 14.01.2018False missile alert sparks Hawaii panic
- 14.01.2018Trump, Lighthizer discuss China, NAFTA trade talks: White House
- 13.01.2018General Motors reveals self-driving car without steering wheel - VİDEO
- 13.01.2018Florida monkeys to be evicted after study finds they carry lethal Herpes B virus
- 13.01.2018Death toll from California mudslides climbs to 18
- 13.01.2018Food riots in Venezuela leave four dead, 16 wounded
- 13.01.2018Trump should apologize for any vulgar language, says Haiti's ambassador to U.S.
- 13.01.2018U.S. sanctions head of Iran's judiciary, others, over human rights abuses
- 13.01.2018Reluctant Trump grants sanctions relief to Iran one last time
- 12.01.2018Trump uses vulgarity in describing Haiti, African nations
- 12.01.2018Zuckerberg announces new changes to Facebook
- 12.01.2018Trump says he has a "very good relationship" with Kim Jong Un
- 12.01.2018Key Fed official slams U.S. tax cuts for imperiling economy
- 12.01.2018US Treasury to impose new sanctions on Iran
- 11.01.2018Trump to attend Davos economic forum: White House
- 11.01.2018State Dep't: US to fight Iran's presence in Syria with aggressive sanctions
- 11.01.2018Trump says US could stay in Paris climate accord
- 11.01.2018Death toll rises to 17 in California mudslides
- 11.01.2018US: Pence to head delegation to South Korea Olympics
- 11.01.2018U.S. concerned by Iran crackdown, 'will not remain silent': White House
- 10.01.2018Trump says U.S. open to talks with North Korea: White House
- 10.01.2018Magnitude 7.6 earthquake strikes off Central America
- 10.01.2018Death toll reaches 13 killed in Southern California deluge - UPDATED - VİDEO - UPDATED
- 10.01.2018Trump signals he could endorse immigration deal
- 10.01.2018Jeff Bezos is the richest person in the world
- 09.01.2018At least 5 dead as rain, mud roil California in US
- 09.01.2018Fed's Kashkari: Keep interest rates low to boost wages, inflation
- 09.01.2018Pentagon Chief: Iranian people are ‘fed up with’ revolutionary regime
- 09.01.2018US ending temporary residence for 200,000 Salvadorans
- 08.01.2018Two injured in fire at New York's Trump Tower - UPDATED
- 07.01.2018Trump hopes Korea talks extend beyond Olympics
- 13.04.2017US intelligence intercepted communications between Syrian military and chemical experts
- 13.04.2017Trump says 'things will work out fine' with Russia
- 13.04.2017Pentagon drops 'mother of all bombs' in Afghanistan for first time ever - UPDATED
- 13.04.2017Venezuela protests spread to poor areas, two more deaths amid unrest
- 13.04.2017Trump, NATO chief hold joint news conference
- 12.04.2017Russia vetoes U.N. resolution on Syria attack, China abstains